• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

Monolithix

Monolithix

Hardcore

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,783 posts
Yeah that is one thing to say about the S710, if HTC can make a handset so compact with a gorgeous screen like that you have to wonder what they're capable of doing without a keyboard, would certainly drop upto maybe 5mm from the thickness.

As for TCPMP playback the screen is larger but still has the same resolution, so you'll find they'll play just as well on the S710 as your C550!

I still exist

Samsonite

Samsonite

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  • Interests:gadgets, motorcycles
  • Devices:QtekS100, E650, Touch Dual
so is there an official launch date for this handset then?

Expansys are saying stock for the 2nd of May now and Inkino are giving the 25th April but are the more expensive of the two.

Do these dates mean that the official Orange handset is a June/July launch? is there any news on T-Mob picking it up either...

I really want to hang on for this but my phone has one foot in the grave and the other on a bar of soap - i can see myself getting the Graphite if i'm not careful...

Monolithix

Monolithix

Hardcore

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,783 posts
http://www.expansys....modaco&i=145682

22nd April according to that page! Also the E650 was in this months Orange mag as coming soon... hopefully we should see it by May (seeing as Expansys and O are both rubbish for slipping launch dates!)

I still exist

Samsonite

Samsonite

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  • Interests:gadgets, motorcycles
  • Devices:QtekS100, E650, Touch Dual
aha! the page i was looking at that gave the 2nd May was a bundle page with screen protectors et al...

so whats the best guess based on experience then? early or late May?

Monolithix

Monolithix

Hardcore

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,783 posts
Well despite their history of late releases, half the phones in the coming soon section of the O mag are actually available now. They also managed the N95 in a fairly timely manner, so hopefully the E650 shouldn't be too far off (i'd still hedge my bets on it being available by the first week of May though). No way to tell for sure of course though ;)

I still exist

Griff_FFOC

Griff_FFOC

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • Devices:SPV C600/E650

Well despite their history of late releases, half the phones in the coming soon section of the O mag are actually available now. They also managed the N95 in a fairly timely manner, so hopefully the E650 shouldn't be too far off (i'd still hedge my bets on it being available by the first week of May though). No way to tell for sure of course though ;)

I asked a guy in an Orange shop today about the E650 and he replied "the what?" <_<

He looked on his computer for a while, then went out back to speak to someone, and he replied the only info they currently had was "April". So hopefully it'll be in the next couple of weeks.

Griff_FFOC

Griff_FFOC

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • Devices:SPV C600/E650
It's getting closer.

Its now on Orange's coming soon list ;)

http://shop.orange.c...spv_e650/detail

Monolithix

Monolithix

Hardcore

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,783 posts
7 days standby, yeah right they wish. Someone should do something about rediculous battery life stats claimed by phone manufacturers.

I still exist

moonshot

moonshot

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Devices:Sony Xperia Ray
Even Orange seem to embarrassed to admit the correct weight ;)

http://shop.orange.c...v_e650/features

Michael Pearson

Michael Pearson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:T-Mobile SDA (US)
Does it support microSDHC? I want more than 2 gb of space! Plus, the promise of 8 gb cards coming up is nice too.

brunob

brunob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Devices:Imate SP5
Hello Paul,

thank you very much for the good review, very professional and complete.

Two questions to you directly, because it seems that you are the only person that has this product already in your hands:
- it is possible to change the language of the o.s. (it should be, almost it was possible in smartphones with WM 5.0)
- it is possible to change the two letters Z and Y on the keyboard (not the logical way, but on a HW level). This because it seems that is impossible to get the German version of this device (and in Germany we have a QWERTZ keyboard layout instead of the normal QWERTY). I hope you still have the device and that you want to test for me (but I understand if you do not want to risk)

Thank you very much in advance.
Bruno

PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,350 posts
  • Devices:All the Nexus!
  • Twitter:@paulobrien

- it is possible to change the language of the o.s. (it should be, almost it was possible in smartphones with WM 5.0)

Yes

- it is possible to change the two letters Z and Y on the keyboard (not the logical way, but on a HW level). This because it seems that is impossible to get the German version of this device (and in Germany we have a QWERTZ keyboard layout instead of the normal QWERTY). I hope you still have the device and that you want to test for me (but I understand if you do not want to risk)

Not easily, but I think it can be done with registry / software hacks.

Unfortunately my preprod Vox has gone back, but I should have a production unit shortly.

P

You can follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/paulobrien / Follow MoDaCo on Twitter - http://twitter.com/modaco

Want to donate? MoDaCo is raising money for the Multiple Sclerosis society.

Posted Image

brunob

brunob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Devices:Imate SP5

Yes
Not easily, but I think it can be done with registry / software hacks.

Unfortunately my preprod Vox has gone back, but I should have a production unit shortly.

P

Thanks,

the question of the keyboard was not on a logical way but on a HW level. I want to exchange the two keys on the keyboard. In the meantime I have read that you have already gave back your unit, so maybe you can remember how the keys are mad (to you THINK that they are removable). By the way: it is not necessary to change the logical keyboard, because changing the language I think that it will also changing the logical keyboard layout (with S620 it works so).

SvenO

SvenO

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Devices:SDA, SDA II, 8310

Thanks,

the question of the keyboard was not on a logical way but on a HW level. I want to exchange the two keys on the keyboard. In the meantime I have read that you have already gave back your unit, so maybe you can remember how the keys are mad (to you THINK that they are removable). By the way: it is not necessary to change the logical keyboard, because changing the language I think that it will also changing the logical keyboard layout (with S620 it works so).

don't know about the keys but...

...the os language thing is worse than expected: i have the s710 in my hand (390e from expansys) and it has english plus some languages - mainly eastern europeans - but no german (which is what i need, too..). so i guess there's a western and an eastern model - bad luck so far. i don't know how to add a language, but at least for xt9 it is much needed...

i didn't get a reply from expansys yet but yesterday they added a german s710 version "on order"...

PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,350 posts
  • Devices:All the Nexus!
  • Twitter:@paulobrien
Yeah, mine has:

English
Dutch
Czech
Greek
Romanian
Polish
Portugese
Slovak
Turkish
Hungarian

Bet I could add German tho with a bit of fiddling ;)

P

You can follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/paulobrien / Follow MoDaCo on Twitter - http://twitter.com/modaco

Want to donate? MoDaCo is raising money for the Multiple Sclerosis society.

Posted Image

gesam

gesam

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Devices:ASUS TRANSFORMER - NOKIA N8
Hallo Paul I would like to ask you about the S730 from HTC

Is it for real an upcoming device (June or July) which will have the same factor with S710 but
with 3 worth wait -I think- additions?

3G capability :D - Samsung 400 Processor :( - GPS on board ? :)

Or all of these are just rumors?

Thank you !! ;)

Edited by gesam, 24 April 2007 - 03:18 PM.

HUAWEI X5
DESIRE HD
WAVE 8500

Monolithix

Monolithix

Hardcore

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,783 posts
The S730 won't be out for a LONG time, and it is in fact rumoured to have been cancelled (although i don't think it was even ever confirmed as existing!).

The rumours have said though that it does sport those features, apparently ;)

I still exist

gesam

gesam

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

The S730 won't be out for a LONG time, and it is in fact rumoured to have been cancelled (although i don't think it was even ever confirmed as existing!).

The rumours have said though that it does sport those features, apparently ;)

Dear Monolithix thank you very much for your answer...

So as I understood well there will not be any such model from HTC , with all these features the S710 doesn't have.

Back to S710 do you think is it a good choice to buy?

I am not fanatic with GPS and 3G , but I am concerning very much about the CPU.
Is it enough or it is a slow processor ?

Many Thanks

HUAWEI X5
DESIRE HD
WAVE 8500

Monolithix

Monolithix

Hardcore

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,783 posts
The S710 is fantastic, and theres no reported issues with the CPU speed, some people are even trying to get VoIP working on it ;)

Check out vox.modaco.com for more feedback from current users!

I still exist

gesam

gesam

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

The S710 is fantastic, and theres no reported issues with the CPU speed, some people are even trying to get VoIP working on it :D

Check out vox.modaco.com for more feedback from current users!

Dear Monolithix you are very helpful to me , for all the information you provided. ;)

Thank you very much again... :(

HUAWEI X5
DESIRE HD
WAVE 8500

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users