Anyone got GPS working ?

Guest oliverm

Guest oliverm

Im trying to get GPS working with TOMTOM6. The GPS prefs say that the software com port is port 4, so i tell TomTom6 that i have an 'other nmea gps receiver' (though i have tried all the options), tell it to look at com4, and sit back.

Hours later it occurs to me that it probably isnt working. All i get is 'No Valid GPS Signal'. The other com ports result in the error 'no gps device' so i know the com port is right.

Any ideas whats going on ?

Olly

--

Managed online backup services

G2 Support

www.g2support.com/backups

Get a free trial today

www.g2support.com/downloads

Guest Neil5459

You are right in that TTN is finding the GPS hardware.

Where are you when trying to obtain a fix? Satellite data is very weak, and you should try to be outside, with a clear view of the sky when obtaining a 1st fix. This can take up to 10 minutes.

Indoors, or in a shielded area you may not get enough signal.

Guest magic_peanuts

Neil is right, if you're used to using a Tomtom receiver, this will be less responsive and pick up less satellites so you need to be outside to get a full signal.

Also, use the 'Show GPS status' under the 3rd page of the 'Change Preferences' icon. If you don't get at least one signal bar in a couple of minutes you haven't got a good enough reception and you should move to a clearer patch.

Guest mikealder

Which receiver are you using, and are you moving once the device has achieved a position fix? - some GPS units auto off when stationary for a period of time to conserve power, of course this only applies if using an external receiver with the device, someone above mentioned a TT GPS - Mike

Edited by mikealder

• 1 month later...
Guest Jags007
Which receiver are you using, and are you moving once the device has achieved a position fix? - some GPS units auto off when stationary for a period of time to conserve power, of course this only applies if using an external receiver with the device, someone above mentioned a TT GPS - Mike

I have installed TT6 with the latest TT6 update which actually gives you the option of selecting the internal GPS receiver. Set it to port 4 and either go outside or leave the device close to a window to receive a Satalite signal. You can als use the Other Bluetooth option - this works fine as well.