Hermes volume control problem

Guest jnib

I've just made the relatively easy move from an HTC Universal (SPV M5000) to a more compact (and bijoux) HTC Hermes (SPV M3100 - hopefully someone will correct me if I've got any of these wrong!) I'm mostly very pleased with my new compact surroundings, but I don't seem to be able to get to grips with the volume controls. With the handset volume at its lowest level (not silent) it's still massively loud and the adjustment for the screen taps seems to be reversed - soft is very loud and loud is quieter.

Should I just try harder to find the hidden camera and the group of people who are watching me with great hilarity or has someone else encountered this? I have a terrible feeling that I'm missing something obvious, but it's just not obvious to me.

I have to admit that I'm the person that actually reads the manual (although I don't refer to the contents in normal conversation) and I haven't found anything there to correct the error of my ways.

Any suggestions, short of giving my phone away or selling my soul, will be well received.