Introducing MoDaCo DoNew for Windows Mobile 6 Standard (updated 07/12/08)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest JohnnyG_69
At a guess, i'd say the 'hacked installer' doesn't install the apps to \Windows\, which is obviously where DoNew expects to find them.

P

Hey there Paul,

I confirmed the problem is that Mobile Office is installed in the \Windows\ directory on WM6, however the installer that's being used for WM5 puts it in \Program Files\Office6\.

One solution is to change the installer being used for WM5 to put Mobile Office in the \Windows\ directory. I've tested this, and NewDoc will work then.

The other solution (which I'd prefer) is to leave Mobile Office where it installs on WM5, and change NewDoc to point there for launching Word and Excel.

I would be more than happy to modify NewDoc to work with the WM5 install if you'd be willing to share your source code with me.

Thanks Paul :rolleyes:

Guest mstar

newbie question but the "DoNew" CAB file for my E650 do i place this in my '\Windows\' directory ?

sorry guys just my new smartphone :rolleyes:

Guest Monolithix (MVP)

Put it on your storage card and run it from the file explorer, that will fire up the installer and set it up for you :rolleyes:

Guest mstar
Put it on your storage card and run it from the file explorer, that will fire up the installer and set it up for you :rolleyes:

can i run it by using active sync putting in \windows\start menu\accesssories directory (or whatever dir)??? and double clicking on it? i dnt have amicro sd card yet :-(

Edited by mstar

Guest mstar
can i run it by using active sync putting in \windows\start menu\accesssories directory (or whatever dir)??? and double clicking on it? i dnt have amicro sd card yet :-(

i done it guys i just put it in the windows dir and ran it from there works a treatttttttttt!!!

thanks paul!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest vwspeed
Hey there Paul,

I confirmed the problem is that Mobile Office is installed in the \Windows\ directory on WM6, however the installer that's being used for WM5 puts it in \Program Files\Office6\.

One solution is to change the installer being used for WM5 to put Mobile Office in the \Windows\ directory. I've tested this, and NewDoc will work then.

The other solution (which I'd prefer) is to leave Mobile Office where it installs on WM5, and change NewDoc to point there for launching Word and Excel.

I would be more than happy to modify NewDoc to work with the WM5 install if you'd be willing to share your source code with me.

Thanks Paul :)

The reason it's now working on a WM5 device is the way the DoNew app is launching the apps, the code looks like this:

Process.Start("pxl.exe", path)

So in other words, the Office Mobile executables must be in the \Windows folder to work, this is probably because WM6 has the Office Mobile apps installed in the ROM, so on a WM5 device it'll consume precious system RAM versus the preferred method of running off the Storage Card.

I have been trying to find a way in Windows Mobile to set the Environment %PATH% variable like you can in regular Windows. If you could figure out a way to get the \Storage Card\Program Files\Office6 into the system path variable then theoretically the launcher should work.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest JohnnyG_69
I have been trying to find a way in Windows Mobile to set the Environment %PATH% variable like you can in regular Windows. If you could figure out a way to get the \Storage Card\Program Files\Office6 into the system path variable then theoretically the launcher should work.

OR, if Paul could find it in his heart to share the source code that I'm sure he busted his butt to come-up with, I could make the change so it would work under WM6 and WM5.

Edited by JohnnyG_69

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest PeeZeeOne

Hmmmm - Finally got WM6 for my HTC s620 (since its a Nordic regional version I had to wait for my phone company to accept the update (HTC_S620_NOR_1.27.402.1_4.1.13.44_02.94.90_Ship.exe))

I was really looking forward to getting the word and Excel handling, and hoped that Your program might be helpfull...

Installs fine, but does not work - It takes me though the naming procedure, but when I press save it says: "Unable to create new word/excel document"

Its not in the Office folder - but has created it's own Office Mobile folder.

What's wrong here? - My installation?

PeeZeeOne

Guest PeeZeeOne
Hmmmm - Finally got WM6 for my HTC s620 (since its a Nordic regional version I had to wait for my phone company to accept the update (HTC_S620_NOR_1.27.402.1_4.1.13.44_02.94.90_Ship.exe))

I was really looking forward to getting the word and Excel handling, and hoped that Your program might be helpfull...

Installs fine, but does not work - It takes me though the naming procedure, but when I press save it says: "Unable to create new word/excel document"

Its not in the Office folder - but has created it's own Office Mobile folder.

What's wrong here? - My installation?

PeeZeeOne

Just realized the real problem. The bundle included in this upgrade is not Office Mobile - It's Clearvue Office = a viewer, NOT for editing. DAMN! ;) Anybody any ideas how I will be able to edit my word documents?

PeeZeeOne

Guest gpcarreon (MVP)
how I will be able to edit my word documents?

Have you tried DocumentsToGo?

http://www.dataviz.com/products/documentst...bile/index.html

Documents To Go for Windows Mobile 5.0 Smartphone & 6 Standard lets you view, edit and create Microsoft® Word, Excel and PowerPoint® files, view Adobe® PDF files as well as unzip files on your device - all in one complete package.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Guest geo2000
You know how the things that you think are going to be the easiest are actually the hardest, and how sometimes once you've started something you really wish you hadn't? Well, i've had a day like that today ;)

I've been fortunate enough to have been using a Windows Mobile 6 Standard Landscape Smartphone for a little while now, and I really like it. A couple of things bug me though, and the key one is the fact that Microsoft, in their infinite wisdom, removed the 'New' functionality from Word Mobile and Excel Mobile. No matter I thought to myself, rather than messing around doing this 'Save As' thing all the time, i'll just rustle myself up a little application to make it easier... should only take half hour.

And it did, kinda.

I was using my Windows Mobile 6 Pocket PC as my dev device (big mistake), and I had it finished in next to no time at all. Brilliant! Success! So I then tried running it on my Smartphone. It b0rked :D On further investigation, I discovered that the 'Save As' dialogue in the Compact Framework is not implemented in Smartphone. DOH! The solution? Writing my own 'Save As' dialogue... rather a lot more work.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, i'd like to introduce you to 'MoDaCo DoNew'. This first version of DoNew is for Landscape WM6 Standard devices ONLY, and restores the 'New Document' functionality i've been missing so much, and you will all be missing when you start getting your hands on devices!

I've included some screenshots and the install CAB below, and i'm open to feedback and tweaks on what is a very quickly knocked-up application. Enjoy! :(

P

[Edit: WM6 Professional (Pocket PC) version also available here]

post-1-1173890718_thumb.jpg post-1-1173890727_thumb.jpg post-1-1173890736_thumb.jpg post-1-1173890745_thumb.jpg

HI. Please make wm6 from HTC S310? Thanx

• 3 weeks later...
Guest JrWriter
You know how the things that you think are going to be the easiest are actually the hardest, and how sometimes once you've started something you really wish you hadn't? Well, i've had a day like that today :(

I've been fortunate enough to have been using a Windows Mobile 6 Standard Landscape Smartphone for a little while now, and I really like it. A couple of things bug me though, and the key one is the fact that Microsoft, in their infinite wisdom, removed the 'New' functionality from Word Mobile and Excel Mobile. No matter I thought to myself, rather than messing around doing this 'Save As' thing all the time, i'll just rustle myself up a little application to make it easier... should only take half hour.

And it did, kinda.

I was using my Windows Mobile 6 Pocket PC as my dev device (big mistake), and I had it finished in next to no time at all. Brilliant! Success! So I then tried running it on my Smartphone. It b0rked :D On further investigation, I discovered that the 'Save As' dialogue in the Compact Framework is not implemented in Smartphone. DOH! The solution? Writing my own 'Save As' dialogue... rather a lot more work.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, i'd like to introduce you to 'MoDaCo DoNew'. This first version of DoNew is for Landscape WM6 Standard devices ONLY, and restores the 'New Document' functionality i've been missing so much, and you will all be missing when you start getting your hands on devices!

I've included some screenshots and the install CAB below, and i'm open to feedback and tweaks on what is a very quickly knocked-up application. Enjoy! :D

P

post-1-1173890718_thumb.jpg post-1-1173890727_thumb.jpg post-1-1173890736_thumb.jpg post-1-1173890745_thumb.jpg

How do you install this in your phone i'm new to this type of stuff

Guest alboblood4life
You know how the things that you think are going to be the easiest are actually the hardest, and how sometimes once you've started something you really wish you hadn't? Well, i've had a day like that today :(

And it did, kinda.

I've included some screenshots and the install CAB below, and i'm open to feedback and tweaks on what is a very quickly knocked-up application. Enjoy! :D

P

Hey Paul im new to all this the site and the phone i just got it today i was wondering if u can help me out what do i do with the cab files thanks

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.