SMT5600 Keeps Quiting After Boot UP

Guest Reisco

My SMT5600 was in my pocket the other day and began to vibrate. When I took it out of my pocket it was off. I turned it on and within about 10 seconds (normal boot up), it quit again. I thought it might have been the battery, so I charged the battery and it showed nearly a full charge after a few minutes (which was unusual since it had not been charged for a day or two and should have been 25-40%). Also, I have noticed in the past that the phone is finicky when I leave my area (GA, this all started in NY during a business trip) not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Anyway, I am able to occasionally get it to make a call but it dies within a minute (usually 10-30 seconds). It almost seems like the battery is dead but it is showing a full charge. I did a hard reset and it is still doing the same thing. (shut down once during the hard reset). Also, the screen goes dim then it shuts down.

Here is the weird part, with the sim card out the phone stays on, of course I can't use it. So I don't really believe that it is the battery. I have switched out sim cards and it does the same thing.

Any ideas? I searched and didn't really see anything that was helpful.

Also, if I am SOL, anyway to use the phone without a sim card (would like to keep it as a music/video player even if I can't use the phone). However, without a sim card I get the message "Invalid or missing...".

Edited by Reisco

• 2 weeks later...

i am having same issues with my imate sp3i. as far as i know the only thing indicating a problem that preceded the boot up issues was speaker having troubles with reproducing clear sound when playing media. but i attributed that to some problems with the 3rd party media player i installed because the sound issues happened to me before and went away.

i went through the same motions as OP. hard reset wouldn't help. phone doesn't die if the sim card is not in. if a different sim is put in, phone boots for around 25/30 seconds(usually gets through boot up process around that time) and then dies without getting to the phone home screen. the phone is unlocked.

any suggestions as to how to fix this? any help much appreciated.

Guest petargreat

i would try to reflash it, but be careful and find exactly the same version of the software (you will kill your phone by flashing wrong version if it changes boot).

BEFORE flashing take sim out and clean it also blow the dust from the

phone if there is any. Try your sim in other phone to be sure that is not sim related.

check battery also

good luck

i am having same issues with my imate sp3i. as far as i know the only thing indicating a problem that preceded the boot up issues was speaker having troubles with reproducing clear sound when playing media. but i attributed that to some problems with the 3rd party media player i installed because the sound issues happened to me before and went away.

i went through the same motions as OP. hard reset wouldn't help. phone doesn't die if the sim card is not in. if a different sim is put in, phone boots for around 25/30 seconds(usually gets through boot up process around that time) and then dies without getting to the phone home screen. the phone is unlocked.

any suggestions as to how to fix this? any help much appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest dat4ik

apparently in my case the battery went bad (it swelled up) and so i'm guessing it didn't provide enough voltage needed for antenna - would explain why phone stayed on w/out sim card.

new battery fixed the issue.