Photo

Could I get some upgrade advice, please? (T-Mobile)

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

impy78

impy78

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Devices:MDA Vario II/Hermes
am starting early on my upgrade plans this year, as I would like to be able to talk myself into a really good deal, so I need preperation......

I am coming up to the end of my 18 month flext 35 contract (with web n walk) in May.

I usually spend £10 over my line rental each month......

What i would like (in my wildest dreams!!!) is the T-Mobile Ameo, either free, or at a (heavily) discounted price.

If not, my second choice is an MDA Vario II (loving the windows mobile!!!)

And my last choice would be a Nokia N95, but only if the chips are really down!!!

Any suggestions, please??

Posted Image

RazorD

RazorD

Gadget Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Devices:Nokia N95

am starting early on my upgrade plans this year, as I would like to be able to talk myself into a really good deal, so I need preperation......
I am coming up to the end of my 18 month flext 35 contract (with web n walk) in May.

What i would like (in my wildest dreams!!!) is the T-Mobile Ameo, either free, or at a (heavily) discounted price.

And my last choice would be a Nokia N95, but only if the chips are really down!!!

Well, i've come from Windows Mobile to the N95, and theres not a single thing i really miss.. Admittedly, i'm not a officetype, but i do run Microsoft Exchange for my email and contacts and thought i would miss activesync much more than i do!

Things just work.. and thats been my issue with Windows Mobile (saying that, the N95 has a killer bug: If you hit cancel while its trying to connect to an access point, or it tries to connect to a preset access point which isn't available (like a wireless lan at home), the phone crashes and restarts! Its really not that big of a deal though, and will hopefully be fixed in a future firmware upgrade!)

-Raz

Swampie

Swampie

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • Devices:MDA Vario III + MDA Vario

The Ameo is free on a £75 per month Flext 18 month contract - sounds a bit high really.

If you're on Flext 35 + Web'n'Walk (so about £42.50 per month), and spend £10 extra on calls per month, then you could try going for Flext 50 + W'n'W - that would be about £57.50 per month total. On that tariff, the Ameo is a more reasonable £130.

These are new contract prices though, don't know about upgrade prices.

One warning though - you may need to switch to the new tariff before trying to upgrade - I'm not sure - but often it's your previous spend which is used to determine upgrade prices. This is certainly the case for Orange. I've never done an upgrade though - first time for me will be July time.

Thing to remember though is that whilst you might save £130 by going with the Flext 75 vs Flext 50, you're paying an extra £25 per month for 6 months (you can't downgrade tariff for 6 months). So £25 x 6 = £150. So you're almost breaking even, but get lots of minutes thrown in and don't have to pay up front.

Vario II is much cheaper. on Flext 35 + W'n'W (to new customers) it would be £40.

I like the concept of the Ameo has a portable internet device (I find the Vario/Wizard's screen a little small, and a bit low res - oh how I love the Pocket LOOX 640x480 screen!!!) - but as a phone? No way. I find the Vario fine to carry around. A bit on the large side, but okay on the belt case and not too bad - but nothing significantly larger!

Dr Who

Dr Who

Timelord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,987 posts
You can always do the old port your old number out to PAYG and get a new contract if the upgrade price is significantly more than the new one. It is a hassle though and means carrying about two phones for a month.

impy78

impy78

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

You can always do the old port your old number out to PAYG and get a new contract if the upgrade price is significantly more than the new one. It is a hassle though and means carrying about two phones for a month.

I have had a look at the Ameo, and although it is still a very beautiful thing, I don't think I can live with it as my main phone.

I have fallen for the vario II - lovely!!!

Posted Image

Dr Who

Dr Who

Timelord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,987 posts

I have had a look at the Ameo, and although it is still a very beautiful thing, I don't think I can live with it as my main phone.

I have fallen for the vario II - lovely!!!

Be nice to know if TMob are planning to release an AKU3.3 or WM6 upgrade anytime soon before you buy.

impy78

impy78

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
True, but I'm not too bothered about wm6 right now.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users