7 replies to this topic

mattbrown

mattbrown

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Devices:HTC P3300 (Powermap Rom)
Last saturday I popped into town to look for a new phone - I had an idea, what phone could i get for free and that was the best the shop could do for me, searching around on Ebay i found the Nokia N95 went for about £350 mark, which was the same price (+or- £) as the P3300 i had my eye for a while, so with this info i went into T-Mobile (cuz of the data package they do) and asked there - on the Flext 35 it would cost me £49.99, i didnt want to spend any money on the new phone so i tried Phones4U - they said first of all they recomended I go on Orange as they "did" the phone for the price i wanted at the cost/month, (£45ish) - I was abit unsure - to which he said as a special "today only" I could have it for Free (instead of £49.99). The salesperson said that I wouldnt need more than 10mb/month anyway - even though I wanted it on T-Mobile (He advised the phone would cost alot more)>

I said i would "definately think about this as, what had first began as an idea, I realised I was in a position of bargaining here, so with this info I went into Carphone warehouse, and asked the guy there - I wanted to pay no more than £50/month and get the phone for free, He advised me on T-mobile - I could have this, BUT I had to take out their insurance package (hmmm) - anyway I thought ok, Ill just cancel it after the first payment so then the phone would have only cost be about £40 quid, I then got the phone played with it for about an hour - nice phone, but Symbian OS - So posted it on Ebay for £350.00 - on a Buy Now, (i Wanted quick sale) - it sold about a couple of hours later and the guy paid straight away, part one is done, - the next morning, after finally settling on the P3300 I put in an order at www.expansys.com (cost about 352.00 inc p+P)(the price has gone up on these there since) - and would have to wait for about 10 days for stock to arrive, well it arrived on the following wednesday at 7.20am - fantastic!!!

A few days later i got the paper work for this phone insurance and thought - lets see if i can call them up and ask for it to be cancelled - and they did it - just like that, and they wont be taking any money either for the first payment (If i couldnt have cancelled it I might then have tried to recall the DD)

So all in all the phone has actually only cost me about £24 quid intotal (taking into account ebay fees and p+p for the nokia - for which if i had sold it for slightly higher would have wiped my costs out)

I most probably will be doing this again unless - phone operators release untampered phones and have good data packages etc - most definately worth trying if you are after that phone you have your eye on...

mikeeey

mikeeey

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,986 posts
  • Devices:Nokia n82 (hacked)

Last saturday I popped into town to look for a new phone - I had an idea, what phone could i get for free and that was the best the shop could do for me, searching around on Ebay i found the Nokia N95 went for about £350 mark, which was the same price (+or- £) as the P3300 i had my eye for a while, so with this info i went into T-Mobile (cuz of the data package they do) and asked there - on the Flext 35 it would cost me £49.99, i didnt want to spend any money on the new phone so i tried Phones4U - they said first of all they recomended I go on Orange as they "did" the phone for the price i wanted at the cost/month, (£45ish) - I was abit unsure - to which he said as a special "today only" I could have it for Free (instead of £49.99). The salesperson said that I wouldnt need more than 10mb/month anyway - even though I wanted it on T-Mobile (He advised the phone would cost alot more)>

I said i would "definately think about this as, what had first began as an idea, I realised I was in a position of bargaining here, so with this info I went into Carphone warehouse, and asked the guy there - I wanted to pay no more than £50/month and get the phone for free, He advised me on T-mobile - I could have this, BUT I had to take out their insurance package (hmmm) - anyway I thought ok, Ill just cancel it after the first payment so then the phone would have only cost be about £40 quid, I then got the phone played with it for about an hour - nice phone, but Symbian OS - So posted it on Ebay for £350.00 - on a Buy Now, (i Wanted quick sale) - it sold about a couple of hours later and the guy paid straight away, part one is done, - the next morning, after finally settling on the P3300 I put in an order at www.expansys.com (cost about 352.00 inc p+P)(the price has gone up on these there since) - and would have to wait for about 10 days for stock to arrive, well it arrived on the following wednesday at 7.20am - fantastic!!!

A few days later i got the paper work for this phone insurance and thought - lets see if i can call them up and ask for it to be cancelled - and they did it - just like that, and they wont be taking any money either for the first payment (If i couldnt have cancelled it I might then have tried to recall the DD)

So all in all the phone has actually only cost me about £24 quid intotal (taking into account ebay fees and p+p for the nokia - for which if i had sold it for slightly higher would have wiped my costs out)

I most probably will be doing this again unless - phone operators release untampered phones and have good data packages etc - most definately worth trying if you are after that phone you have your eye on...

wow ur lucky. the phone i want tho is the p4550 (htc kaiser). only thing i dont like about the p3300 is it only has a 200mhz processor, and no keyboard.
the p4550 has everything except the FM radio.

my signature is too long

Webreaper

Webreaper

Addict

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • Devices:Samsung Galaxy S3
You could have just walked into O2 and got an XDA Orbit (which is the P3300) on a £40/month tariff, and you'd have got the device for free?!?!

BrownSource

BrownSource

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Devices:MDA Compact III
Hey I got the P3300 as the MDA Compact 3 on an upgrade for free (I'm only on Flext £25pm with no data or insurance) and as far as I'm aware you get much better deals for a new connection than upgraders.

I would always expect to get the Compact 3 for free. Period.
Getting the N95 or the Vario2 for free, on a reasonable price plan is a different matter.

mattbrown

mattbrown

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
But the XDA Orbit is on O2 and they dont do "unlimited" web browsing:

The MDA Compact III has Wifi disabled on it:

Webreaper

Webreaper

Addict

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts

The MDA Compact III has Wifi disabled on it

Are you sure? Why would T-Mobile go to the trouble of disabling a major feature of a standard HTC device?

Edited by Webreaper, 24 April 2007 - 06:13 AM.

mattbrown

mattbrown

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
Don't believe me - check this out

http://forum.xda-dev...ad.php?t=303221

Webreaper

Webreaper

Addict

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Don't believe me - check this out

http://forum.xda-dev...ad.php?t=303221

Yeah, I had a root around after I saw you post and found that, quite incredulously, it's true. Why on EARTH would they want to do that?!?!?! ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users