Guest Ingvarr

index.php?automodule=downloads&req=display&code=sst&id=2043
File Name: PTap

File Submitter: Ingvarr

File Submitted: 15 Dec 2006

File Updated: 26 Jan 2007

File Category: Pocket PC Phone Edition Software

Take note that this is an edition for ASUS P525 smartphone

Important - if you had version 1.0* installed, you need to remove it manually before installing a newer one

This software will replace the built-in T9 phone keypad input method with a new one.

Basically, this is a variation of the "letterwise" input method - instruction in one sentence is:

Hit the key with the letter you want, if it doesn't come up, hit Next("0+") until it does.

This first version does not do true predictive input yet, but its planned for future versions. Currently it's just a variation of "multitap" with important feature that it works almost in every application where soft keyboard works. Own P525's T9 works only in some apps (most notably it isnt working in Internet Explorer page input fields or Opera).

Also you can add own keypad languages/layouts - just edit kbddef.txt file. Make sure its properly formatted (empty lines count), and the file ends with empty line too. You may need to do soft reset to activate new layouts if you've edited the kbddef.txt.

Also it does not use IME, so you can turn standard "IME word completion" back on via "ASUS T9 utility".

Take note that custom input works only when its icon in "active" (highlighted) state. This is because some applications expect keypad in "numeric" mode instead of text mode, if so - you can activate PTap by long pressing "*"(or tapping in input method icon via stylus) and deactivate it by long pressing "*" and choosing "Deactivate" from menu or tapping on icon via stylus.

Most often you dont need to worry about it, since most applications automatically activate input icon when you enter text entering controls and deactivate it when you leave them.

Changelog

Version 1.1:

- added the symbols panel. It can be called via long press of # (then it will auto-hide after symbol is entered), or via menu (then it will not auto-hide and you can enter several symbols). Symbols can be entered by choosing them via joystick or by typing their code. To show/hide symbol codes, press # when symbol panel is shown.

Click here to download this file

Guest Ingvarr

Currently I'am finishing the Symbol Input Panel (on the long "#", also will be customizable).

Then, I will fully commit to finishing proper LetterWise predictive method (if you want to see how it should work with full implementation, you can see this demo - http://www.eatoni.com/demo/abc-ww.zip

After I will finish full LetterWise support, I think I will also add the "classic multitap" (with popup letter hints) for password entering and also for entry in the (rare) apps that does not support "editing inplace" and require the proper key sent to them in one click.

Edited by Ingvarr

• 3 weeks later...
Currently I'am finishing the Symbol Input Panel (on the long "#", also will be customizable).

Then, I will fully commit to finishing proper LetterWise predictive method (if you want to see how it should work with full implementation, you can see this demo - http://www.eatoni.com/demo/abc-ww.zip

After I will finish full LetterWise support, I think I will also add the "classic multitap" (with popup letter hints) for password entering and also for entry in the (rare) apps that does not support "editing inplace" and require the proper key sent to them in one click.

NEAT! hopefully this is compatible with the Gigabyte i120 which i just bought online :) oh anyway happy new year~

Guest Ingvarr

Apparently it's not compatible with i120, at least for now according to users reports... Apparently i120 it requires some other method of num key trapping.

But you can test it on i120, maybe Ill be able to manage it work there.

Edited by Ingvarr

• 2 weeks later...
Guest incubon

Good day sir!

Maybe you could change the whole input thing (or make it optional) so that the next letter would be on the corresponding button..

Because I've tried using your software on my p525 and it's really hard for me to get used to pressing 0 if i want the next letter to pop-up..

Thanks and more power!

Guest Ingvarr

I dont intend to implement multitap in near time.

First of all, near work is predictive input that will minimize needed presses of "next"(0+)

Secondly, even without predictive input its faster then multitap - because you dont have to press additional key (or wait for timeout) when entering several letters from same number. It just require some adaptation.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest lspatricio
version 1.1 uploaded - added the symbol panel.

nice work @Ingvarr. i can't wait for your next update with all the other features, like predictive input. thanks for this app. i'm loving my P525 even more. ;)

Guest Ingvarr
is there any chance for the wizard version?

I dont think its needed there ;)

PTap is input method for hardware numeric keypad (as on ordinary phone).

The only hardware keypad Wizard have is already full qwerty - so if you can push buttons there already, it makes no sense to push only numbers and not letters :D

• 1 month later...
Guest robynmks

asus p525 vs. gigabyte i120 help!?

i was wondering if you could help me. All I want is a windows PDA phone that has a numeric keypad that I can use predictive text with. (I've used sony p910 for 3 years and it was perfect... only now, I need

Windows for veterinary medicine software (to use at work)). I just purchased the gigabyte i120 for its "Smart input", and much to my disappointment, my version does NOT have smart input installed! SO, i've tried contacting company...no success so far. I'm considering buying the Asus p525 then (to use with T-mobile in the US). Can you please tell me if the Asus phone has both T9 and Multitap? or is that what you have been working on.... what does the phone come with- only T9? I'd have to upgrade?

Do you know how i can get smart input installed on my i120? and lastly, are there ANY other phones with numeric keypads with predictive text that work well? O2 stealth, dallub dx8? axia 308?

Any advice would be MUCH appreciated. I already spent $500 on the 'useless' i120 since NO keypad input except numbers!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Ingvarr

Asus P525 goes with T9 and multitap by default. It works marvelously, though not in every application - only in apps that use standard text input controls.

PTap was made to allow for text input in every application, even in apps that does not use standard text edit boxes and actually require a "virtual keyboard".

Unfortunately, I dont know much about i120. Though I too thought it should have some form of text input, but I never held i120 in hands - so no idea here...

• 11 months later...
Guest jpmiv

Hi Ingvarr!

I just installed PTap on my P525 and it's a big improvement over the default T9 input. It takes some getting used to for those who are using multitap but practice makes perfect.

Nice work! :D

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.