Introducing MoDaCo DoNew for Windows Mobile 6 Standard (updated 07/12/08)

Guest PaulOBrien

• 3 weeks later...
Now updated with compatability for portrait devices such as the T-Mobile Shadow! Huzzah! :)

P

So does this mean that this is no longer true?

This first version of DoNew is for Landscape WM6 Standard devices ONLY

Guest Irish-One
You know how the things that you think are going to be the easiest are actually the hardest, and how sometimes once you've started something you really wish you hadn't? Well, i've had a day like that today :)

I've been fortunate enough to have been using a Windows Mobile 6 Standard Landscape Smartphone for a little while now, and I really like it. A couple of things bug me though, and the key one is the fact that Microsoft, in their infinite wisdom, removed the 'New' functionality from Word Mobile and Excel Mobile. No matter I thought to myself, rather than messing around doing this 'Save As' thing all the time, i'll just rustle myself up a little application to make it easier... should only take half hour.

And it did, kinda.

I was using my Windows Mobile 6 Pocket PC as my dev device (big mistake), and I had it finished in next to no time at all. Brilliant! Success! So I then tried running it on my Smartphone. It b0rked :D On further investigation, I discovered that the 'Save As' dialogue in the Compact Framework is not implemented in Smartphone. DOH! The solution? Writing my own 'Save As' dialogue... rather a lot more work.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, i'd like to introduce you to 'MoDaCo DoNew'. This first version of DoNew is for Landscape WM6 Standard devices ONLY, and restores the 'New Document' functionality i've been missing so much, and you will all be missing when you start getting your hands on devices!

I've included some screenshots and the install CAB below, and i'm open to feedback and tweaks on what is a very quickly knocked-up application. Enjoy! :D

P

[Edit: WM6 Professional (Pocket PC) version also available here]

[Edit 2: Now compatible with portrait devices!]

post-1-1173890718_thumb.jpg post-1-1173890727_thumb.jpg post-1-1173890736_thumb.jpg post-1-1173890745_thumb.jpg

Guest Irish-One

Paul, for some reason I am now unable to open a "new" Word document on my 8525 operating with WM5. When I open Word, and click on "new" I get a message "A problem with the document was encountered and it cannot be opened." Do you know if your fix for WM6 will also work on WM5? Thanks.

I have installed DoNew on a Samsung i600. It is upgraded to WM6 and Office Mobile 6.1 is installed.

When I try to create a new Word file I get always the error message "Unable to create new Word document". Same applies for Excel files.

But the files are created.

Any idea why the error message shows up all the time?

Thanks.

• 1 month later...
Guest steve121
You know how the things that you think are going to be the easiest are actually the hardest, and how sometimes once you've started something you really wish you hadn't? Well, i've had a day like that today :D

I've been fortunate enough to have been using a Windows Mobile 6 Standard Landscape Smartphone for a little while now, and I really like it. A couple of things bug me though, and the key one is the fact that Microsoft, in their infinite wisdom, removed the 'New' functionality from Word Mobile and Excel Mobile. No matter I thought to myself, rather than messing around doing this 'Save As' thing all the time, i'll just rustle myself up a little application to make it easier... should only take half hour.

And it did, kinda.

I was using my Windows Mobile 6 Pocket PC as my dev device (big mistake), and I had it finished in next to no time at all. Brilliant! Success! So I then tried running it on my Smartphone. It b0rked :( On further investigation, I discovered that the 'Save As' dialogue in the Compact Framework is not implemented in Smartphone. DOH! The solution? Writing my own 'Save As' dialogue... rather a lot more work.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, i'd like to introduce you to 'MoDaCo DoNew'. This first version of DoNew is for Landscape WM6 Standard devices ONLY, and restores the 'New Document' functionality i've been missing so much, and you will all be missing when you start getting your hands on devices!

I've included some screenshots and the install CAB below, and i'm open to feedback and tweaks on what is a very quickly knocked-up application. Enjoy! :(

P

post-1-1173890718_thumb.jpg post-1-1173890727_thumb.jpg post-1-1173890736_thumb.jpg post-1-1173890745_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest Steve App
New version: Minor installer update.

P

Silly question and sorry if a little off topic, I don't have Office on my phone, Asus M530w with WM6 Standard. I thought it was part of that op system but all i get is 3rd party viewers. Is Office Mobile available for these devices and if so where ? I've searched all over for it and cant find it :-(

Cheers

Stephen

Guest jahmekyat

Hi Paul,

I installed the DoNew cab on my Blackjack II running WM 6 standard. I can create new documents fine and it seems to be working great. Great job!! FYI I used the cabviaactivesync installer to put it on my devive. Worked well also. I notice that in your screen shots, the icons for creating new doc's are in the same place as office mobile. When mine was installed, it created a seperate folder called office mobile. Is there a way to get these moved to the same folder as the other icons? When running explorer on my phone from my desktop, I can't find office mobile anywhere on the phone. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help.

post-399543-1213806368_thumb.jpg

Guest jahmekyat
Just use File Explorer to copy and past from \Windows\Start Menu\ etc.

P

Worked, thanks. Do you if there is a way to look at the same folder structure on my mobile device when going through explorer on my PC?

thanks again,

jahmekyat

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Wylde
You know how the things that you think are going to be the easiest are actually the hardest, and how sometimes once you've started something you really wish you hadn't? Well, i've had a day like that today :D

And it did, kinda.

I was using my Windows Mobile 6 Pocket PC as my dev device (big mistake), and I had it finished in next to no time at all. Brilliant! Success! So I then tried running it on my Smartphone. It b0rked :o On further investigation, I discovered that the 'Save As' dialogue in the Compact Framework is not implemented in Smartphone. DOH! The solution? Writing my own 'Save As' dialogue... rather a lot more work.

I've included some screenshots and the install CAB below, and i'm open to feedback and tweaks on what is a very quickly knocked-up application. Enjoy! :(

P

My solution to this on the BJ II was simply creating blank files in all the apps on my PC and saving them to the phone. Can't wait to try it on my BJ II!

Edited by Wylde

• 1 month later...
Guest gadget437

I am using a Hermes, with a cooked WM6.1 ROM.

I edited a version of the MSOffice2007 CAB, so that it would give an option to install to the Storage card, to free up some device memory. Works fine, except the 'New' button in MSWord generates an error (MSExcel works fine).

So... I thought I would try your DoNew CAB (ppc version). It works to an extent... it creates a new document, where I want it... but is unable to start Word to edit it. I'm guessing it can't find the executable at its new location (/storage card/program files/office).

Any ideas?

BTW, here is the altered Office2007 CAB, if you want to play,

Download MSOffice2007InstallToStorage.zip

=====

EDIT

=====

I think the problem with Word not opening the new file is because I neglected to make the CAB change the registry entries for the office programs in their new locations. I just tried to start a random DOC file from File Explorer and got the same error (but can open it from inside Word). Same problem with Excel and PP too. Harrumph!

Which keys do i need to change?

Edited by gadget437

• 1 month later...
Guest smilingdiva

Hi there guys...im new to this site & my HTC S620 smartphone. I have installed your file & its under windows in file explorer however even if i select copy it wont paste into office mobile. How do i get the files into office mobile??? I will need this document for typing ideas into etc. Anyhelp will be much appreciated thanks! :lol:

• 1 month later...
Guest franchise215

You know how the things that you think are going to be the easiest are actually the hardest, and how sometimes once you've started something you really wish you hadn't? Well, i've had a day like that today :rolleyes:

And it did, kinda.

I was using my Windows Mobile 6 Pocket PC as my dev device (big mistake), and I had it finished in next to no time at all. Brilliant! Success! So I then tried running it on my Smartphone. It b0rked :) On further investigation, I discovered that the 'Save As' dialogue in the Compact Framework is not implemented in Smartphone. DOH! The solution? Writing my own 'Save As' dialogue... rather a lot more work.

I've included some screenshots and the install CAB below, and i'm open to feedback and tweaks on what is a very quickly knocked-up application.

Enjoy, feedback welcomed! If you use the CAB, please consider donating £1 to my 'quidapps' effort to develop cheap, useful applications and tweaks - click here to donate. Donations will be used specifically to buy development tools to enable slicker and more advanced tweaks and applications in the future while retaining a £1 price point!

P

donew.cab

[Edit 3: Now with DOCX / XLSX support!]

Guest franchise215

im using a shadow and i have feadie downloaded but it still says file cant be veiwed on my device. what file type is your program so i can add it . thanks in advance

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.