The dreaded DUST!!

Guest Pagemakers

I have had the US Cingular i609 for about 2 weeks now, kept in my jeans pocket and no dust under screen. I guess that's what we get for giving up WiFi?

Well still no dust in my i600 but WiFi. ;)

But what is a i609 ? I thought the BlackJack is the i607 ? Is it a new version?

Guest jstiel
I almost crack the screen when removing the battery the force to do it is so tough!

Actually, there is an easy way to remove the battery cover. You hold it in your hand with the bottom of the battery cover on the heel of your hand (just below the palm) and your fingers folded around to the front over the keyboard. Slide the phone toward your wrist using your fingers to push slightly down and away from the palm. It's all done with one hand. Kind of hard to describe - works like a charm when you get the hang of it.

Guest uro_who
Day 3 and no dust. Could this be 3rd time lucky?

Thank you for contacting Samsung Electronics.

[solution]

Ref: 2101906738

In response to your email, dust under the screen is not covered by the

manufacturer's warranty provided by Samsung and as such we could not

offer you a free of charge repair. Also, the email service is provided

by your network and we cannot provide settings to allow you to use email

through T-Mobile if they have not got the service activated. Also,

there are no updates currently available for the firmware of the i600.

If you are not happy with the phone, my recommendation would be to take

it back to your retailler andask about a returns policy as it is within

14 days of your purchase.

------------------------------------------------------------

I hopethis has been of some assistance to you. If you do have any

further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards

Alan

Samsung Electronics UK

Customer Communication Center

Tel.: 0870 726 7864(All calls charged at National Rate)

Homepage: www.samsung.com/uk

• 2 weeks later...
Guest loki_f

Mine is suffering from the same thing - so if it isn't a manufacturing issue, it must be a design feature...

I contacted Samsung and got the same response...

Any chance we could get a list of names and contact Samsung as a group... surely we would be more likely to get some attention then.

Edited by loki_f

Guest loki_f

So I called up Samsung Customer Service today to talk them about it...

They offered to clean it under the warranty, but I refused as it would be pointless if it just came back.

I eventually asked to register a complaint and got through to a nice woman called Ruth, explained how I thought it was wrong for them to shrug off the issue without any investigation, in which case she offered to promote the issue to Head Office.

She sent me this mail:

Customer Reference: - 2101924246

Dear Mr

I would like to confirm that I have passed you enquiry surrounding the SGH-I600 onto our UK Head Office for further investigation.

As soon as a conclusion is reached, Samsung will be in contact with you directly.

I hope this information proves to be of some assistance to you and should you require further support, then please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Kind regards

Ruth

Samsung Senior Customer Care

Now I would suggest that anyone else having this problem asks to speak to Ruth, and references the above... hopefully we can get them to acknowledge that it is an issue and get some resolution.

Guest Pagemakers

Why not return it to the place you bought it like I did twice?

There is NO way I would have a 2 week old phone repaired.

Guest loki_f

To be honest I don't want to go through 3 or 4 of them until I get one that is ok. I would rather the problem is acknowledged and that a new handset is sent out to me with a on the basis that it does not suffer from the same issue, because it is from a verified batch etc.

Guest mikehayes

I got my i600 in Singapore 2 weeks ago. Within a couple of days dust started appearing. I called Samsung Singapore Customer Support and they told me the nearest place to take it to.

I dropped it in about 12pm, the technician said that they would replace the front cover as the new covers are meant to seal better. I got the phone back at 5pm.

Will wait a couple of days to see if the dust reappears.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest cstmx_ryder

I also have this problem, but mine is on the top right hand corner near the scroll wheel.....It's frustrating to pay this much for a phone to have this type of issue.....This shouldn't be a issue @ all. All my phones were flip phones b4 the BJ, and NONE of them EVER had this problem. By the way, there's a easier way to remove the battery cover on the BJ. Just hold the BJ upside down w/ the keyboard facing outward w/ the battery cover in your palm. Then squeeze down on the BJ and at the same time, slide your palm upward away from the camera lense, then off goes the battery cover. It works like a charm each and every time.......Hope that helps.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest JasonOT
I got my i600 in Singapore 2 weeks ago. Within a couple of days dust started appearing. I called Samsung Singapore Customer Support and they told me the nearest place to take it to.

I dropped it in about 12pm, the technician said that they would replace the front cover as the new covers are meant to seal better. I got the phone back at 5pm.

Will wait a couple of days to see if the dust reappears.

How did this work out for you? I got my i607 about 3 weeks ago and already have some specs of dust in there, though they're all in random places, they're not all centralized near the volume button or any specific area.

I won't want to keep sending it back for repair, but if I can drop it off for a few hours and get a permanent fix, I'll definitely do that.

Guest darkness inc
How did this work out for you? I got my i607 about 3 weeks ago and already have some specs of dust in there, though they're all in random places, they're not all centralized near the volume button or any specific area.

I won't want to keep sending it back for repair, but if I can drop it off for a few hours and get a permanent fix, I'll definitely do that.

Samsung reply is

Dear Mr Taylor-Lawrence

Thank you for contacting Samsung Electronics.

Customer Reference: 2101997199

In regards to the issue with dust under the i600 screen, while we are

aware of internet forums detailing this, we have actually yet to come

across this problem ourselves - we use 9 i600s in this office alone for

testing, and not one of them has shown these symptoms at any point.

We suspect that this may havesomething to do with the manner in

which customers experiencing this issue are storing/using their phones.

• 1 month later...
Guest Retard-X

I've had my Orange i600 a week now and already got dust on the screen but mine is lil isolated specks all over the screen not concentrated in one place. I don't have much about 10 or so particles but when you have a light colour screen loaded they stick out like a sore thumb, at first i thought i had a dead pixel. Its not quite bad enough to send back yet and to be honest i've got it running exactly how i want it and i dont fancy starting from scratch again.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest wilson_pilson

I have two I600 phones and neither has any sign of dust. They are both Uk models. I wonder if this problem is with a particular batch from one market.

• 7 months later...
Guest Andy Bowd

Hi, after a few nights inside my i600, I think I've found a fix for the dust problem. I've documented it on a page at instructables.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Samsung-i6...screen-dust-fix

It's actually really obvious how it happens when you get inside them. You'll need a small philips screwdriver, a steady hand, and a small amount of blu-tack. (no, really.)