3 replies to this topic

Pagemakers

Pagemakers

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,288 posts
  • Devices:HTC S620
I have a Tom Tom 1 and it will not pair with the i600. It says the necessary features are not present. I guess no DUN means no connecting to Tom Tom ;)

Phone History: 7110 > T68 > T68i > 7650 > SPV > E100 > 6600 > P900 > Treo 600 > E200 > C500 > Jam > SDA > C550 > QTEK8100 > iMate SP5 & JasJar > HTC MTeoR > Samsung i600 > HTC S620 > Dash

Andrea Ricchi

Andrea Ricchi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:i600

I have a Tom Tom 1 and it will not pair with the i600. It says the necessary features are not present. I guess no DUN means no connecting to Tom Tom ;)

Same here: I have a branded i600, a TomTom Go 510 and and the same error message.
Any ideas?
This Smartphone is supposed to have the "smartest" internet connections...Plus I've paid a lot of money for it and for my tomtom, and they cannot communicate?

Pagemakers

Pagemakers

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,288 posts
  • Devices:HTC S620
The i600 does not have DUN (dial up networking) so it will not work with the tom tom.

Phone History: 7110 > T68 > T68i > 7650 > SPV > E100 > 6600 > P900 > Treo 600 > E200 > C500 > Jam > SDA > C550 > QTEK8100 > iMate SP5 & JasJar > HTC MTeoR > Samsung i600 > HTC S620 > Dash

tw

tw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Devices:SGH-i600
DUN was removed because MS thinks it is not needed anymore:

How is Internet Sharing better?

ICS is superior to the modem link technology in several ways.

[...]

With that said, we have gotten some feedback that ICS usability is actually worse in some cases. The Internet Sharing app requires that the user first “connect” ICS before connecting Bluetooth PAN from the PC. With DUN you could initiate everything from the PC side. This is something we’ll work on improving in the future.

But why did we remove Bluetooth DUN?

So you may be thinking, ok, Internet Sharing is really cool but why did you need to remove Bluetooth DUN?!? My car kit or Mac does not support Bluetooth PAN and I relied on this legacy technology.

Actually, Microsoft did not remove Bluetooth DUN completely. We still ship this technology to our OEMs. It is included in an optional package that OEMs and operators can decide to ship on a per device basis. Internet Sharing is also in an optional package. We did change one thing though. Internet Sharing is included by default and Bluetooth DUN no longer is.

Bluetooth DUN is a legacy technology that is likely to disappear over time. Especially when you look at the great experience Internet Sharing provides with Bluetooth PAN. It also does not make sense for cellular radios to continue supporting a legacy interface just to enable Bluetooth DUN. In the past we received a lot of criticism about Modem Link, especially related to usability. For this reason we decided not to include it by default.

Anyway, based on continued feedback from the community, we have changed our minds! We will bring Bluetooth DUN back by default in a future WM6 AKU release. Keep in mind that OEMs and operators still have the final say whether DUN will end up on a specific device.

Feedback

So, please give us your feedback. We’d love to hear what new features you’d like to see in Internet Sharing, whether you’ve had a good or bad experience, etc. Thanks!

Source:
Why did we remove Bluetooth DUN?

Edited by tw, 21 April 2007 - 03:56 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users