* * * * * 4 votes

• Please log in to reply
312 replies to this topic

echostats

echostats

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
Alright... I fixed my own problems. Check it out! The file is attached.

The following is all you have to do:
1. Take the attached file and put it in the "\Application Data\Home" folder on your Q. ( Attached File  osx.home.xml.zip   2.21KB   517 downloads )
2. Either restart your Q or in Settings, change your home screen to another home screen and then back to the Jammasoft OSX. This just makes the phone read the xml file that you just copied.

The following is what is changes/fixes:
1. It removes the "Home Serv" words at the top and instead reads "Finder File Edit View Window" just like OSX
2. It uses 12hr time as opposed to military time.
3. It changes the Finder icon link to the Resco File Manager, which I like a lot better than the stock file manager.

Just so the creator of this knows, I did not remove any of the credits that you placed in the xml file. And thank you very much for making such an awesome skin. I have looked everywhere and this is the most real OSX file ever.

I will be adding new wallpapers here soon and new desktop icons that read from the smartmonitor plugin.

Why try to beat something that's already the best? Just make it better. Feel free to ask me questions or make requests. I think I can figure the rest of this skinning stuff out.

Edited by echostats, 21 January 2007 - 03:03 PM.

echostats

echostats

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Hello it seems when I change profiles on my blackjack monitor plugin breaks and also file explorer and itune short cuts dont work any ideas?

Thanks!

Uhm the blackjack probably has the Windows Media program and the File explorer either named something different or in a different file. Basically, those icons at the bottom are just links to your file on your blackjack. It was made for a Q so it follows the Q's file structure. About the monitor plugin, I have no idea.

The only way to fix the links is to edit the xml file, which if you have to ask, is probably a bit too tricky. If you could tell me the exact location on you blackjack those programs are, I can make the file for you.

echostats

echostats

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Jamma,
Would it also be possible to change the default click response, ie. when i hit select i am brought to the wireless manager. That, and the above suggestions would make this simply the best!

Also, is it possible to get rid of the windoze start menu at the bottom of the screen. Seeing that logo really ruins my enjoyment of "mac os" on my phone.

Thanks again!

As you see above, I have done the changes that I was asking about. Just download the file and follow the easy instructions.

Basically, I just got this phone and I am really excited to get it looking and working exactly how I want it. This skin is by far the best and I am gonna work to make it better. I also have plans for a "dashboard" like home screen and some other ideas for this skin as well.

About the start menu, I totally agree. My goal is to figure out how to just hide it BUT the only downside of that is it will not show up that you have a missed call or message. Jamma has it setup to show that in the bottom right, which is perfect. So we will see...

As I said above, I am new at this but I'm a quick learner. I will see what I can come up with.

The idea setup would be remove the start menu and have the new messages and calls show up as icons on the desktop. But who knows if I can pull that off.

Please feel free to give suggestions.

Jamma14

Jamma14

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts
  • Devices:T-Mo Dash
First off, thanks for all the comments. :)
No thanks to whoever gave the theme 1 star but failed to post saying why...but anyway I'm not bitter or anything...:)

At anyone who is having problems...just try uninstalling everything then reinstalling the plugins and file linked to in the thread as that should all work fine - if something still isn't working, then feel free to shout at me. :D

At sleepdoc: No there is no way to change the default response because there can only be one selectable plugin on each page - which is the wifi plugin on the first one, which automatically links to the comm manager. You could take out the wifi plugin and put a rjshortcut of your choice in the xml above it but I felt I'd rather have the wifi plugin for more info on the first page.

At everyone wanting to change the shortcuts: It really isn't actually that hard. Everyone's phones will be different so I can't release hundreds of versions so all the shortcuts work with everyone, but if you want to change them yourselves it is actually very easy. Go to \Application Data\Home and move osx.home.xml to the pc. Open it in wordpad and within the xml there are lots of "shortcut target=" which are links to the programs. Whichever programs you want it to link to, just type in the path. CorePlayer is the only third party program but I included it because I think it's awesome and everyone should get it - the developer has put loads of effort into it so support him and buy it! (There is a free version called TCPMP as well though...)

At echostats: The bluetooth and signal icons cannot be used because of the limits the smartphone homescreen design has, it might've been achievable with the orange plugin, but I wanted to make this more accessible than some of my previous efforts. Also, I like your positive attitude in wanting to make it exactly like the real thing and more functional with missed calls, messages etc. but...
--Hiding start menu - impossible. It's not part of the homescreen it's an integral part of the whole smartphone os.
--New messages as a desktop icon - impossible without the orange plugin, so for this theme, impossible.
--Missed calls as desktop icon - missed calls plugin will come in the next release. It is possible to have it, but only on the first page (as for the dock to scroll properly there can only be one plugin per page) and it'll have to be under the smartmonitor icons.

Also the top left is a plugin for your carrier, eg if you are on T-Mobile it should say T-mobile, I'm just guessing you're on the carrier Home Serv...?

Well done for getting in there and editting it yourself! But I just want to make a few comments on the modifcations :D:
1. I could've changed it to the file finder etc. menu but thought it might be weird since they could not be selected, plus on the first page I wanted to have lots of information: wifi, sd, time, battery and carrier, so I decided to put in more plugins the plain text. Not sure about Home Serv, what carrier are you on?
2. I prefer military time and I believe it's the default on OS X.
3. I was wanting to make it more accessible, so all the shortcuts in the dock link to programs that are installed on default (apart from CorePlayer because I think it is the best smartphone application available and thought I would encourage its usage)!
So not so sure about "improvements"..maybe for you but not for everyone..:D

Like I said though echostats I really do appreciate the comments, and the work you're putting in to get it how you want.
However...I put a lot of work into this in the first place and made it generic because I wanted it to be open for everyone. If you look at the comment in the rar and on my website, you'll see that I was offering total recustomisations of the theme. I'm saving up for university next year but even after putting lots of work into the theme really didn't want to sell it because I wanted lots of people to be able to use it and appreciate it. So I instead left people with the option that if they do appreciate it and want a few things personalised (eg personal wallpaper, other links, plugins and icons on the dock and desktop) then they can contact me and I'll redo it to their design for a minimal fee.

When you say:
"I will be adding new wallpapers here soon and new desktop icons that read from the smartmonitor plugin."
"Feel free to ask me questions or make requests."
"But who knows if I can pull that off."
"Please feel free to give suggestions."

It may sound stupid, I don't know, but it kinda feels like you're stealing a bit of my thunder when I was the one asking for suggestions and trying to improve my theme for everyone in the first place, and then if it was appreciated then maybe some people would donate or if they didn't want to donate, request a custom to help support it.

I'm sorry if anyone thinks I'm outta line at all here considering it is a free theme, and echostats please don't feel like this is a personal attack or anything I really do appreciate what you've said, but thats just the way I feel. I totally don't mind anyone customising it at all, in fact I encourage it but I'm just not happy with anyone trying to take over the updates etc and basically take over the theme. If you have any requests or suggestions (or comments on this post!)...please let me know.

James

EDIT: Just to clarify, please everyone do feel free to edit it how you like, just don't start saying you're on a crusade to improve the theme or asking for requests or suggestions etc. And anyway, I have the psd so I can do all those things better than you, tens of times quicker. :D Let me update the theme myself. Although it's free, I still feel it's mine to give to the smartphone community.

Edited by Jamma14, 21 January 2007 - 08:06 PM.

www.JammaSoft.tk

SPV e100 ----> i-mate sp3i ----> SPV c550 ----> T-Mobile Dash

echostats

echostats

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

When you say:
"I will be adding new wallpapers here soon and new desktop icons that read from the smartmonitor plugin."
"Feel free to ask me questions or make requests."
"But who knows if I can pull that off."
"Please feel free to give suggestions."

EDIT: Just to clarify, please everyone do feel free to edit it how you like, just don't start saying you're on a crusade to improve the theme or asking for requests or suggestions etc. And anyway, I have the psd so I can do all those things better than you, tens of times quicker. :) Let me update the theme myself. Although it's free, I still feel it's mine to give to the smartphone community.

I totally understand what your saying and those comments that I made, although I did not mean to sound like I was "stealing your thunder", I clearly was. I'm sorry about that. Of course you know more about this, and that's why I really wanted you to respond. Please understand that just today I realized I was looked at the JOIN DATE under your name in your posts rather than the POST DATE. I basically thought you abandoned this theme. I feel retarded now that I see that you joined in 2004 and just responded like the other day! Very sorry about that but most forums the post date is there. My mistake.

About the military time, that is certainly NOT default on OS X but it's to each his own.

Just so you understand where I am coming from, I graduated from the Art Institute of Pittsburgh with a bachlors in Graphic Arts/Design and currently head up the art division as the Art Director of a national marketing company. I cannot stand when people, outside of work, tell me how I can do things better but never try to do it themselves. Because I thought you hadn't posted since 2004, I figured you'd abandoned it. I sat there upset because it's perfect but not PERFECT because of Verizon putting "Home Service" everywhere and the military time, etc. I looked around for an xml file because I figured that's what these ran off of and sure enough, it was easier to edit those small things than I thought!

Again, I apologize for seeming to take over the updates. I certainly was not intended to. Please understand that I was simply posting because I thought you had abandoned the project.

I look forward to recent updates. Thank you for everything you have done for the smartphone community. We all appreciate your work! It's the best, seriously.

echostats

echostats

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
Just to reiterate, I realize how retarded I am. It says it everywhere... last updated 1/19/07... yadda yadda. How I didn't see that, I don't know. SORRY

Jamma14

Jamma14

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts
Thanks for your post mate!
Glad you understand what I said...sorry about kinda biting you're head off! And let me be the first to say welcome to MoDaCo! Please don't let me put you off. And thanks for letting me know about the time...I'll change the style in the next update..:)

James

Oh and you have a PM that I think you'll like! :D

Edited by Jamma14, 21 January 2007 - 08:48 PM.

www.JammaSoft.tk

ashgotti

ashgotti

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
oh so exciting. cant wait to deck out my 2125 with the portrait version.

echostats

echostats

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Thanks for your post mate!
Glad you understand what I said...sorry about kinda biting you're head off! And let me be the first to say welcome to MoDaCo! Please don't let me put you off. And thanks for letting me know about the time...I'll change the style in the next update..:)

James

Oh and you have a PM that I think you'll like! :D

Yes, I LOVED the pm. Thank you so much. I can't wait!

sleepdoc

sleepdoc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Devices:Motorola Q
Wow, I sure missed a lot by being away from my computer all day watching football!

First off, thank you to echostats. You made some changes which, in all honesty, I tried to make myself. I thought the process seemed fairly simple, but I was wrong. None of my changes had an effect. Odd! I should stick to sleep research.

Jamma, I also thought it was odd the way echostats was seeming to take over your project. I am glad, however, that we were mistaken, and that you guys have kissed and made up. That was uncomfortable for a few moments as I read the thread.

Let's all hope that this project continues forward. I, for one, am proud of my "Mac" phone. I showed it off today and people thought it was very cool.

Oh, and I am really curious as to what was in that PM. Sounds like there are some new things coming in the next update...?

Edited by sleepdoc, 22 January 2007 - 03:45 AM.

echostats

echostats

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
Yea, sorry about the thread getting a little odd there. I would like to move on and forget how retarded I was... anyhow, Jamma's a great guy and he's gonna continue to "wow" us. Every q forum I go to, I always laugh when going to the homescreen section and looking at the "OS X" themes. They don't hold a drop of water compared to what he has put together.

Sleepdoc, I am glad I helped. I've talked with Jamma and he didn't realize that Verizon was so retarded and for some reason uses "Home Service" everywhere. Lucky him, his only said Orange, which fit perfect in the space he provided.

Any how, of course, a homescreen this good can only get better so I can't wait to see what Jamma updates next!

Jamma14

Jamma14

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts
At ashgotti: Sure, wait a few weeks though. :)

At everyone: Suggestions for the new update?

Here's what I'm thinking:
--Replace "Windows Mobile" with finder file etc as in pic
--Possibly replace the carrier plugin with finder file etc if people would prefer??
--Missed calls plugin
--Change time to am/pm :D
--Possibly change "CorePlayer" to "TCPMP"and change shortcut location as more people are likely to have TCPMP??

Can I hear your view on each of those and...
any other suggestions?

James

Note: I still plan on keeping the same wallpaper...the picture just gives an example of a custom wallpaper.

Attached File  new.jpg   85.61KB   80 downloads

And here's a teaser of the portrait version :D:

Attached File  teaser.jpg   74.98KB   74 downloads

Edited by Jamma14, 22 January 2007 - 11:42 AM.

www.JammaSoft.tk

echostats

echostats

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
Oh nice, a portrait version!

Here's my vote: I would love to see you continue to make this the most OS X theme ever all the way down to the file names. Basically, most people know what their icons are, and if not, they can click them once and then of course they will always knows... so you could use Finder instead of explorer, iPhoto, iTunes, iCal, etc. etc.

Just my two cents!

brettr

brettr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Devices:T-Mobile Dash
I have to agree with echostats, I think it would be great to have the OS X file names for the icons.

Thanks for awesome work!

sleepdoc

sleepdoc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Devices:Motorola Q
A definite, "yes, please", for the missed calls plug-in. Also, I would like to have events and to-dos show up in the calendar window.

"It's getting better all the time..."

sullitf

sullitf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Devices:Dash
I just loaded the skin on my Dash yesterday, but as of yet I really can't think of much that I think need changing. The AM/PM time would be nice just because I am not used to military time. As far as the core player/TCPMP icon, makes no difference to me personally because I have that button running SP Task Manager on my phone. A missed calls plugin would be helpful, but I dont really think necissary. I like the clean look of the skin now, so if you could integrate the missed calls plugin then awesome, but if not you can always tell you have a missed call when the right softkey is "call list" rather than "contacts", as well as from the top bar that shows up in the start menu and most programs.

I really love the way this is set up now, good work

DarkrhaveN

DarkrhaveN

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Devices:i607
It looks awsome. Anyone wanna give a n00b some step by step instructions on how to properly install this on an i607 ?

echostats

echostats

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
Jamma has some sweet things in store for us. You all just wait!

lkrsfn5

lkrsfn5

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Devices:Dash
hey jamma14 i really love the skin and can't wait for future updates. i like the tiger background, when will that be available?

Jamma14

Jamma14

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts
For each wallpaper, there are about ten different 213x320 bitmap images to make...which means about 2Mb for each wallpaper if I were to release multiple. So I do not plan on releasing any apart from the default OS X one. If you want a custom background or any custom icons/shortcuts/plugins then you can email or PM me requesting one.

James

Btw to give everyone an idea of progress and what kind of things to expect in the next release please see the to-do list on the first page.

www.JammaSoft.tk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users