Photo

RUU on Vista: It can be done... the ultimate guide!

* * * * * 4 votes

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

desolateone

desolateone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:HTC3600i
does anyone have a complete set of working Vista64 drivers that work with this guide?

Shadowfixeruk

Shadowfixeruk

Enthusiast

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Devices:HD2 - Yeah Baby!
  • Twitter:@jfduncan

[teaser]Just after the launch of Windows Vista, we reported that RUUs (ROM upgrades), do not work on the OS.

Now, courtesy of sp3dev @ XDA-Developers, a solution has been found... and i've taken his basic instructions and posted them below with full screenshots and the very latest driver files extracted from ActiveSync 4.5.

News page readers can find the 16-step (not as bad as it sounds!) walkthrough after the jump! :D

P[/teaser]

Before starting: Your device needs to be connected to the PC, and in BOOTLOADER mode.

Step 1 of 16: Extract this zip file to a memorable location on your machine (e.g. the desktop). This is the Activesync 4.5 RTM USB driver.

Am i missing something...?
When my Kaiser is in Bootloader, i don't see it in WMDC...

Or is this as it should be - and i just carry on anyway?
Cheers

SF

Got a MobilePhone and a GPS? Make Money Click Here!

Shadowfixeruk

Shadowfixeruk

Enthusiast

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Devices:HD2 - Yeah Baby!
  • Twitter:@jfduncan

Am i missing something...?
When my Kaiser is in Bootloader, i don't see it in WMDC...

Or is this as it should be - and i just carry on anyway?
Cheers

SF

Never mind... Found out where i was going wrong... Need to enter Bootloader :D . Where i was - wasn't BootLoader... hmmm
So for the others who couldn't find bootloader....

>>To Enter Bootloader..: power off and then press power on while keeping camera pressed, this will enter the so called bootloader mode and you see a tri-color screen (Red, Green, Blue).

SF

Got a MobilePhone and a GPS? Make Money Click Here!

stoo1701

stoo1701

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:HTC Hermes, Kaiser
Hi Guys,
1st Post here at Modaco, usually on XDA-Dev's! But I cant get help for this there...
I followed the instructions in this thread, so I could run the RuuUnlock on my old Hermes, (getting it ready for Ebay).

When I got to the bottom, it said to revert back (to my TYTN II/kaiser) I should re-click "Allow uSB connections" in WMDC.

Problem is, now I just cant get WMDC to recognize my Kaiser anymore, comes up as "Unidentified USB Device". doesnt show in file manager.

Tried re-installing WMDC 6 & 6.1, no joy....
Looked everywhere for a copy of the hTC Drivers that I got on a Vista update but can't find htem anywhere, and get uninstall old ones (dont show up in remove updates list)

Stuck as Fu-dge...

Can you Guru's help me? Anyone up to the challenge?? :D

Many thanks
Stoo1701

bhushanvinay

bhushanvinay

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:XDA Exec
Sorry chaps, i am very new to upgrade just follwoing the vista but i cannot find the mobile device on the device manager
any help on what to do.

Regards
Vinay

minihull

minihull

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:spv m600
can anyone help??

followed the instructions for the vista ruu to enable me to upgrade my prophet but am stuck at step 14.everything went as stated and my ppc is still connected to my pc in bootloader mode.install update and everything should be fine but am lost as to how to do this. what should i do as wm device centre does not recognise my phone as connected but need to have an active connection when i want to upgrade the rom.

i am a newbie so any help would be great.

thanks

Confucious

Confucious

Peanut Brain

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,636 posts
  • Devices:iPhone 5
  • Twitter:@Confuciousmobil
Just run the upgrade - don't worry about the fact it that wmdc does not recognise the phone, it doesn't need to when it's got to that stage.

He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Naberius

Naberius

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:Qtek 2020
Step by step info. The best for Qtek 2020

xja12

xja12

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I was having the problem where even though I started with my device in Bootloader, it was not appearing under Mobile Devices in Device Manager. I did finally get it to appear by doing the following:

1. Unplug device from USB
2. Take out battery
3. Plug device back in to USB and wait for it to be recognized.

It then appeared under Mobile Devices in Device Manager. I then put the battery back in (and successfully completed the rest of the directions).

Edited by xja12, 09 October 2008 - 05:26 AM.

tracy2608

tracy2608

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
My phone alive man, thank a million times ... This post greats AAAAA+

nmout

nmout

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Devices:htc s620

Before starting: Your device needs to be connected to the PC, and in BOOTLOADER mode.

what is bootloader mode and how do we get the device there?

Jeff Gladman

Jeff Gladman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Guys, i've just updated my MDA Compact II (Charmer) and didn't neet to follow any of the instruction above. If you have the ROM files stored on your hard drive you should have 'EnterBootloader.exe' which you should copy to your storage card. Run this file from your PDA in File Explorer, this will put the machine into Bootloader mode (Red, Green & Blue screen with version numbers). Now just run the RomUpdateUtility.exe (or similar) from vista & bingo, job done. No device disconnecting, no device changing, clean & simple B)

dragoness

dragoness

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:O2 XDA Mini S
I've done the process about 6 times now, with 4 different RUU's.
I'm running Vista 32bit (HP laptop), with an O2 mini s, fully CID and unlocked the xda-developers way (thanks for that guys!).
My Mini S states:
IPL: 2.26
SPL: 2.26

I'm just trying to get WM6 on my xda!

Has anyone found a way to do it yet?

Thanks!

qamar

qamar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Was your device plugged in?

same problem with me, in device manager i have Portable Devices and SFR_v1615 but not Mobile devices..

and when i try to update it, it gives error

"The folder you specified doesn't contain a compatible software driver for ur device"

so Please help me regarding this

fallbranch

fallbranch

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:xv6700
First post ...so be gentle...i am running Windows vista home premium SP1 and do the RUU update...I have bootloader v2.05 which I realize must be the problem so I read the instructions on how to downgrade problem is ...every time i try to do this the RUU in Vista Crashes and thus stops my upate...also I am unsuccesful in trying to downgrade to 2.04...as those instructions will not work either for my XV6700....

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!! :)

Confucious

Confucious

Peanut Brain

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,636 posts
This also works for Windows 7

I never had a problem with Vista and didn't read the instructions here - the ones I found were half missing so I had to guess most of it...

He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

kaanHAN

kaanHAN

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Devices:i900
does it work on omnia? if so i am sending this topic in Turkish in mobileturk.org with your permissions...

AiDoVay

AiDoVay

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:HTC Blackstone
Hello there,

I got a problem from step 5. I just don't understand how you can see HTC phone in Device Manager after you uncheck a box "Allow All USB Connection"? It means that there is no connection between any devices and PC.

Plz help to get me through this step.

Thanks,

Confucious

Confucious

Peanut Brain

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,636 posts
Don't worry about it. Just continue, it's now in the right connection state. Although ActiveSync / WMDC can't see it RUU can.

Xavier2k

Xavier2k

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:FS N560

I have try all case this above, but it not work. My Vista is still show message "ROMUpdateUtility MFC Application has stopped working".
However, I'm installed Virtual Machine (Parallels or VMWare Machine) on Vista and setup WinXP on this VM and setup MS Async 4.5 and Uprom good work.

Note : Don't install Microsoft Virtual PC 2007, it not support USB port.
Good Luck !

[email protected]

Yep! You're absolutely right. Even under windows7 x64 build 7201 it works. I've installed VMware6.5.2 and windowsXPsp3 under it. Now i've upgraded mu loox n560 to WM6.1.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users