T-Mobile Vario 2 DTMF Tones after Hard Reset

Guest BazzaS

Guest BazzaS

Hi,

I had to do a hard reset, and now my Hermes/Vario II has the standand WM5 scheme.

I can hear "keypad tones" as I press keys, and even hear them 'in call' - but they don't seem to be received / registered at the "other end", meaning I can't navigate voicemail/IVR systems, or use 'calling cards'.

Changing the settings within "Phone", Options, Sounds, "Keypad" to either long tones, short tones, or off has no effect.

I've wondered if it is "using USA style tones", but have checked "Regional Settings" and they say "English (UK)".

I can't see a cure listed in the manual.

I've asked T-mobile CS for help with either:

a) setting the DTMF tones, or

;) re-installing the T-mobile customisation / theme, but they say it "can't be re-installed - once its gone its gone".

So, has anyone else had this and found a work-around?, or is there a setting I've missed?

Any help gratefully received!.

Barry.

Guest Dr Who

This happens when the customisation cab has not been run from the extended ROM on reset.

EDIT - I really wasn't paying attention yesterday, it would appear you already knew this!

Edited by Dr Who

Guest Lordsmiff
"once its gone its gone"

How helpful is that? ;-) And just plain nonsense.

The T-Mobile customizations are performed from a special area of the ROM call the extended rom that is automatically run when you do a hard reset ;) So the only way for them to be "gone...gone" is by you flashing another ROM from somewhere else.

And you wouldn't do that would you? :D

Either way, try hard restting it again - on the first reboot, you should see a message that says something like "customization will begin in 3...2...1" and then it runs some cabs and reboots back into a t-mobile looking phone again and should be back at the factory settings.

But don't believe the nonsense about losing it - there's nothing that t-mobile put on there that isn't stored in the rom unless you re-flash.

Guest jimbouk

Or google for "unlock extended rom hermes" and you will find ways to get at the cabs in the extended rom without hard rebooting...

Guest BazzaS
How helpful is that? ;-) And just plain nonsense.

The T-Mobile customizations are performed from a special area of the ROM call the extended rom that is automatically run when you do a hard reset ;) So the only way for them to be "gone...gone" is by you flashing another ROM from somewhere else.

And you wouldn't do that would you? :D

Either way, try hard restting it again - on the first reboot, you should see a message that says something like "customization will begin in 3...2...1" and then it runs some cabs and reboots back into a t-mobile looking phone again and should be back at the factory settings.

But don't believe the nonsense about losing it - there's nothing that t-mobile put on there that isn't stored in the rom unless you re-flash.

Thanks to all the people who have responded ...... I'm still enough of a n00b here that I haven't worked out how to quote and reply to all of you at once.

The funny thing is .... I've put up with this a while (durrr), and could have just done a another hard re-boot and intsalled the T-mobile custom cab, it seems ....

However .. I called T-mobile to ask to pay for the unlock code.... and they said it'd take a month! ... as I needed to use the phone abroad (3 weeks from the time of the call) .... anyway, I digress.... what was it you were saying about 'flashing other ROMs'? :(

So, say it had another ROM ..... perhaps one of the 'pof' variety :) ... is there still a way forward?

Sorry to be such a dumbo!,

Cheers,

Barry.

Guest Dr Who

I would recommend you just hard reset and hopefully the customisation ROM will run this time, or follow Jims advice and figure out how to run the customisation from the extROM.

Only flash a new ROM if you are confident of what you are doing. Read up on exactly how to do it. Read it again. Then read it again. It is considerably safer now thanks to hardspl (kudos Olipro) and if you follow the guides by mrvanx (again, praise where it is due) you shouldn't go wrong. However, you will invalidate your warranty from HTC/TMob and there is no way of downgrading the ROM to the default TMob version (unless someone has extracted it yet and even then if you can find it) which means if you have a problem, even a hardware fault, TMob may refuse to honour the insurance.

Guest Christopher Woods

Can't you revert back to the TM OEM ROM if you just upgrade the software and leave the radio intact? I thought that was why people were getting excited recently because they suddenly had this level of flexibility...

Guest Dr Who
Can't you revert back to the TM OEM ROM if you just upgrade the software and leave the radio intact? I thought that was why people were getting excited recently because they suddenly had this level of flexibility...

Yeah, you could if you can get a ROM image for the TMob ROM.