shadamehr

'That' Avatar Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Internet, Games, Women, Phones, Clubbing and Pubbing
  • Devices:Samsung Galaxy Note 3
  • Twitter:@shadamehr
Ha - Orange Data Offerings - don't make me laugh.

As a user with a number of accounts and contracts, with various networks, for both me and my other half, I decided recently that it was time to start 'consolidating' a little bit, and closing some of them down.

So let me tell you my tale.

In terms of the other half, her accounts are as follows:

1) Orange archived Text Only Package, £20 per month, for 3000 texts (limit, not a fair use figure), with no voice minutes - used as her main phone as she texts so much.
2) T-mobile Flext 35 with Web n Walk, for voice calls, and internet browsing all day, with 25% discount off.
3) O2 Online 500 tariff, with 200 minutes, and 500 texts a month, for £30, but she currently gets it for £20 (well me actually as it's in my name. Which she uses as her business phone.

What I ended up doing for her, is having a THREE MONTH fight with Orange and Customer Resolutions Dept., to allow her (me) to change her archive text only deal, to a standard Dolphin £35 tariff - 500 minutes, 3000 texts (fair use cap). And even then, after three months of fighting and faxing and writing, they still screwed up, as they were MEANT to match the Orange direct deal of 600 minutes instead, but when the tariff was finally changed, they didn't. Thanks Orange.

So this just left her T-Mobile and O2 packages - the O2 one being out of contract in a week's time, and the T-Mobile one in less than a month - so either or both can be scrapped, ported or whatever.

And what I plan on doing with these is cancelling the O2 account, and PAC coding her O2 number, over onto T-Mobile. This is because she now can use her Orange main phone for voice calls too, so she doesn't need her T-Mobile for that anymore - so she will just port her business number onto the existing account. Then she can use Orange for text and normal voice, T-Mobile for Business Voice and text, and use the same T-Mobile account for her Unlimited Internet a la Web n Walk.

This is because Orange still have NOTHING to offer, to allow her to 'consolidate' as you will see from the tale of MY own accounts next:

Right, now that her accounts are sorted, time to turn attention to my own.

I'm a bit more straightforward in that I only have TWO accounts, to her three (which are in my name anyway *lol*)

I have:

1) O2 Online £35, with 750 minutes and 750 or a 1000 texts, can't remember which, but discounted to £28 a month at present (bear in mind from dealing with this for many family members though, O2 Online have not been offering any good retention deals lately - in fact, if you take out a new handset upgrade, for three of my family members, they have said this will mean they will lose the existing line rental discount they currently have).
2) T-Mobile Flext 30 + W n W with 25% off both elements.

I use my O2 as my main line for all things, but utilise the T-Mobile one solely for data only, web, email, and blogging, for the last 18 months, so the inclusive allowance of calls and texts has all but been wasted - a situation I am obviously keen to resolve.

So I went round the Metrocentre last week, to ALL the networks, and even rang a number of independents.

And this is what we found:

Orange Direct
Can do me a Dolphin £35 tariff to add to my existing account as used by partner, mentioned above, with 500 minutes, and 3000 texts.

Problem here? Data... Get this, the Store Supervisor didn't even know of the existence of any Data Bundle for Consumers, as poor as it happens to be already with the mooted 30MB limit a month. He was adamant that there was no such thing, and there was NO data offering I could have other than getting a data card and business account. I explained loudly to him what actually was available, but would he hell have it.

So my problem with Orange was twofold... it offered the best value calls and texts package of any net at the price point I was looking for, but did not allow me the opportunity to add a Data bundle like WnW, or even if I could get past the thick supervisor, the 30Mb a month limit is all but useless to me.

So in short, Orange literally did rule themselves right out of the game from the off, because of still not having a decent data bundle offering like T-Mobile. Let's remember here, i am not splitting hairs, my whole intention here is to start CONSOLIDATING accounts and packages, so no point at all going to Orange, with the best Voice and Text deal, if I still have to keep my other accounts open.

Orange Independents
Same as above for Orange, but with the added bonus of either a free gift such as X-Box 360, or HALF PRICE line rental on a basic handset, on Orange Dolphin £35 - May I suggest you check out the Modaco Shop for some GREAT offers, if this package appeals to you.

Again, this was a none-starter right from the off however, as it STILL means I can't CONSOLIDATE thanks to no proper data bundle. Now do you see where I am going with this... that Orange, even with the best base tariffs by far now, in Dolphin £35, still completely rule out a large number of people right from the outset, by not having a data bundle, which means they need to have two accounts otherwise.

O2 Retentions
Tried to offer me a basic tariff deal loosely approaching Orange's Dolphin 35, but still could not offer the same amount of texts.

Additionally, what was curious, was that he told me O2 offer 75MB data for £10 a month, which I did not know, and none of us on here seem to be aware of, as it's better than Orange, but costs slightly more, but he did say he could add this by doing an offset against my line rental, to bring the net cost of the bundle down to the same as WnW.

So O2 actually looked a bit better than I thought, but still not ideal, in that for the same money going out each month, I could manage roughly 750 minutes, 1000 texts, and 75MB of data.

With Orange, it would be 500 mins, 3000 texts, and 30Mb Data.

So O2 still were not good enough for me, as 75MB is no use to me. 1GB may be loads more than I need, but I have proved regular in the past that I do however still go over 100MB certain months.

Finally, T-Mobile.
Now admittedly, this one is only an option for me because of my 25% off both tariff and WnW for life, because of when I joined T-Mobile, thus bringing the cost of something like Flext 50 + WnW down to just £43 instead of £57.50, and thus actually cheaper than the prices quoted for packages with Orange and O2 mentioned above. For others, this might be a none-starter due to the package cost, but for many of us that joined T-Mobile when we did, we get a loyalty discount.

So with T-Mobile, I can change my existing Flext 30 + Wnw for which I hardly use the tariff element, up to Flext 50. This will then mean I can make around 200 minutes of calls, (Which is actually probably more than enough, it's just that Orange and O2 lump high minutes in with high texts on their packages, so I don' have a choice), and around 2400 texts, which should be enough for me, high texter that I am.

I will also of course, have my WnW, which as one of the ORIGINAL customers, does not have the conditions the later versions of it do, in terms of restrictions.

All of this, for a grand total, after discount, of just £43 a month!

And this is exactly what I am going to do. Port my main number over to T-Mobile, and uprate my tariff.

And as my minimum contract term on this account ends 3rd August, the nice girl in retentions has assured me the Evening and Weekend Calls offer has been extended until end of August instead of end of July as it was meant to end, so that when I upgrade, I can have most handsets free, including (promised and noted) an N95, to give an idea of the price, and when I upgrade in August, I will have free evening and weekend calls for life, added to my account. So the value of it just increased more again! All without losing my 25% discount, and this has been added to the notes in case of any issues later when upgrading.

So Orange lose out, because of lack of decent Data Bundles.

And let me clarify something for you... I am aware that this scenario only applies to me, in that I have a 25% discount with T-Mobile.

HOWEVER, even Vodafone now, are better than Orange, as they too offer 500 minutes and 3000 texts a month for £35 just like Orange do, OR they offer 750 minutes and 3000 texts for £40, if that suits you better.

BUT... Vodafone's new Internet Bundle is somewhat better than the one Orange are meant to have. In that it is £7.50 a month, not £8 as Orange's is meant to be. And it's a higher data allowance of 100MB (or was it 75MB - either way, better than Orange's measly 30MB). Additionally, it includes things like Google Maps, eBay, Messenger etc as standard, supposedly.

So Vodafone, item for item, pound for pound, offer a better package exactly, than Orange do.

Moral of this really long discourse...?

Had Orange saw the sense to bring out a true unlimited (or even obviously 1GB fair use cap) data package for around £8 a month, akin to T-Mobile and their WnW package, then Orange would have carved up, sliced, diced, and cubed, the entire UK mobile phone market, at around the £35-£45 per month price point.

Not a thing could touch it (with one caveat - MMS is not an inclusive element of Orange packages, so you would either pay a charge for these, or have to add a Photo Bundle).

But it would be as close to Heaven as it would get, for a lot of us sort. But by NOT offering a realistic data bundle, they have made many people CONTINUE to go elsewhere, or even STAY elsewhere as in the case of those of us who jumped ship to WnW when it came out.

Well done Orange on such a spectacular failing, right at the last hurdle of the race.

And here's to another wonderful 18 month period with T-Mobile, as truth be told, I'm not gloating becasue I am simply going over to them... I am an EXISTING happy customer.

Edited by shadamehr, 17 July 2007 - 02:01 PM.

Posted Image

shadamehr

shadamehr

'That' Avatar Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts
Right,

Since user "Spook" flagged up a potential issue I might expect, (thanks for spotting it mate) I checked again with T-Mobile...

I've spent half the afternoon on the phone to various different departments within T-Mobile... I don't know, 16 months of untroubled customer service, then this happens.

Long and the short of it is that I CANNOT have both 25% off, and free evening and weekend calls as previously suggested.

But worse, my Number port that I had arranged because of this deal/promise has indeed now passed the point of no return, and my previous O2 number is now gone, and heading over to T-Mobile without a way of stopping it now.

So my complaint email about this broken promise is now in the hands of T-Mobile, to see what comes, but it doesn't look good.

Brilliant eh.

This just goes to show you how true it relates to the original thread - that Orange not offering a decent data pack, is killing us... As otherwise I would be straight to the courts with T-Mobile, and straight off to Orange with my existing number.

But my problem is that even if I win back my number, which I probably will, and win some damages, what then..? I am still back to the awkward position of Orange offering me a GREAT voice and text deal, but my costs are likely to rocket due to high data usage, and MMS.

Conversely, stay with T-Mobile and see my Data Costs fine, but the potential for bills if I use too many texts.

I tell you folks, Orange could have KILLED the competition for good, if they had a decent data offering.

So thanks for flagging this up Spook - you have been as much help to me back as I was to you, so I am grateful.

At least I can keep my 25% and Upgrade to new handset, as that bit IS recorded in my notes.

But the deal is not nearly as good as first outlined - it's just that it's sadly, probably the best that is available, given Orange's position on Data Access.

Posted Image

Confucious

Confucious

Peanut Brain

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,636 posts
  • Devices:iPhone 5
  • Twitter:@Confuciousmobil
Over 2000 texts a month seems rather a lot (or is it just me?) If they are between you and your wife have you thought about using push email instead as you both now have effectively unlimited data. This, of course, doesn't help if the texts are to other people.

He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

shadamehr

shadamehr

'That' Avatar Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Over 2000 texts a month seems rather a lot (or is it just me?) If they are between you and your wife have you thought about using push email instead as you both now have effectively unlimited data. This, of course, doesn't help if the texts are to other people.

Ha, alas mate no - it stems from the job role/occupation, as typified by my avatar...

I am a Senior Door Supervisor (Bouncer), so send literally hundreds and hundreds of texts on the door 'discreetly' whilst at work, where clearly I can't make calls.

This is to various people, and for various purposes, including work.

And in fairness, until recently, I thought the 1000 texts I get with O2 a month were enough, but since a promotion in the job, I have been going steadily over these.

I am hopeful however, that 2000 a month is enough with Flext 50. Problem with that though is it means only 240 or so minutes of calls a month, whereas now my tariff includes 750 - I am not sure how many I actually use though, so hopefully 240 will be enough.

*lol*

Posted Image

Confucious

Confucious

Peanut Brain

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,636 posts
I'm lucky, I use a LOT of data but Flext35 gives me more texts and data than I'll ever use so that plus W'n'W plus = £47.50 - less 23% costs me £35.63 for all my needs :) I'm very happy with T-Mob, but I'm not an Ubber texter like u. Hopefully you'll find Flext50 enough.

Good luck.

He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

shadamehr

shadamehr

'That' Avatar Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

I'm lucky, I use a LOT of data but Flext35 gives me more texts and data than I'll ever use so that plus W'n'W plus = £47.50 - less 23% costs me £35.63 for all my needs :) I'm very happy with T-Mob, but I'm not an Ubber texter like u. Hopefully you'll find Flext50 enough.

Good luck.

Thanks Confucius.

As you might tell, I am still planning on staying with them, as fulfilling my needs correctly or not, they are the closest thing to it. It's just a shame that it's not what they promised, which WOULD have been exactly my ideal all round package.

Additionally, it's certainly a shame that Porting your number IN to a network, and thus in effect, at the very start of the 'relationship' if I can call it that, you are at your most angry and disappointed towards that network... not the way to start things off.

I also know for a fact that come upgrade time, I am going to have to argue tooth and nail with them that I can keep my 25% discount, whilst getting a new handset free, but at least it's in my notes to back it up.

What I am sure they WILL still do however, is insist I move over to the current user terms for Web n Walk, instead of the original early adopter terms that were more favourable.

They will slip that change in by the back door I have no doubt.

Oh well, no one ever said shopping for the best mobile deal was easy...

*lol*

I still think T-Mobile are the best - and funnily enough, to say that, DESPITE everything they have done to me today, I reckon that just goes to show how good T-Mobile really must be, to still come out the best for me, after all that.

Mmmmm. Strange world isn't it.

Posted Image

shadamehr

shadamehr

'That' Avatar Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts
Just an update, and I promise to do it in a manner whereby I don't appear to gloat, as after all, I have one of the members on here, Sppok, to thank in part!.

Well my number port went through on Monday, and I am now with T-Mobile on my key number.

But after various calls to them over my 'problem' in terms of what they originally promised before I ported in, with no real result, I sent them a lengthy email about all this.

I woke this morning to find a voice message on my phone from T-Mobile Customer Relations, stating that they would call back at around 10am.

At exactly 10am I got a phone call from a friendly CS lad in Email Support team.

He asked me, in my own words, to briefly summarise what had happened again.

When I was finished, he asked me to confirm, that what I was aiming for, as indicated to me originally, was for my 25% to stay on, as well as to be able to go over to Free Evening and Weekend Calls too.

I said yes.

So he then said that it was also suggested to me that the N95 would be free when I was due for upgrade, and I told him that was correct.

So he asked me, if, as a way of resolving this, I would be happy to accept:
  • A new N95 sent out to arrive tomorrow (TWO MONTHS before I am entitled to normally upgrade)
  • Keep my 25% Discount
  • Also have Free Evening and Weekend Calls added.
In return, as this is classed as an early upgrade, I agree to stay for another 18 month term.

Absolutely no prizes for guessing what I said to him!!!!

The only stumbler, was that when he tried to add the Evening and Weekend Calls 'bonus' he found he couldn't because of the existing 25% dicount for life on my account - so what has been said previous about not being able to apply TWO to an acocunt is clearly correct.

HOWEVER, he asked me, if I would be ok with him getting around this, by removing the 25% feature, but ADDING an ongoing permanent £14.50 LOYALTY discount to my account instead - this being what 25% equates to against a Flext 50 + WnW tariff.

I was more than happy to do this.

The only issue is that if I tariff change UPWARDS, this will be less than 25% I would normally get. But if I change DOWN (after 6 months) this would be MORE than a 25% discount (and this is the more likely route, if any, I would take).

As Flext 75 is way out of my price league, I am more than happy for this, as he has added it to my notes, so that when I do eventually next Upgrade, these elements can be explained and kept again.

So I am a very happy bunny.

BUT... I need to point out something - it was made clear to me that the key reason for this was both the misinformation, and moreover, the Number Port already completed - which made T-Mobile's position in this specific individual case, that much more difficult (as they couldn't 'give me back' my number without my T-Mobile account closing 2 months early either as it would be left with no number for it).

Were it not for my number port already completed, and the wrong info I was given, I have no doubts the outcome for me would not have been anything like as good.

But thanks to Spook's help, I now have a new N95 arriving tomorrow TWO MONTHS early, Free Evening and Weekend calls added to my account, and a loyalty dicount of £14.50 a month to equate to the 25% discount I was on, also added each month.

So I am grateful to him, and grateful to T-Mobile.

And keeping with the topic of this thread, more than happy I did not elect to go to Orange, especially given their poor Data Offering.

Posted Image

Confucious

Confucious

Peanut Brain

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,636 posts
T CS is excellent and they do have a habit of sorting things out to people's satisfaction. I have no complaints and it seems like you don't either now!
Result :)
Well done.

shadamehr

shadamehr

'That' Avatar Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

T CS is excellent and they do have a habit of sorting things out to people's satisfaction. I have no complaints and it seems like you don't either now!
Result :)
Well done.

Absolutely!

Thanks for the info and help too Confucious.

Posted Image

Confucious

Confucious

Peanut Brain

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,636 posts
Not sure I was much help! but glad you have got a good deal :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users