Upgrading from M5000 to what?

Guest buono

I love my M5000 to bits. Without doubt the best piece of kit I have ever owned.

What are people upgrading to next?

I don't want to lose the keyboard, screen or wifi.

Any pointers?

Guest Confucious

The Athena is not supposed to be the replacement to the Universal, the Omni is - but that's just minor improvements and there doesn't seem to be much news on it recently. The Athena, on the other hand, is a step up and likely to be my next device - but until it's released there is still nothing to rival the Universal.

Guest matt1971

Well my contract is up for renewal and am keeping my M5000. However not to miss the chance of a freebie - Orange gave the chance to get another handset so I plumped for a M3100.

Probably not going to give up my M5000 for it but at least I can decide whether the smaller form factor will make up for the loss of the VGA screen.

Matt

Edited by matt1971

• 3 weeks later...
Guest squilla

I couldnt bare getting rid of my M5000 so I got the XDA Exec on 02 as im damned if im going to stay with Orange. I got 2 Universals now as the M5000 im using as a PDA, there is no memory on the XDA, it clogs up far quicker than the M5000, 2 apps and it throws Task Manager messages all over the place! Thats the only thing bugging me with the XDA, god knows what 02 have running in the background of thier software but its much heavier than Oranges.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest rickyburke

The Athena, to me, is not a replacement for the Universal, it doesnt really do anything more, apart from VGA out, which id never use, and a hard drive.

The HTC Omni is what im waiting for, as it runs WM6 (which the Athena doesnt) and will still retain the form factor as te Universal (albeit smaller), which is ergonomically perfect, and wont have a keyboard attached via magnets which is liable to fall off if you use the device laying flat, which i happen to do a lot with the Universal.

If the Athena ran WM6, then id be interested. But ive waited since Novmeber for something better to come along, and the Athena just isnt enough of an improvement for me to sign up to a new contract with.

Guest Confucious

I like the Athena - but hadn't realised it was WM5 - a bit of a bummer.

Haven't heard anything on the Omni for a while - where did you hear it runs WM6? From the bits I've seen on it it's not that much of an improvement on the Universal - do you have further info?

Cheers

Guest rickyburke

http://www.pdalive.com/showarticle.php?threadid=13113

Info from this source (italian, with translated bullets)

http://www.solopalmari.com/content/view/2653/2/

"The latter is reported to offer a resolution of 800 x 480 pixels within a 4-inches diagonal. As Windows Mobile supports VGA (640 x 480) screens only, this must mean the HTC Omni will be powered by the next version of the mobile OS"

:)

Here are the full specs of the HTC Advantage (formerly known as Athena)

http://www.seehtc.com/features.html

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Wildfire

I have had my M5000 for about 14 months now and in that time i have had a handful of replacements.

i love it to bits, but it is strating to show its age now, it crashes, locks up and freezes on a regular basis.

Its a shame this type of phone was not explored a bit more, had there been a faster model with a better processor and more memory then iw ould have gone for it.

Instead i have gone for the M3100, i have it on a weeks trial, i will see how it compares.

Guest Confucious
I have had my M5000 for about 14 months now and in that time i have had a handful of replacements.

i love it to bits, but it is strating to show its age now, it crashes, locks up and freezes on a regular basis.

Its a shame this type of phone was not explored a bit more, had there been a faster model with a better processor and more memory then iw ould have gone for it.

Instead i have gone for the M3100, i have it on a weeks trial, i will see how it compares.

Good luck with it, but what data plan are you on? Unless you are one of the lucky ones who managed to get OWU then data prices on O are prohibitive - these devices need unlimited data to make the most of them (IMHO) which is one of the reasons I'm with T - the excelent price plans and superb CS are just bonuses.

The screen on the M3100 is to small for me (I'm getting old, eyesite failing!) and the lack of 3.5mm headphone socket also put me off but it is a great phone - let us know what you think of it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest rickyburke

Well, ive pretty much decided on what i'll be replacing the M5000 with......The I-mate Ultimate 7150.

Heres a Spec Sheet

http://www.gsmarena.com/i_mate_ultimate_7150-1882.php

Looks like the natural replacement, with no other Pocket Pc coming close (which has WM6)

I've used WM6 and i can tell you it is amazing. Full HTML Email support, Great Windows Live Messenger, Terminal Services with full sound support along with loads of other things including Storage Card encryption.

trust me, wait a few months and get a WM6 Pocket PC.

Guest Confucious

Yup - The Athena, in its iMate incarnation it has WM6. be interested to see who releases it, if T-Mob due it prob will be my next device - although the Tosh G900 is also wortbh a look.

Guest Confucious
Got a link?

The iMAte 7150 is the NOT HTC Athena - but HTC say WM5 and iMate say WM6

Edited by Confucious

• 1 month later...
Guest pride

Am getting bored.

Am now 3 months out of contract & have phoned Orange asking if any upgrade to the M5000 is available - all the phones I was offered are more of a downgrade than an upgrade - even the Nokia N95.

Does anyone know of anything on the horizon that is an upgrade for the M5000 or am I looking at jumping ship to another operator (such as T-mobile or O2) to get a new phone??

Guest Monolithix (MVP)

Depends what you want instead. Bar the screen the M3100 is a superior device. The Ameo is the closest in terms of size (but its massive!). There are a few devices rumoured but nothing specifically to replace the M5000 on any network!

Guest pride
Depends what you want instead. Bar the screen the M3100 is a superior device. The Ameo is the closest in terms of size (but its massive!). There are a few devices rumoured but nothing specifically to replace the M5000 on any network!

Thanks for the reply. Yes, the ameo looks massive & doesn't seem to be a usable mobile phone/pda (I consider the Universal to be at the upper end of compromising size increases with increased functionality).

I think I will wait to see if WM6 brings anything out of the woodwork & stick with the Universal in the meantime.

• 2 months later...
Guest Mr.Clark
Depends what you want instead. Bar the screen the M3100 is a superior device.

That's the problem though, isn't it?

I don't think I'll be able to downgrade to a smaller (touch) screen after the XDA Exec... I'm road-testing an M3100 for one of my users, and to be honest, I'm not overly impressed with it. The keyboard is just too small, as is the screen. And the pointy stick that comes with it is rubbish.

To be perfectly honest, heresy though it probably is, I'm waiting for the iPhone to reach the UK, see if that's any good...