i600 Problem making calls when in HSDPA coverage?

Guest neilg

Guest neilg

Hi All,

ANyone else having problems making calls when in HSDPA coverage. Device works fine as a modem under HSDPA (very fast) but whether in use in HSDPA mode, or just in HSDPA coverage mine won't connect a voice call (outgoing).

Anyone know if there is a way of turning HSDPA off? Registry tweak??

Cheers

N

Guest neilg

Just me having the problem then! Samsung no help, device checks out fine at the service centre so they are just blaming vodafone (even though I have the same problem on Voda and TMO!)

Can anyone help with a registry tweak? I cant find where to look. Have tried similar solutions for PPC to turn off HSDPA but the Smartphone doesnt seem to have the same structure.

Cheers

N

Just me having the problem then! Samsung no help, device checks out fine at the service centre so they are just blaming vodafone (even though I have the same problem on Voda and TMO!)

Can anyone help with a registry tweak? I cant find where to look. Have tried similar solutions for PPC to turn off HSDPA but the Smartphone doesnt seem to have the same structure.

I have not the problem. I can make calls just fine when in HSDPA coverage. But I'm using a different network.

But you can turn off HSDPA if you want.

Run \Windows\testmode.exe. Then go to:

More -> [9] Common -> [7] Factory Test -> [5] HSDPA Status Check -> [3] HSDPA OFF Set

Edited by tw

Guest neilg

thanks for all the help - out of interest which networks are you using?

also, how are you 'running' testmode.exe - do I need a 3rd party file manager? I can see the file if I explore the dev ice using activesync, but I cannot see the file from the file explorer that comes with the device.

thanks

n

thanks for all the help - out of interest which networks are you using?

also, how are you 'running' testmode.exe - do I need a 3rd party file manager? I can see the file if I explore the dev ice using activesync, but I cannot see the file from the file explorer that comes with the device.

I'm using the O2 network but in Germany.

As for invoking testmode.exe you can create a soft link in the start menu for it using Activesync or Resco Explorer. You can also invoke it from Resco.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest lynxstan

Actually the problem is not the phone...it is the network

I heard some network does not support HSDPA connection + voice call together.

Hence when you are in HSDPA session, no voice call can be done. Luckily SMS can still be done.

Guest Stepir
Actually the problem is not the phone...it is the network

I heard some network does not support HSDPA connection + voice call together.

Hence when you are in HSDPA session, no voice call can be done. Luckily SMS can still be done.

same prolem with vodafone italy. If someone call me when hsdpa session is open and transferring data my phone is like turned off. If data transferring is idle I can receive the call....

check here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=302827

others have same problems....

Edited by Stepir

Guest maxmon

Same problem with Telecom Italia Mobile when HDSPA connected.

I had the same issue with HTC Tytn but even more frequent --> looks a network issue

Guest chucky.egg

I was about to ask T-Mobile to turn HSDPA on for me - can anyone tell me whether this issue affects the UK T-Mobile network?

Guest neilg

I believe that TM-UK is OK, I htink it is only operatrs with certain infrastucture that have the problem, looking around it seems that this is affecting other phones as well.....but it is pretty poor having a phone which is useless whin ing HSDPA coverage, am sure they will sort eventually though....

Guest neilg

I believe that TM-UK is OK, I htink it is only operatrs with certain infrastucture that have the problem, looking around it seems that this is affecting other phones as well.....but it is pretty poor having a phone which is useless whin ing HSDPA coverage, am sure they will sort eventually though....

Guest neilg

Guest MECX

The issue is that currnetly vodafone only supports one data stream when HSDPA is being used therefore if you are using the data connection (under HSDPA) you can not make or receive a phone call (this is packet data as you are using a 3G network not 2G).

Vodafone will be upgraded in the next few months to support duel streams.

Guest neilg
The issue is that currnetly vodafone only supports one data stream when HSDPA is being used therefore if you are using the data connection (under HSDPA) you can not make or receive a phone call (this is packet data as you are using a 3G network not 2G).

Vodafone will be upgraded in the next few months to support duel streams.

For me I still have the problem that even if not connected to a data stream (Just in HSDPA coverage) I cannot make or recieve voice calls. I am going to borrow an N95 to see if it is a network or phone problem, although on TMO I don;t have the same problems so it looks like a network one. In any case when making a voice call the phone should still only need 1 data connection as the voice call will still be routed as a circuit switched call. (In the same way you can have a 'standard' 3G or 2G data session in progress at the same time as a voice call depending on the class fo your phone). As soon as I have the comparison with N95 will post back.....

Edited by neilg

Guest MitchellO

Gee that sucks, I don't have that problem on Three Australia. Can make and receive calls while connected and transfering data on HSDPA (even when using the phone as a BT modem!).

Guest MECX
For me I still have the problem that even if not connected to a data stream (Just in HSDPA coverage) I cannot make or recieve voice calls. I am going to borrow an N95 to see if it is a network or phone problem, although on TMO I don;t have the same problems so it looks like a network one. In any case when making a voice call the phone should still only need 1 data connection as the voice call will still be routed as a circuit switched call. (In the same way you can have a 'standard' 3G or 2G data session in progress at the same time as a voice call depending on the class fo your phone). As soon as I have the comparison with N95 will post back.....

Vodafone currently does not support Multi Rab (The Multi Radio Access Bearer ) on their network (well at least in the south), so multiple data-streaming of any kind wont work. (Maybe in Newbury because of test sites in that area).

2G networks dont support multi streaming anyway it just hangs up the data session when a call is made, an update in Edge is DTM (duel transfer mode) that allows multi sessions.

Im not 100% certain about normal 3G to be honest but I dare say since multi-rab wasnt existant on all networks when 3G first came out the phone manufacturers drop the data stream in favour of a call--- I suppose this can be tested by streaming a video and then making a call.

When you say you are "in HSDPA coverage" does that mean you are connected to the carrier (a small "H" icon) or that the carrier is avaliable (I dont know if you can have a large H icon?).

I believe all the other UK network operators allow multiple streaming (im not 100% about O2).

EDIT:- Also I believe that when your connected to 3G your Voice calls are Packet switched and not Circuit switched so you would need two data sessions.

Edited by MECX

Guest MECX
Yeah standard 3G UMTS lets you be on a call and transferring data. Done it with a HTC Universal on UMTS.

Cheers for that :-)

Where abouts in the country are you>?

I suppose this is only a problem with HSDPA nodes then, unless anyone knows the standard way Normal 3G performs when transfering data and a call needs to be made--- It could drop to Circuit switched I suppose>?

Guest MitchellO
Cheers for that :-)

Where abouts in the country are you>?

I suppose this is only a problem with HSDPA nodes then, unless anyone knows the standard way Normal 3G performs when transfering data and a call needs to be made--- It could drop to Circuit switched I suppose>?

Sydney Australia :rolleyes:

Guest neilg

thanks for the replies. I am being served by HSDPA coverage eg: in HSDPA and connected as HSDPA rather than UMTS, but I am not 'in session' for data. Eg no active PDP context.

As far as I am aware all voice call on 3G networks are still being connected as CS calls since it is the only way to get even 12Kbps voice QoS guarunteed. ALthough the 3G/HSDPA networks do support IP Voice calls the network QoS so far cannot handle it so voice calls are still routed by good old fashioned CD. (In fact I think quite a few of the networks are actually using higher rate CS for data traffic for certain services to guarantee QoS) - nice and bandwidth inefficient!

I'll keep tinkering and post back what I find!

Guest MECX
thanks for the replies. I am being served by HSDPA coverage eg: in HSDPA and connected as HSDPA rather than UMTS, but I am not 'in session' for data. Eg no active PDP context.

As far as I am aware all voice call on 3G networks are still being connected as CS calls since it is the only way to get even 12Kbps voice QoS guarunteed. ALthough the 3G/HSDPA networks do support IP Voice calls the network QoS so far cannot handle it so voice calls are still routed by good old fashioned CD. (In fact I think quite a few of the networks are actually using higher rate CS for data traffic for certain services to guarantee QoS) - nice and bandwidth inefficient!

I'll keep tinkering and post back what I find!

Im sure the call traffic is packet switched in 3G as the operators are all moving towards fully IP CORE networks, they are infact using "Mobile soft switches" to change the Circuit swtiched data from the 2G mobile Phone to the base station to packet switched data to make a more efficient use of bandwidth accross the CORE networks.

3G is 100% packet swtiched from the phone to the Node, they may use the CS network to route to 2G nodes but im sure its packet swtiched from end to end for a 3G-3G call.

Interesting to hear comments im by no means an expert in this.

Guest neilg
Im sure the call traffic is packet switched in 3G as the operators are all moving towards fully IP CORE networks, they are infact using "Mobile soft switches" to change the Circuit swtiched data from the 2G mobile Phone to the base station to packet switched data to make a more efficient use of bandwidth accross the CORE networks.

3G is 100% packet swtiched from the phone to the Node, they may use the CS network to route to 2G nodes but im sure its packet swtiched from end to end for a 3G-3G call.

Interesting to hear comments im by no means an expert in this.

:-) me neither and I guess we are going off topic :-) Last I heard the IMS is only just now being rolled out with CSCF and media gateways etc. Certainly most of the original 3G networks (with the exception of a few greenfileds) were rolled out with either enhancements to 2G MSC and xGSNs or a new 3G MSC and xGSNs with the RAN being all new (RNC and Node B rather than BSC and BTS in the 2G world). Basically general status today is UMTS R99/R4 is most common, but that IMS core networks are gardually being dropped in - that said I am a little out of date these days as I tend to be involved in 'bolting on to' rather than providing network infrastructure outright, so maybe thinsg have moved on a bit quicker!