Samsung SGH-i600 -Firmware Updates here!!!

Guest humaxnet

Guest phat_sua

Hello guys I have an Italian i600 NoBrand.

I currently live in Romania where we have e providers... Vodafone and Orange for 900 Mhz and Cosmote for 1800 Mhz.. my provider is Cosmote... The problem is that the phone does not work on this Network... I have tried it with vodafone and orange and it works perfectly but when I insert my Cosmote SIM the phone says "No Service". What can I do ... when I search for the network I can find it. Somethimes when I reboot it says Cosmote (however if I call myself from another phone it says my phone is closed) and it goes back to No Service in 3-4 minutes. One when I was in this No Service mode I recived an SMS from a friend.. (OMG how did that get througt .. ) I cannot call anyone or recive any call. My imei is the good one.. its not 0000000000.

Thanks and please help I will be endeted forever..

Also all my FW (PDA . PHONE ..) are i600XXGD12

Guest Dead Cell

Is it possible to flash my Orange i600 with an Original Samsung i600 ROM?

And does my device have to be CID unlocked?

Would someone be kind enough to help me out?

Guest tetstb
Is it possible to flash my Orange i600 with an Original Samsung i600 ROM?

And does my device have to be CID unlocked?

Would someone be kind enough to help me out?

I've flashed mine with the rom avalilable on the WIKI page. I did not have to unlock it first and now i have carousel which is much nicer. Batter life still sucks but that I think is down to

bluetooth issues.

I've flashed mine with the rom avalilable on the WIKI page. I did not have to unlock it first and now i have carousel which is much nicer. Batter life still sucks but that I think is down to

bluetooth issues.

do you know if doing the firmware also removes the sim lock.

thanks.

Guest kassman
Hehe, I was curious too and did the excact opposite of you - flashed a i607 with a i600 ROM. The device boots fine but cannot find the phone hardware and USB connections don't work anymore (either from the bootloader or via ActiveSync).

Trying to replace the Open 1.1 loader with Xcingular 1.2. Have you had any success yet?

Has ANYONE solved this problem yet? I too have flashed my Xcingular Blackjack with the Open 1.1 (i600) ROM, don't ask why :) ... Do I now have a very light and expensive paperweight? :P

Any help will be appreciated!

Edited by kassman

Guest b_conquistador

I want to raise a few issues about this forum. It will not allow anyone to post links that will help people resolve their issues. This is absurd. What is the purpose of this forum then? Just to create traffic for its owners. That is aginst freedom of info. Its not the business of a forum to protect ROM copyrights. All the forum does is to create a link to a door that exists on the web, there is nothing illegal about that. The forum needs to consult a lawyer. Rapidshare is a host for software and I have no idea who uploads to this site, perhaps people from Samsung and others. Modaco should not inhibit links to Rapidshare if a blogger wants to post the link. If that is the practice of this website then, fellow bloggers and forum members, you're just creating traffic for these people with little to no resolve for yourselves. Create your own blogs and leave any link or post that you like without the risk of having it removed. I have been visiting this site for a month now trying to resolve my i600 ROM issues and all i do is flick pages on this forum without any resolve. What is it for then?

I've download a new update rom for my Samsung SGH-i600, but, there is a problem: how can i activate device's reflashing mode???

New update rom is a file.exe that explain this message:

1. Connect your device to PC using the cable.

2. turn on the device with reflashing mode.

3. please click start button if device found.

I try to search instruction over internet, but i find nothing!!!

Can someone help me, please???

Many regards

HumaX

Guest chucky.egg

Oh dear you seem to be confused.

It will not allow anyone to post links that will help people resolve their issues. This is absurd.

If your issues are about the use of dodgy/illegal software you're right - you can't post about it here.

What is the purpose of this forum then?

That depends - it's not the same for everyone.

Personally I come here to learn how to legally get more from my device, and to share information/knowledge

That is aginst freedom of info

The Freedom of Information Act is nothing to do with the use of illegal ROMs, or people bricking their phones

Its not the business of a forum to protect ROM copyrights

True, but nor is it the business of the forum to encourage/condone illegal actions

The forum needs to consult a lawyer.

Nope. You need to consult a lawyer (or perhaps the police) if you're using stolen software

Rapidshare is a host ... I have no idea who uploads to this site, perhaps people from Samsung and others.

Or maybe people who steal software

I have been visiting this site for a month now trying to resolve my i600 ROM issues and all i do is flick pages on this forum without any resolve

Have you tried contacting Samsung? Or starting a petition for a WM6 ROM (which is what I assume you're after)? Or buying a phone that has WM6 if it's that important to you?

Modaco isn't a "boot fair" for every illegal bit of software you could ever want. If that's what you're looking for you joined the wrong forums.

Guest chucky.egg

b_conquistador PM'd me this (by mistake?) instead of posting it, but I thought it made some interesting points.

interesting reply.

Some more issues. Actually you made some points that are assumptions. Whats on Rapidshare or any other weblinks in connection with ROM updates are not illegal, that is your assumption, and yours only. Do�

�you have anything to back this claim ? Secondly, when

a consumer buys a product it is their legal right to have access to any part of the device that controls its function, in fact that is what you're buying. You;re not buying a service, you're buying a product. The only thing is that phone companies know that no one will take them to court so they ride the wave of illegality. ROMs being withheld by manufacturers is infact also an illegal act against consumer benefit, and yes I have consulted a lawyer. Its exactly the same as you buying a computer. Where does it say that you do not have the option to upgrade or change OS on your machine, the only problem is that phone manufacturers hold this back from consumers and I am amazed that the EU hasn't jumped ontheir backs yet. The whole point about forums such as this isa bout information and not about protecting the legal rights of Samsung or any other phone manufacturer. As I said before your assumptions about links to ROMs being illegal is only an assumption that seems to be forced down our throats. If samsung has not protested formally to this forum or any other link in regards to its ROMs then what is the purpose of this safeguard other than to serve the holding back of information. When you say legal software please know that a ROM is actually an OS then runs the hardware device and the rulling by the EU anto trust legislation between Microsoft and other vendors was that it is illegal to distribute and hold back competition that would outbenefit the consumer. That no vendor is allowed to preinstall software that can harm competition by other vendors. Orange and samsung have done this exactly. The Orange software had disabled pocket MSN in order to give its own SMS service the advantage. The samsung i600 is advertised globally as having certain cosmetic features and functions which you can see advertised as the i600 European model. Most of these features are missing from my European version. This is misadvertising.

When you say have you lobbied samsung to release windows 6, i think you are somewhat deluded if you think its that easy. Most people on this planet are blind. When I come to such forums I expect to be surprised by knowledge not by its lack. I happen to teach IP law in e-commerce and i am not looking for an argument from you. Please remember that just because something is law it doesn't mean that it is right or beneficial to those whom it professes to protect.

There's loads of misdirection in there.

Much of it is just plain wrong -

- You're not buying "a legal right to access any part of the device" what you're buying is a licence to run the software/OS

- "ROMs being withheld by manufacturers is infact also an illegal act" is clearly bull, and I would suggest you find a better lawyer

Now the interesting stuff is where your Operator has allegedly removed functionality that they said would be available. It's important that they said it would be available, and not somebody else (like Samsung), because you can't claim they mis-advertised the device if you're quoting from somebody else's specs.

If it's the case that, for example, Orange have mis-advertised then I'd say you well within your rights to reject it and cancel your contract with them (probably at no cost to yourself).

For me though, the most illuminating part is the last sentence:

remember that just because something is law it doesn't mean that it is right or beneficial to those whom it professes to protect

You are of course quite correct there, but you clearly acknowledge that the law says you can't just steal what you want just because it suits you to do so. A bad law is still a law.

At the end of the day this forum is not about protecting Samsung (or others) as you rightly say, it's about the community learning/sharing/growing. In any community there are rules, and if you don't like them you have the right to go elsewhere (either virtually or in the Real World) but you don't have the right to ignore the rules that don't suit you.

The rules here are clear. If you want to post illegal ROMs you'll have to take it somewhere else.

Guest tha_neo

LOL @all this. b_conquistador got some good points there but as chucky says, they have rules and if you don´t like it you can go somewhere else.

And actully I think its good that we have forums where they don´t encourage people to do illegal stuff cause I believe that most of the people who come to modaco with bricked phones are people who read the crazy stuff on other sites like xdaforum and comes here to get their problems solved.

If you keep reading on modaco you´ll understand that you´re not supposed to upgrade your phone with roms from other vendors that don´t have the same hardware. There are alot of clever members at this forum with good experience.

Guest pierre
Hello guys!

I got confirmed from Samsung Sweden today that the WM6 upgrade is for sure coming, its just delayed and now it should be released late this month. To bad I sold my i600 yesterday and bought a HTC TyTn again - missed my Tytn too much :) Ok, the Samsung was nice but it couldn´t beat the tytn. Just thught that I should share the pretty good news with you

End of the month sounds like now. Anyone got news about this?

Guest energylab

I tried this updater from Samsung, but I get Incorrect version when i try to update.

I have a i600v (vodafone branded)...is there really a difference in these versions? Would I have to wait for Vodafone to release a version of their own?

So frustrating that WM6 is here and now I cant update :)

Is anyone else in the same situation? Is there hope? :P

Guest Mizzle
I tried this updater from Samsung, but I get Incorrect version when i try to update.

I have a i600v (vodafone branded)...is there really a difference in these versions? Would I have to wait for Vodafone to release a version of their own?

So frustrating that WM6 is here and now I cant update :)

Is anyone else in the same situation? Is there hope? :P

Try to update with an unbranded version (the GC2 or GD1)first and then update to WM6. I can imagine it won't work for a branded version. Mine was unbranded, significant improvements. For me mainly important that I now have full bluetooth compatibility with my carkit: full adress book sync!

Edited by Mizzle

Guest adiel
Try to update with an unbranded version (the GC2 or GD1)first and then update to WM6. I can imagine it won't work for a branded version. Mine was unbranded, significant improvements. For me mainly important that I now have full bluetooth compatibility with my carkit: full adress book sync!

Could you you please confirm what version you had before the update. thanks

Guest Mizzle
Could you you please confirm what version you had before the update. thanks

It was GC2. But I heard different unbranded upgrades performed succesfully! GD1 should work too.

Guest neilg
It was GC2. But I heard different unbranded upgrades performed succesfully! GD1 should work too.

I tried with both i600XXGC6 and i600XXGD1 and neither worked for me. Does someone have a link to a UXXGD1 version?

Edited by neilg

Guest Mizzle
I tried with both i600XXGC6 and i600XXGD1 and neither worked for me. Does someone have a link to a UXXGD1 version?

Did you use the AS version from the Samsung site AND the modem driver? I read that you should use exactly those two to succeed. Where does it stop? Can't you download the updater at all or doesn't it run the update?

Edited by Mizzle

Guest neilg
Did you use the AS version from the Samsung site AND the modem driver? I read that you should use exactly those two to succeed. Where does it stop? Can't you download the updater?

hi mizzle - thanks for your reply. I used the Netherlands version from the site and the CDMA modem driver - it all runs OK until you check all 3 boxes on the updater and then hit the verify button on the updater and it then it says Incorrect Software Version. Check the Device.

Screen shot below attached

post-44-1185971133_thumb.jpg

Guest Mizzle
hi mizzle - thanks for your reply. I used the Netherlands version from the site and the CDMA modem driver - it all runs OK until you check all 3 boxes on the updater and then hit the verify button on the updater and it then it says Incorrect Software Version. Check the Device.

Screen shot below attached

Although it doesn't make much sense to me, I read on a Dutch forum somebody didn't use the ActiveSync version that's on the Samsung site (but a MS ActiveSync 4.5 download instead) and it didn't work. In fact, he had the same error you have!

After he downloaded the "Samsung" ActiveSync, he managed to update... silly perhaps, but worth a try maybe? ActiveSync-according-to-Samsung can be downloaded here: http://fus.samsungmobile.com/i600/ActiveSync_Dutch_setup.msi Also in Dutch, but you'll manage :)

By the way, I updated in Dutch but I run my I600 in English...

Good luck!

Edited by Mizzle

Guest adiel
Although it doesn't make much sense to me, I read on a Dutch forum somebody didn't use the ActiveSync version that's on the Samsung site (but a MS ActiveSync 4.5 download instead) and it didn't work. In fact, he had the same error you have!

After he downloaded the "Samsung" ActiveSync, he managed to update... silly perhaps, but worth a try maybe? ActiveSync-according-to-Samsung can be downloaded here: http://fus.samsungmobile.com/i600/ActiveSync_Dutch_setup.msi Also in Dutch, but you'll manage :)

Good luck!

tried using the Dutch activesync as you suggested but still no luck...

Guest nehvada

Good luck!

what other languages are there to select from? any german?

Guest Mizzle
tried using the Dutch activesync as you suggested but still no luck...

Hmmm... my final shot: try setting the regional settings (start->settings->more->more->1)on your I600 to "Dutch (Netherlands)" and your language to US English. That's how mine was configured. If that doesn't work, I'm out of ideas... Sorry.

what other languages are there to select from? any german?

Jawohl!

Edited by Mizzle

Guest neilg

no luck for me :-( tried on a new PC with the version of activesync and drivers and packaged from the samsung site but I still have the same error :-( perhaps my i600 has a curse - I guess I can wait for another few weeks for my update though!

On the plus side I have now learnt some dutch :)