Bye bye HTC VoX

Guest RSkillz

Guest RSkillz

Ok, I had my mind set on the VoX but after someone pointed me to this...

HTC S730

..all I can say is: bye bye HTC VoX, hellooooo sweetness!

Some improvements:

400mhz

CSD, GPRS, EDGE, UMTS, HSDPA!

scrollwheel

camera WITH flash

...c'mon Paul, review it allready! ;)

Edited by RSkillz

Guest RSkillz
It's not officially announced, could be getting cancelled and won't be here till the end of the year.

Ah ok, in that case looks like I will be buying both ;)

Guest Dster
The Samsung SGH-I600 (out now) has all that except the processor and the camera flash

-camera is 1.3 megapixels instead of 2.0 on Vox

-triband instead of quadband

-WM5 instead of WM6

-more expensive

-fugly

Guest chucky.egg

2.0MP ? Whoo hoo! Now we can get bigger blurry images!

Does anyone really use the cameras on these things?

Triband/Quadband?

Fair point, if you need it to work in the US

WM5 vs. WM6

Now that is a good point, but for the limited benefits (at least until I get a 2007 Exchange server) I'd settle for WM5

Cost?

Mine cost £275, incl shipping. That might be about 10% more than a Vox, SIM-free, but you can have it now.

Fugly?

Don't agree, but it looks like I'm in the minority there! ;)

Guest Dster
2.0MP ? Whoo hoo! Now we can get bigger blurry images!

Does anyone really use the cameras on these things?

Triband/Quadband?

Fair point, if you need it to work in the US

WM5 vs. WM6

Now that is a good point, but for the limited benefits (at least until I get a 2007 Exchange server) I'd settle for WM5

Cost?

Mine cost £275, incl shipping. That might be about 10% more than a Vox, SIM-free, but you can have it now.

Fugly?

Don't agree, but it looks like I'm in the minority there! ;)

I can't help but feel like people who come into a whole forum devoted to the Vox, and then try to announce that it sucks, or is not as good as something else, are trolling.

Maybe we're discussing the phone in this forum because we

i) know about the alternatives

ii) prefer it to them?

I live in North America; want the latest, fastest, most stable version of WM; would like a device that looks like a phone, and doesn't scream "I'm a huge geek". The Vox is perfect, and will be widely available, hopefully, within a couple of weeks. I'm super excited -- but thanks for all your efforts otherwise!

edit: nice thread title, O.P. Why not just "Flamebait" instead?

Edited by Dster

Guest chucky.egg

You're reading more into my posts than is actually there (assuming that was aimed at me!)

Nobody is trolling.

Nobody even says it sucks, in fact I was hanging on for one when I decided to look around at what else was already available (hence the I600)

And nobody's trying to suck the excitement out of you (shiver). Getting a new toy is what work is all about

Guest Dster
Nobody is trolling.

Well, I'll take you at your word.

Out of curiosity, what feature(s) does the Vox have that make it interest you more than, say, the S620?

Guest chucky.egg

TBH i never seriously considered the 620 because it's not 3G and ... I think it's fugly!

The weight is OK, and the screen is very slightly bigger than on the I600, but I can't get past the look of the thing.

That said a friend who had one raved about it.

I wanted a smartphone (not PPC), Direct Push, and the ability to view Word and Excel. The Vox more than filled that list. But I was also looking for a 3G modem, so I figured combining the 2 would save me £300+ GBP per year.

The downside of my choice is probably the less than impressive battery life (you get a spare, but that's hardly the same thing is it?). I get through 75% of a full charge per day. [edit]I probably should add that my house is right on the edge of 3G coverage, so I get a lot of network seeking going on![/edit]

The potential downside of the Vox (as I see it) is the comparative weight. Plus I also have a nagging doubt about the screen orientation lag when opening the keyboard - my Wizard used to, and it drive me nuts. I could well be wrong on all of that though.

Edited by chucky.egg