Off Topic: The iPhone is official!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Monolithix (MVP)

Nope, as mentioned elsewhere in the thread. Encece sums it up quite nicely actually. Its a touchscreen iPod with a phone, camera and email client bundled in. That's it. (Still looks damn shiney though :) )

Guest dskeeles
Obviously, a true Apple competitor to WM phones is not far off in the future though.

I'm not sure about that... WM devices are marketed and sold on their integration within the Office/Exchange environment. ie. a powerful mobile office suite. Since Apple don't have any presence in the desktop or server side, there's no synergy to be had from an iPhone that provides mobile PIM. I see iPhone and Windows Mobile 2005 having almost zero overlap; one's a consumer device, the other's a business tool. And if you want something that does both (and here I'm talking about things like Walkman and Carl Zeiss branding), Nokia and SE are happy to oblige.

If you want to join the flock of sheep with white earbuds hanging out of their ears...get an iPhone and have the same phone as every other Mac fanboy who all have the same G5 or Powerbook.
I usually swim against the current, but I eventually got an iPod video because you can ask "Has anyone got an iPod charger" and usually get a more positive response than "Has anyone got a Zen Vision:M charger"? I use my own, black, headphones though :-)

If you want greater functionality, infinite expandability, and diversity of products....stick with WindowsMobile.

Yep, agreed.

Guest dskeeles
Wouldn't you also like to be able to run third-party apps on it? :)

I would... but for many people, it would probably be enough to have Dashboard widgets (which iPhone supports) performing the task. Things like Currency Converters, Flight Planners, Weather display, Note Takers, ToDo Managers...

Guest samawil

Lets not forget that these will be the first phones from Apple...and it doesn't seem that they are geered at us techno freaks...it's directed at the people that currently have something like a flip moto and an ipod, and carry both...I bet that 3-6 months after the initial release, we will see the release of something very special...somethin(if only)

http://www.polymervision.com

Steve Jobs is da man...and I'll be getting an iphone or the entire family :)

L

Guest Webreaper
Credit where it's due - the UI on that, along with it's responsiveness and graphical smoothness - it does seem a lot better than any phone I've seen. Scrolling through the album cover art was very impressive!
Impressive, but how practical in day-to-day usage? If I've got 8GB of music (so, what, 50-100 albums, depending on compression) and I'm wanting to play a U2 album, am I going to flick through all the graphical covers and pick it? Well, maybe the first time. After that I'll just type in 'U' and select the name from a list. It's a classic Apple-ism - beautiful and elegant UI that actually makes something less efficient to use. :)

I usually swim against the current, but I eventually got an iPod video because you can ask "Has anyone got an iPod charger" and usually get a more positive response than "Has anyone got a Zen Vision:M charger"?

Whereas I use my XDA Mini S because almost every non-luddite on the planet has a mini-USB cable for either their PC or digital camera. :D

A 'hands on' from outside the display case? (from the pics)?

P

Yes, it does so far but.......

iLounge has had an opportunity to spend hands-on time with Apple's upcoming iPhone, and is in the process of updating this article with details and photos.

Looks like the "hands on" pics are yet to come.

Guest bongo_king
I think the fact it's a closed platform is a real bummer. Non expandable memory people can probably live with, battery is also a problem if (as I suspect) battery life sux!

P

There's the rub isn't it?

Smartphone = open platform

closed platform = stupid phone

I don't want to relive my youth of vicious Mac bashing, but that is pretty typical. The multi-touch screen is a nice gimic, and it looks very sexy - but if you can't get extra software for it and expand the functionality, then it's about as revolutionary as my gran's brick. I didn't like the iPod because although the scrollwheel was clearly brilliant and the thing looked nice, it didn't have enough buttons to do everything you want from a >£100 gadget, and the opperating system was a dog. I think this is going to be similar - looks good, some nice I/O innovations but basically pedestrian.

Having to endure the world and his pet monkey blathering about it as if Steve Jobs had invented the HD mp3 player, rather than just built a visually appealing one has been a bit of a bugbear for me. Are we going to have to look forward to the next 6 years of hearing how he created the bleeding Smartphone?

Not sure about that - it's a bit overpriced for something that most people already have. It's not for the high-end business market but that's where the price is pitched. 8GB isn't going to make many people drop their iPods, though it'll be appealing for the few people who don't already have one. I know there are a lot of Apple fans out there, but enough to want to fork out $600 for it???

Also - automatically senses WiFi? That's nice, but surely that's a savage drain on the battery. Does it have a clever chip, or Wi is permanently searching?

I think the most exciting thing about this announcement is that MS & HTC will brick it and pull their fingers out - WiFi as standard on all smartphones from now on? Here's hoping

Edited by bongo_king

Guest richard_d

Well if I was T-Mobile or Orange I would seriously consider bundling their PocketPC's with a decent size memory card, pre-loading a graphical launcher like ilauncher (and maybe something like SPB's full screen keypad) and get advertising - they must be able to cash in on all the hype surely? I know some people won't buy without an apple logo, but there must be some mileage in it.

Guest Stuart_f
Cingular, a unit of AT&T (up $0.13 to $33.94, Charts), will be Apple's sole U.S. partner. It's an exclusive multiyear agreement, which means no other carrier will be able to sell the iPhone through 2009.

In a move that could hurt BlackBerry maker Research in Motion (down $11.16 to $131.00, Charts), Apple will offer free push e-mail from Yahoo (down $0.34 to $27.58, Charts) on the phone device. RIM currently charges for its e-mail service.

Google (Charts) CEO Eric Schmidt, Yahoo co-founder Jerry Yang and Cingular Wireless CEO Stan Sigman each appeared with Jobs at some point during the keynote.

Source

Seems Apple have tied themselves up to quite a long exclusive contract with Cingular, I don't see a price war happening. The Yahoo push mail would seem to suggest they won't be playing activesync/Windows server anytime soon.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.