M3100: Spontaneous Combustion edition

Guest morrius

Guest morrius

I had a very strange occurence on the bus this morning, I pulled my M3100 out of my pocket, to discover it was very, very hot - unbearable to touch after a few seconds. Naturally I took the battery out as quick as I could. It's since cooled down and I've just tried to boot it up, but I now only see a completely white screen.

I was thinking about selling it on anyway (far too buggy and clumsy for my tastes). I don't have the extended warranty with orange - do you think under the circumstances they'd replace it with a new model? If not, whats the most likely occurence?

Thanks.

Guest jimbouk

Can't help with the overheating as I've never heard of it before... but I am amazed at people who say 3100 is buggy. The device itself is very sturdy. The WM5 rom O supply it with seems stable. It only seems to go buggy when people load certain apps on...

Guest morrius

The device itself it sturdy enough (nothing has fallen off yet...) but I've seen lots of nasty little bugs pop up right from a clean install - it actually seemed to be at its most stable recently, with a load of spb software installed. Anyhow, does anyone have the best number to call for orange technical problems? Their 'contact us' page is down ;)

Guest The Doctor
I had a very strange occurence on the bus this morning, I pulled my M3100 out of my pocket, to discover it was very, very hot - unbearable to touch after a few seconds

I get this sometimes, mainly when its charging but thats to be expected really. Sounds like you got short circuit on the mainboard somewhere ;)

When you turn it on, is it a white screen immediately or do you get the splash screen and THEN does it go to a white screen?

If its the latter, it can be fixed :D

Phil

PS Never used the word latter before, hope I got it right :(

Edited by The Doctor

Guest Lingerhosen

I have a roughly similar problem. Sometimes I find that if it's in my pocket it goes red hot and runs the battery down in less than an hour, even if nothing is turned on, no programs running etc. It does the same when i surf the net (even if only briefly). After disconnecting, the battery drains itself down and suddenly I'm getting reminders about saving my data as the power is low! The only way to avoid it is to switch the phone off after using the internet and back on again. Can't be right, surely?

Guest morrius
I get this sometimes, mainly when its charging but thats to be expected really. Sounds like you got short circuit on the mainboard somewhere ;)

When you turn it on, is it a white screen immediately or do you get the splash screen and THEN does it go to a white screen?

If its the latter, it can be fixed :D

Phil

PS Never used the word latter before, hope I got it right :(

It's the fomer unfortunately. :)

You used latter entirely correctly though. It's a very handy addition to the old vocabulary!

Guest The Doctor
It's the fomer unfortunately. :D

Oh bugger, means that your bootloader is corrupted or just generally unusable, not something any of us mortals here can fix :(

You used latter entirely correctly though. It's a very handy addition to the old vocabulary!

;)

Phil

Guest morrius

doh. I'm sure orange will helpfully try to persuade me to hard reset a dozen times before they believe me that it's irreparable however.

Guest Paul (MVP)
I have a roughly similar problem. Sometimes I find that if it's in my pocket it goes red hot and runs the battery down in less than an hour, even if nothing is turned on, no programs running etc. It does the same when i surf the net (even if only briefly). After disconnecting, the battery drains itself down and suddenly I'm getting reminders about saving my data as the power is low! The only way to avoid it is to switch the phone off after using the internet and back on again. Can't be right, surely?

I'm betting you're in a 3G area (or nearly), and if you switched the phone to 2G only it'd be OK.

If so, hardware repair required for you too mate...

P

Guest morrius

Orange inform me I can pay 300 for a new phone, pay 100 for 'emergency insurance' (eh?) or go back to the manufacturer. Anyone know how good/bad htc europe are for returns?

Guest Swampie

When did you get the handset, and where did you get it from?

Technically (and legally) the contract for the supply of the handset is between you and the company who supplied the handset (might be Orange if you got it direct, or some other retail store). You, legally, have no need to contact HTC themselves and the retailer should do it for you. However, in practice, it can be quicker and easier for you to contact the manufacturer direct.

Guest Marzbar
I'm betting you're in a 3G area (or nearly), and if you switched the phone to 2G only it'd be OK.

If so, hardware repair required for you too mate...

P

Is there a known hardware fix for this? My Vario II does it too ;) - I just assumed it was a problem with the phone and I'd have to put up with it :D

Geoff

Guest morrius

It's about six months old, so they reckon I have to contact the manufacturer direct.

On doing so, I get a recorded message telling me to leave a number. What a great idea considering I don't have a phone, idiots!

I also tried the HTC website, which promptly gives a 404 error whenever I try to access the customer service by email page.

What is it that enables me to get a repair through orange?

---

From the site:

"Customer Services HTC TyTNHotline & Technical Support by phone: UK

Free call: 0845 8900079

Languages: English

Opening hours: 08:00 AM to 06:00 PM GMT"

"The number you have dialled has not been recognised"

Edited by morrius

Guest Marzbar
It's about six months old, so they reckon I have to contact the manufacturer direct.

The Sale Of Goods Act?

Geoff

Guest Paul (MVP)
Is there a known hardware fix for this? My Vario II does it too ;) - I just assumed it was a problem with the phone and I'd have to put up with it :D

Geoff

Yep, send it back to HTC!

P

Guest Neil5459

On doing so, I get a recorded message telling me to leave a number. What a great idea considering I don't have a phone, idiots!

I also tried the HTC website, which promptly gives a 404 error whenever I try to access the customer service by email page.

---

From the site:

"Customer Services HTC TyTNHotline & Technical Support by phone: UK

Free call: 0845 8900079

Languages: English

Opening hours: 08:00 AM to 06:00 PM GMT"

"The number you have dialled has not been recognised"

As the poster above says, the Sale of Goods act applies in this case; This states that any fault within the warranty period (or indeed within a reasonable time frame) is a matter for the supplier to rectify. It is illegal for them to point you to the manafacturer, especially as now HTC market devices themselves, they are distancing themselves from the resellers.

Speak to Orange again, ask to escalate to a supervisor and ask for names- then if they get heavy, ask for the address of their legal department so your solicitor can send a letter.

The only way they may wriggle out of this is if the battery is found to be faulty- 6 months is beyond the usual warranty for batteries, as they are considered consumables.

Guest Lingerhosen
Yep, send it back to HTC!

P

Pants...

Can I not just get a warranty swap-out if I speak to T-Mobile? I'm all for the easy life me...

Guest The Doctor
The only way they may wriggle out of this is if the battery is found to be faulty- 6 months is beyond the usual warranty for batteries, as they are considered consumables.

The batteries have a warranty of 6 months, even if its caused by the battery then they must supply you with a new device as their supplied battery has created a fault on the device. So they may ask you to pay for a new battery but not for a new device.

With regards to the white screen issue, this is generally caused by bad blocks in the NAND flash, you need a preproduction bootloader which will fix bad blocks with a specific command. On the hermes it is the 1.01MFG bootloader with the command 'task 2a'. not sure on other devices ;)

Phil

Guest Cheng

Talking of sales of goods act etc. etc.... I bought my SPV M3100 from ebay. It's only 3 months old from the date of being supplied to the original customer. If it were to break would I still be covered? Is there a law that states the item must perform and be fit for purpose (regardless of owner?)