New from Microsoft - 'Lincoln - Mobile search using pictures

Guest lzitnick

Guest Monolithix (MVP)

The idea is you can just snap a pic and instantly(ish) pick up reviews of the film. Gives you a bit more than the blurb on the cover to go off when you're standing in Blockbuster and negates the need to google around on PocketIE...

Guest lzitnick

So why is this useful... Well as Monolithix said it's sometimes easier to search using a picture than by typing in a search (especially on a cell phone doing T9). If you think beyond DVDs, there's a lot of things that you can't search for using keywords, or it would be very difficult to find the right keyword (such as a picture on your friends wall by an unknown artist, a poster on a telephone pole, even graffiti, etc.) From my viewpoint the biggest win is getting very specific search results. If you take a picture of the DVD “Man of the Year”, I know you want to know more about the movie and not Time magazine’s “Man (person) of the year”. If you see a concert poster, it can return results very specific to that show, where to buy tickets, the bands’ music or directions to the show.

We are suffering from a chicken and the egg problem. It really becomes useful when there’s a large image database, but people only upload images if a lot of people are using it. This is the reason why we’re trying to add as much content ourselves as possible, and asking others to help.

Paul – Lets talk offline on how we might be able to bulk upload material. Can you shoot me an email? (its on my webpage).

Confucious – Yes it might be a little while until we get all the WM6 issues straightened out. There are currently several other things on “the list” before we get to it.

-Larry

MS Research

Guest Confucious

Hi Larry,

Just wondering if it is a confirmed WM6 issue? Just wondering because Quickmark ran on everything EXCEPT the Universal on WM5 for ages and it was only recently they bought out a version for the Universal - but now they have it does work on WM6.

So, has it been tested on a Universal running WM5? If so, did it work?

Has it been tested on any other WM6 devices?Just want clarify that the problem is is definately with WM6 not just the Universal.

Either way, I'm sure you have a lot more to sort out before getting round to fixing it.

Keep up the good work ;)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.