Orange M700 review delay

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)
orange_logo_header.gif
I've had a whole bunch of messages asking me if I plan to review the Orange SPV M700 and the other new Orange devices (S310 / E600).

Unfortunately, Orange's PR agency are only able to offer me a device with a 3 day turnaround, and I don't feel this is long enough to provide you, the readership, with a fair and considered review, which is what we strive to provide and is the least you should expect.

On this basis the SPV M700 review will be coming, but is delayed until such time as I purchase a handset myself.

Apologies! ;)

P

PS At least the handset is a real bargain in the MoDaCo Shop... FREE on an 18 month Dolphin £35 tariff, with either 5 months 1/2 price line rental, a FREE iPod Shuffle or a FREE Nokia Bluetooth headset. On top of that all purchases through the MoDaCo Shop are eligible for either a free 1 year subscription to MoDaCo Ad Free, £10 off MoDaCo Plus or £10 off MoDaCo CamerAware (perfect for the M700!). :D

I could do it if I was writing a 2 paragraph 'review' for a broadsheet perhaps ;)

P

Maybe that's where we are going wrong. Here's my review: The M700 is OK-ish!

Guest Gears

How to get bad press in one easy step. ;)

Sorry Orange, but CoolSmartPhone is the same. Three days? We could just about post a news item in that time. We've struggled to get such simple things as images (real ones, not graphics).

I'll say no more on this matter - we're completely puzzled at the sudden changes. Please Orange, just do a Google search for "Orange SPV"...

Guest Funster
Maybe that's where we are going wrong. Here's my review: The M700 is OK-ish!

You're being generous. It's rubbish, I sent it back within 7 days. In fact, you only need a day or so to realise it's a waste of time.

Funster

Guest Funster
Why's that funster?

P

Battery life was 40 hours max. Build quality was poor, my screen was off to the left, no black border on the left and 3mm of black on the right. GPS using the Orange Sat Nav was impossible to use, the software is very flakey. No post code search, finding any address was a real pain. Also, you have to enable the GPS via the registry. No way of checking if the GPS receiver was enabled or turned it off, you have to assume the GPS software is taking care of that. It looks very cheap and feels that same, the use of plastic throughout was off putting. Camera pictures were poor.

Call quality was good. It's small. Responsive to use.

Gone back to the M3100 and am happy again.

Funster

Edited by Funster

Guest Paul (MVP)

Damning!

I find when I switch away from the Hermes now I really miss the keyboard.

I actually had a HTC P3600 for a while, but it was a pre-release ROM so again, I didn't want to review based on that. I liked the size, didn't like the paint flake (it was a black one) and missed the keyboard. Integrated GPS is always handy though!

P

Damning!

I actually had a HTC P3600 for a while, but it was a pre-release ROM so again, I didn't want to review based on that. I liked the size, didn't like the paint flake (it was a black one) and missed the keyboard. Integrated GPS is always handy though!

P

Power to the people, now a 4 way Orange Bash. My post HERE.

Just google Orange M700 or SPV M700 Review and you'll find our 4 sites there on the first page and this is without reviewing the thing!

Guest Paul (MVP)

What's probably the hardest to take is the changes at Orange in this regard. Some networks have never spoken to us (and really, as a result, have had limited coverage on the sites). Others, such as Orange, have put real effort into their liaison, and IMHO have reaped the rewards.

P

Yes, it's a real shame to see the relationship that we once had with Orange slowly slipping away. I wonder if the days of getting devices AHEAD of general release are gone forever?

Guest Funster
Damning!

You're not wrong, I can't live without it. Just need a slightly smaller Hermes with GPS. I think it's the Kaiser I'm after or maybe the Wings.

Guest Paul (MVP)

Yeah, I would say so.

And to think I helped Orange beta test the M5000 well before release (and I think did a good job too!)... sigh...

P

Yeah, I would say so.

And to think I helped Orange beta test the M5000 well before release (and I think did a good job too!)... sigh...

P

Yeah and I was there with them on the M2000 working with beta ROMs with John Wolfe.

Guest sxywill2005

Its a real shame that Orange is slowly backing away from the Windows Mobile community. To say they were the first networks to release a Windows Mobile smartphone in the UK.

I've now got an offer of an M700 from the MoDaCo Shop as long as I need it to complete a review ;)

P

Also got an offer of an M700 from one of our readers and from another company that we deal with. Nice to see the community rise to the challenge.

I know we (Paul, Leigh, Marc and Me) kinda compete sometimes but it's great when we can come together on something like this!

Guest Brody

Personally I'd like to think I've always gotten on with you guys, there'll always be room for a community of sites, after all I know I like reading multiple reviews of products when trying to make my decision with regards purchasing a new device/gadget and I'm sure that's the case for most people ;)

Personally I'd like to think I've always gotten on with you guys, there'll always be room for a community of sites, after all I know I like reading multiple reviews of products when trying to make my decision with regards purchasing a new device/gadget and I'm sure that's the case for most people ;)

Dont get me wrong, I agree, we are all friends and there is enough traffic to go round but it's good we all have a common goal. Power to the people I say! :D