The official Orange SPV M700 'Ask Paul' thread

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

It's here! ;)

Courtesy of the MoDaCo Shop, we now have an Orange SPV M700 in for review... so now is your chance to hit me with any questions you have about Orange's newest 3G, GPS totin' Pocket PC!

As you can see we have the very lovely white model, which is the consumer model (black is reserved for business customers). Got a question? Ask away!

First impressions? Great form factor (so much thinner / lighter than a Hermes), good GPS performance (even indoors), very Orangey-themed and much better in white than black!

P

09-Mar-2007_m700.jpg

Guest generationgav

How good is the GPS? Vs. a bluetooth reciever anyway? I've heard mixed results.

Can you confirm (easy one I know) this device does not have any kind of hardware keyboard.

What's your opinions on this over the Hermes as a device to actually use?

Guest Paul (MVP)

The GPS seems very good so far, but I haven't given it a test yet rather than walking round the house / neighbourhood, so watch this space ;)

No hardware keyboard.

Vs the Hermes, it's lighter, has a nicer stylus (non telescopic) and a slightly nicer feeling directional pad, but it has less dedicated hardware buttons (I miss the dedicated messaging / IE buttons for example). Of course, OS wise, they are virtually identical (except for Orange's usual 'improvements' :D)

P

Guest The Doctor

Only got one question... does my MoDaCo Splash work on it? ;)

Oh, and how easy is it to get the back off on the one you have? The one in the shop took 3 phone trainers and myself!

Phil

Guest Paul (MVP)

I got the back off no problem, but then I knew what I was doing as i've had a P3600 previously.

Loan unit, so can't try your splash screen ;)

P

Guest idavid

this removal of the phonepad app is a big deal for me, its pushed me off pocketpc and back to smartphone. it makes single handed usage very awkward

Guest Paul (MVP)

Yeah, sucks. Good to see Dopod left it in tho, so it's still alive. I guess everyone else pulled it due to Tegic licencing costs :D

The Dopod builds are so great, I swear they read my mind sometimes! ;)

P

Guest Sonicr360

Hi, not for me really - Want to look at the I-600 from Samsung - when will we get a review of this?

Lack of keypad doesnt appeal.

Being on Orange make me hate it more (very bad experience with Orange, so will not go back there again!).

Simon

Guest Shuflie

I've got a quick question about the GPS, the only phone I've that with bulit-in GPS was a motorola A1000 which had AGPS, but the AGPS part wasn't very usable since most sat nav software wasn't able to find it. Does the GPS in the M700 just appear as a standard COM port that can be used just like a wired or bluetooth unit?

Guest Samsonite

did i read somewhere that there isnt a headphone socket on the M700? is it an all in one socket for power/charging and heapdhone/wired handsfree?

Guest Simon Desser

Paul, could you try something out for me please? I'm on my second handset but unfortunately they're both the same :D

When listening to music through the headphone socket, the sound is AWFUL! It's totally tinny and lacking any mid range or bass. I'm comparing it to lots of HTC products, the M600, SPV M3100, HTC Artemis etc.

The problem seems to be with the socket itself and not the phone as such, because music playback using bluetooth stereo headphones is perfectly acceptable (as good as any other HTC product ;) ) and it sounds as good as any other HTC phone out of the built in speaker.

Here's a little sound comparison connecting an M700 and an M3100 up to my PC.

I'm gutted because I use my phones as my music player, and I find the M700 unuseable :(

Is yours the same?

Thanks

Simon.

M700_v_M3100.mp3

Guest turtleman
(so much thinner / lighter than a Hermes)

Hey Paul, I keep seeing comparisons of the "trinity" aka M700 against the Hermes, but wouldn't it be more suitable to compare it against the TyTN? How would you rate the two in comparison? Which would be your preferred device (leaving the keyboard discussion aside)?

Thanks

Oliver

Guest mfvx5jb1

Must say I am very tempted by this but do you have any inkling whether it'll be appearing on T-Mobile? Due an upgrade (from a Vario which is bricked after being in the bath!) and don't have any reason to want to go back to O without some unlimited data.

Will make do with my work C600 'til it does appear

JCB

Guest Paul (MVP)

Samsonite, no dedicated headphone socket, it's an extUSB headphone connector.

)^Y, watch this space ;)

turtleman, Tytn = Hermes.

Simon, i'll try the headphones out shortly.

mfvx5jb1, No word on a T-Mo release yet, but i'd be surprised if they did tbh!

P

Guest dave_a
When listening to music through the headphone socket, the sound is AWFUL! It's totally tinny and lacking any mid range or bass. I'm comparing it to lots of HTC products, the M600, SPV M3100, HTC Artemis etc.

The problem seems to be with the socket itself and not the phone as such, because music playback using bluetooth stereo headphones is perfectly acceptable (as good as any other HTC product ;) ) and it sounds as good as any other HTC phone out of the built in speaker.

Simon.

I am having the same problem. There is a thread on xda developers about some of the dopod test roms having a similar problem so perhaps this has also sneaked into the orange rom?

Guest OzzMosiz

You can get a headphone jack converter - pretty cheap.

the bass on this M700 is absolutely terrible - not sure if this is hardware or software though!

Guest macdat

Thinking of upgrading my M600 to this.

Does this phone have built in GPS ? Can find no mention of it in the spec lists ?

Also wondering if i should wait a little while for Windows Mobile 6, but not sure when handsets will be available eg the HTC P4550, can you offer any advice ?

Thanks

Guest satnam100

Hi just got my M700 today, great little phone!

Could you please confirm / deny wheather HSDPA is activated by Orange, or would we have to do a ROM update? ;)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.