Do you like / are you gonna keep your Athena?

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

So i've had my Athena a little while now, and I am at the stage where I can't decide to keep it or not.

It's fully of features and very powerful, but i'm just not sure i'm gonna use it due to it's size. The lack of WM6 is a shame, and the screen feels somewhat wasted with the monster title bars etc. It's made me revisit my JasJar actually, which i'd completely stopped using.

I'm in half a mind to review it then sell it at the moment.

Are you lot enjoying yours?

P

Guest derosnec

I've had mine for just under a week now and its something I've been considering - its not had a SIM in it for two days now because, well, its the weekend and I dont need to carry a brick with me ;-)

I agree that WM6 and the stupidly massive bars are an issue (c'mon Microsoft - we want REAL VGA), I just think back to the device the Universal started as (shoddy) and what it became (awesome)

I think I'll be keeping it, but primarily as a work / entertainment device. To compliment it I'll get hold of a smartphone - the Lobster is only £60 now... hmmm

Guest yarod_g14

I too love this device but totally hate the bars. Especially when plugged in to my Monitor with my "new" mouse drivers ;)

They take up about 20% of the screen. What a nuisance. There must be some sort of tool somwhere from other Mobile 5.0 devices which removed the Top and bottom bars or at least shrunk them in some way.

I know its different but I shrunk my Scroll bars to 1/2 their original sizes and my fonts to 9 I think instead of 12....or 7 or something. It looks great and has affected everything. I have a slightly mis-aligned alarms page but the clock is cool. I have noticed no other problems and I have tried pretty much everything.

I did this using tweaks2k - demo available on handango.com. Its got some handy things to change.

Give it a go.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Tomchap

Well im def keeping my ameo. I agree its huge as a phone, but I purchased LG Bluetooth Style-I pen HBM-700 and its solved alot of my problems.

Its strange as everyone who ive showed my phone to agree its a great device if a little huge in size. Then the focus goes on the Style I pen! hehe! ;) They love the size of it, and the fact you can make and answer calls using it.

Its a great device and i have found it to be very useful when making and receiving calls. You can call someone using the phone and then its calling on the LG headset, and ive found call quality to be fine.

Couldnt get one from the Uk so ordered it from ebay (other ones available here) http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll...-I+pen+HBM-700+

I was worried about charging it up, but found out when i received it the standard USB Sync cable charges it up fine! Im very happy.

Im going to keep my ameo and persevere with it. My only concerns are if im out and about and text on it. Because of the size of it it def draws attention. (size does matter? hehe!)

I love everything the phone can do and on web and walk its great. Now all i need is a Skin type case for it and id be completely happy with it as that would reduce what im carrying about.

Ive had most SPV phones out there, and i can say the M3100 is great and does everything but the screen on the Ameo is amazing. It really is that good. Also the 8gb Microdrive is excellent. All that storage! everything in one place!

Im very happy with it.

Thats my 50 cents worth! hehe! :D

Guest inspectorgadjet

Well, I couldn't help myself...as usual...and bought an Advantage last week. I really do like it, but it does have some things missing compared to my Tytn. The biggest thing for me is the lack of vibrate mode. I usually put my phone on vibrate in the office so it doesn't disturb everyone else. Also, I didn't even think about the fact that I would have to use the headset for calls at first and ended up having a call or two on speaker phone in the office which again was annoying cos I almost always forget my headset. I am now using it with my SonyEricsson HBH-DS970 and so far so good. Audio quality seems fine and call quality is good too.

I did come up with an interesting problem when I used tweaks2k.net. I usually set it up so that my internet temporary files and mail and attachments get saved to my storage card. So I thought, with an 8GB Microdrive, I could do the same. However, when I reset my device, I think the Microdrive loaded too slowly so it created a new Folder called Microdrive in the main memory and put everything in there. When the Microdrive eventually loaded it was called Microdrive2 and obviously all of my programs installed on the Microdrive no longer worked. To fix it I had to reset the storage location for temporary files and mail in Tweaks2k.net and then delete the Microdrive folder. After another reset, the Microdrive was renamed back and my programs all worked again.

But other than that, I think I'll definitely be keeping my new toy. I probably need to start looking at selling my jasjar and tytn now. These damn things are starting to cost me too much money now and buying a house has made my finances look a little less pretty than normal.

Guest rizbert

I got my T-mobile Ameo on Tuesday and as you all say..it is large! But have fallen big style for it. I haven't used it as a phone properly, cause luckily I've got a work spv c600, but should be getting a HBH-DS970 today, so it was good to hear inspectorgadjet saying the audio quailty seems good.

Have tried using Tweaks2k.net to reduce the top and bottom bars but all that I managed to change was adding, then removing am/pm from the clock! Also tried MvRTrueVGA, but that seemed to mix all the icons up for all the apps.

Should also be getting tomtom navigator today, which was one of the reasons I was able to sell the idea of getting it, to my dear wife. Looking forward to using it in anger in the car, once my car mount arrives.

Guest mackaby007

Hi all. Got my Ameo the first day it came out and have been in love with it ever since. Got a BT headset but regret not getting one with vibrate mode (it really is a must). Yes it's a beast in terms of size, but it trult is feature rich and that 5" screen makes the size worthwhile putting up with.

GPS is visually the best I've experienced on a PPC to date as is video playback and websurfing. On top of that, the 8 gig Microdrive was a def plus for me. There are too many reasons for me to keep it and only a few that make it awkward to use as a full time phone.

I believe it comes down to this; if your a heavy phone user, buy a phone. If your a heavy data user/mobile entertainment enthusiast, who wants to have phone features and doesn't mind using a BT Vibrating headset....the Ameo is just up your street. Even Remote Desktop is now a feesable app to use with the large screen unlike my old Hermes or Universal.

Keeping it? Definately.

Sorry about the long post peeps. :rolleyes:

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Tomchap

Hope it turns up for ya. This phone along with tmobile web and walk is great, no worrying bout data costs anymore! This device is made for using the web with its huge screen! :rolleyes:

Guest Confucious

Turned up at work this morning so synced all my contacts with my home server OTA.

First impresions - keyboard isn't as nice as the Universal but more than made up for by the screen, beautiful!

the 8Gb HD supplimented by a 4Gb SDHS card (on order) should be ok for a bit.

So far I love it - can't wait for a WM6 ROM tho! And need to install apps when I get home ....

• 3 weeks later...
Guest halljames

I got mine last week and really like it. Unlike a lot of people, I bought this primarily as a PDA, I have no interest in the phone side of things (mainly because I would much rather use my dedicated PROPER phone, my SE k810i). I have a sim card in it, but it is just a spare pay-as-you-go card for doing the odd bit of surfing when away.

I think the keyboard is alot better than some people state. Not much tactile feedback, but still very usuable.

Just deciding if I should put Wisbar advance and wisbar desktop on it. I dont want it to become unstable as it is now my primary TomTom device (selling my TomTom 510 to a mate).

Anyone know how wisbar stuff works on it, is it reliable????

Guest Deiota

Hello!

I am thinking about buying this LG Style-I but I have a problem.

For now, I can only buy it in USA where the power is 110-120Volts.

Here, in Europe, we have 220Volts, so if I connect the charger here it will burn.

Can I find the similar charger here in Europe? Which model?

Does anyone from Europe uses this LG?

Please help me decide!

Best regards,

Deiota

Guest Deiota
lg? why?

What do you mean?

I need to know how is the charger and If i'll have a problem with it...

Can you please help? Anyone with LG HBM-700 headset?

best regards,

Deiota

Guest Confucious

Sorry, it was late and I mis read your question.

Most US devices can be charged in Europe without a problem apart from the plug (you will need an adapter) I can't remember the last time I came actreoss a power supply that wasn't dual voltage so I doubt if it will be a problem. I haven't used one of these myself but other people have and I would have thought they wuld have said something if they had problems charging!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest whoster69

Paul I have a question for you. I know you've been reviewing the Kaiser recently. How does it stack up against the Advantage? Which one are you sticking with and why?

I've just ordered the X7501 version of the advantage from Amazon for $850. It comes with an 8GB flash drive instead of the microdrive and it has WM6 on it instead of WM5. No front facing camera, but that's no biggie here in the US.

For those talking about the bars on the Advantage, can you post a picture? I'm not sure what you're talking about. Why is this different than other phones like the 8525?

Thanks!