The official O2 XDA Graphite 'Ask Paul' thread

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest moonshot

It looks like the ideal phone to take the place of my now dated c600. But not unless there is going to be a WM6 upgrade.

I was in my local o2 shop yesterday; the Graphite is free on a £35 a month contract and above and it does not have to be business. But when I asked about a WM6 upgrade, I was told.............not sure, but don't think so.

I would not buy into a WM5 phone that will be outdated next month. It's a shame because it seems like yet another let down for 'Smartphone' owners.

;)

Guest EMGenius

Firstly, forgive me for I have sinned - it has been over a year since my last post!!! ;)

I have been looking for an upgrade to my trusty (but now very battered) c550 - only alive because it is metal I think!

The Graphite looks like a great contender - just a couple of questions though if anyone could please help?

- I am concerned that it will be out of date as soon as WM6 is out - but as far as I can tell from the Sh*te WM6 website it doesn't give me much - what is the major difference between 5 & 6 for a phone like this??

- will the Vox be on O2?? - as far as I can tell the only reason to get this over the graphite is WM6 as the camera on the VOX does not have a flash and the graphite has a better processor.

Please help me - I am in a muddle!!!

Cheers,

EMG

Edit - Found comparison here (not a lot of difference!!):

http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=pdacomparer&a...716&id2=663

Edited by EMGenius

Guest rikwebb
It looks like the ideal phone to take the place of my now dated c600. But not unless there is going to be a WM6 upgrade.

I was in my local o2 shop yesterday; the Graphite is free on a £35 a month contract and above and it does not have to be business. But when I asked about a WM6 upgrade, I was told.............not sure, but don't think so.

I would not buy into a WM5 phone that will be outdated next month. It's a shame because it seems like yet another let down for 'Smartphone' owners.

;)

I have a c600, and now the graphite.........

Its a faster c600 with WIFI, 3g and vid calling, but thats what i wanted as the c600 joystock is knacked. WM6 would be nice, but I can wait and get one when it arrives on the right phone (poss htc 730).

Rik

Edited by rikwebb

Guest Wayne877

Any ideas whether the Graphite or the Toshiba G500 (which I've just seen on the video btw and looks good ;) ) is going to be available with T-Mobile???

Looking for an upgrade and prefer smartphone to ppc

Cheers

Wayne

Guest Jakob

Yes, Encece - exactly.

(and I still prefer my C500 to my Mteor..)

(Yes, the screen is nice, but the keyboard layout is not as good and the batterylife is lousy.)

/Jakob

Exactly...

But would the VOX be a VOX without the slide out keyboard?

One would just need a C600 with WM6.

The VOX is the only phone that has tempted me so far...the keyboard is nice...but not necessary at all for me. But thinner would definitely be better. I'd like a...

WM6 Smartphone

No Keyboard

Quadband + Edge + 3G + WiFi

C600 sized or smaller.

Super-Duper Battery

And throw in GPS if thats not asking too much

Guest Wayne877
I haven't heard about either the Graphite or the Tosh on T-Mobile, I have a suspicion they'll take the Vox instead however.

P

that looks quite cool too.

Correct me if I'm wrong but is wm6 just one version?? i.e. you dont get different versions for smartphone and ppc.

Wayne

Guest rikwebb

Someone asked about battery life.

Well I have had it with me all day, made about 1 hour of calls (voice), and it has been checking mail every hour, bluetooth has been on all day (and connected to the parrot car kit for 2.5 - 3 hours).

I took it off charge this am at 8, and it has lost 1 bar of battery.

Seems pretty good.

Hope this helps

Rik

Edited by rikwebb

Guest HerpezP

What's the speed of this device compared to e.g. the Tornado and the Vox? The processor should be quite a lot faster with 416 MHz (Intel XScale) compared to 200 MHz (TI OMAP) on the other devices. I'm thinking of the menu speed, opening of applications, etc... Opera takes (almost) an eternity (10-15 sec I reckon) to open on my old C500, is it also a demanding task for these newer devices?

Some comparative shots of it lying next to the other devices you have in the video would be nice ;)

Guest kyrkesmith

In terms of battery life, I'd say it's almost exactly the same as the C600. I was carrying both of them around for about a week before my number switched, and the batteries seemed to decline at roughly the same rate.

Guest Weasley

Paul

I got a O2 Graphite, When i put a 3 UK USIM in it show 234020 as the operator name not 3 that is when i in 3G area, when i in 2G area i show o2 - uk as operator.

Is there anything to change 234020 to 3 - UK?

Guest Weasley

I want to some file on my phone via Pocket Internet Explorer on Graphite, but when i click download, is said this file extension is not support

Guest rob_papermcse

hi there,

i just got an xda graphite - and i cant install my servers SSL certificate.

it installed no trouble on my XDA mini S - but on the graphite i get an error :

'Security Permission was insufficient to update your device'

anyone know a way around this?

I have emailed O2 Data support but they usualy take 24 / 48 hours to respond.

any help is welcome ;)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest sparkymodaco

Ordered a Graphite from o2 yesterday. They won't do an upgrade as my son's contract is not up until October but said I could buy it for £199. Couldn't resist it. Fingers crossed it works with t-mobile. Anyone want to buy a Vario II?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest antxman

Hi Paul.

Wondering if you can help. I've had several XDA's in the past, the mini s being one and all has been dandy. However the graphite i have just recieved seems to constantly make the familiar ju, ju, ju - ju, ju, ju noise over my speakers linked to my HiFi. Any ideas how to reduce/stop this before I throw the phone across the room or pound it on the edge of my desk!!!!*%$!!!??? ;)

Many thanks...

Guest dm.wood
hi there,

i just got an xda graphite - and i cant install my servers SSL certificate.

it installed no trouble on my XDA mini S - but on the graphite i get an error :

'Security Permission was insufficient to update your device'

anyone know a way around this?

I have emailed O2 Data support but they usualy take 24 / 48 hours to respond.

any help is welcome :D

I have no experience with this particular phone however I have seen this many times before and posted on Modaco regarding SSL configuration with Exchange and Mobile active Sync.

There are registry hacks for WM5 that may get around your problem in this forum. WM5 is configured only to take root certs from commercial CA's and checks your cert against its internal list.

If I recall correctly on my tek 8310 running WM5 it warned me when I tried to install my own root cert however, after "application unlocking" the phone it allowed me to continue.

The best advice I can give you is to look for work around in this forum. You might try here http://www.modaco.com/index.php?showtopic=...SSL+Certificate as a starting point ;)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.