Hermes to get WinMo6 upgrade!

Guest Gerald.D

Guest impy78

Pester power is getting there slowly but surely...just received this email (on a Sunday - poor buggers!!!):

Hello Impy,

Thank you for your further Email.

There have been discussions regarding a ROM update for the MDA Vario to to Windows Mobile 6, however there has been no clarification as to whether T-Mobile will be providing this as yet.

Any ROM update that is available for any of T-Mobile`s SDA and MDA range of handsets will always be updated onto the following T-Mobile run download website, the link for this is as follows:

www.tm-phonedownloads.com

I would recommend trying this site periodically for any updates or possibly enquire at a later date for any developments.

Thank you for contacting T-Mobile Cathy and if we can help further please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards

Customer services bod

T-Mobile

Come everyone who hasn't done it already, email t-mobile!!!!

Guest pd.ryder
Pester power is getting there slowly but surely...just received this email (on a Sunday - poor buggers!!!):

Come everyone who hasn't done it already, email t-mobile!!!!

That's the ticket -- keep it up :rolleyes:

Guest crazyc
I'm emailing them now. Is Windows Mobile 6 more stable?

In my experience of obviously less than final builds, my WM6 M3100 is now far more stable and crash resistent than when Orange sold it to me. It runs quicker as well. I would not go back.

Guest crazyc
Some seem to think that's not the case crazyc, and that an official HTC ROM will do the trick without infringing the warranty.

:rolleyes:

That would be good news - hope all the operators take that view. Being cynical I suspect they might not, but here's hoping!

Guest UndeadDevil

I got a reply today, pretty much the same as impy's

Thank you for your Email in relation to an upgrade to Windows Mobile 6.

Currently our product engineers are in discussions regarding this, we do not have any official confirmation of this being made available as yet.

Any updates for our SDA and MDA smartphones will be made available on the following T-MObile download site which you can access via the following link: www.tm-phonedownloads.com

I hope this information is helpful to you and if we can be of further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us.

Thank you for contacting T-Mobile.

Guest pd.ryder
I got a reply today, pretty much the same as impy's

At least they're "in discussions" now. A step forward perhaps, even if the discussions are around the coffee machine :rolleyes:

Guest dsunderland

" Thank you for your email regarding Windows Mobile 6. I am sorry but at present T-Mobile have no plans to release a Windows Mobile 6 update, I know they are talking about but we have no confirmation of when or if it will be.

Please find attached the link which will be where the update will be when it is available.

http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/personal/pages.do/help-and-advice/phone-support/phone-support-software-downloads

Best Regards

Best Regards

T-Mobile"

Exactly the response I was looking for... :rolleyes:

Typical, I just got the phone and flashed to Black and now it looks like the battery needs replacing! :P

Guest pd.ryder
Exactly the response I was looking for... :rolleyes:

Typical, I just got the phone and flashed to Black and now it looks like the battery needs replacing! :P

You will probably be lucky re the battery. They'll just swap it in the shop for you. Ring T's CS and they'll organise it with the shop on your behalf.

:D

Guest crazyc
Has anyone else upgraded to black? Is it any good? Worth it?

Yes and Yes (IMHO).

Maybe wait a week tho as 3.5 should be out in a few days (and leave another couple of days to see if any bugs emerge)

Guest touficjohn
Yes and Yes (IMHO).

Maybe wait a week tho as 3.5 should be out in a few days (and leave another couple of days to see if any bugs emerge)

How straightfroward is it? I'm used to frying harddrives and rack servers not phones.... lol

Is there a way to rollback?

Guest llch_81
Has anyone else upgraded to black? Is it any good? Worth it?

I couldn't be bothered with black anymore as the last one i flashed was SUPER buggy... (3.0.1).... everything from WiFi to BT didnt work / needed a cab to fix.

Am on a different ROM now and it's super, although the whole kernel has been built by chefs and not by M$..

Guest twizzle
I couldn't be bothered with black anymore as the last one i flashed was SUPER buggy... (3.0.1).... everything from WiFi to BT didnt work / needed a cab to fix.

Am on a different ROM now and it's super, although the whole kernel has been built by chefs and not by M$..

Ok i may have missed it but are Orange releasing this as an upgrade? Will WMo6 be available for Orange customers? And where would i look to find out? I havent a clue when it comes to updating roms and finding them.

Guest Dr Who

Orange have recently released the AKU3.3 WM5 upgaded ROM for the Hermes. Whether that increases or decreases the chances of a WM6 ROM being released on Orange I have no idea.

Guest UndeadDevil

Bump...

People please keep e-mailing your networks demanding a ROM. Remember Microsoft said that WM6 was tested on the HTC Hermes as well as other handsets and that your network has the ROM for WM6 sitting on a hard drive collecting dust!

Guest pd.ryder
Remember Microsoft said that WM6 was tested on the HTC Hermes as well as other handsets and that your network has the ROM for WM6 sitting on a hard drive collecting dust!

Where, when? Got a link to the M$ quote as this would be a very useful quote to include when emailing service providers.

Guest llch_81

Really don't see the big fuss about WM6 release... Just go to you know where and download the many variants available... *puzzled*

Guest pd.ryder
Really don't see the big fuss about WM6 release... Just go to you know where and download the many variants available... *puzzled*

Simple really:

Install Black 3.x and wave Bye-Bye to any remaining warranty issued by your service provider / HTC etc. If the device does go t*ts-up it will not be replaced / serviced / generally sorted out.

Installation of approved HTC ROM / service provider messed-up ROM = warranty intact and future problems sorted out when they occur.

Get it?

Guest llch_81

You've got a point... I guess not all of us use the device the same way =)

I'd get a new one if this one dies on me, f**k warranties as I'm possibly 7,000 miles away from the nearest Vodafone UK store haha!

Guest pd.ryder
You've got a point... I guess not all of us use the device the same way =)

I'd get a new one if this one dies on me, f**k warranties as I'm possibly 7,000 miles away from the nearest Vodafone UK store haha!

Ah yes. Just noticed where you are :rolleyes:

:P

Guest crazyc

In my case I suspect that accidental damage would ocur and the device would need to be replaced under the phone insurance, should the worst happen. HardSPL however very much minimizes the risk of an unrecoverable bad flash.

Edited by crazyc

Guest Dr Who
In my case I suspect that accidental damage would ocur and the device would need to be replaced under the phone insurance, should the worst happen. HardSPL however very much minimizes the risk of an unrecoverable bad flash.

Depends whether the damage is so bad that the phone is completely unusable. Recently mine stuck in bootloader mode for no apparent reason and there, for all to see, was my bootloader version, ROM version and Radio version. When this was received for repair if that had said HardSPL, or any ROM or Radio not supplied by TMob they would be perfectly within their rights to refuse to repair the device even under warranty, at least as I understand it. So before repair you would have to flash back to the original ROM, if it is available anywhere, flash the Radio back (is it possible to downgrade the Radio even?) and flash the original bootloader. Now, I am not sure that TMob would even care but I don't have £400 to gamble with to find out and having the phone recently b0rk made it clear that it can just happen.