Photo

Virgin Mobile Lobster 700TV: £34.98 DELIVERED!

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

Confucious

Confucious

Peanut Brain

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,635 posts
  • Devices:iPhone 5
  • Twitter:@Confuciousmobil
I got mine with the 20% but not the quidco discount :rolleyes:

He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

alanclose

alanclose

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

I got mine with the 20% but not the quidco discount :rolleyes:

Just did the same myself - If I had more patients I might have waited for Pauls reply.

PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,254 posts
  • Devices:All the Nexus!
  • Twitter:@paulobrien
You just need to click thru from the Quidco site (setting your cookie), then you can go directly to the URL in the first post.

P

You can follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/paulobrien / Follow MoDaCo on Twitter - http://twitter.com/modaco

Want to donate? MoDaCo is raising money for the Multiple Sclerosis society.

Posted Image

alanclose

alanclose

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

You just need to click thru from the Quidco site (setting your cookie), then you can go directly to the URL in the first post.

P

The only way to go directly to the url is to type it in - would tis not break the quidco link. Or is there a way to navigate to the 20% link via the quidco landing page?

PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,254 posts
  • Devices:All the Nexus!
  • Twitter:@paulobrien
No, the quidco stuff is stored in a cookie.

P

You can follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/paulobrien / Follow MoDaCo on Twitter - http://twitter.com/modaco

Want to donate? MoDaCo is raising money for the Multiple Sclerosis society.

Posted Image

alanclose

alanclose

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

No, the quidco stuff is stored in a cookie.

P

Thanks - to late for me, I've ordered and want it tomorrow but it seems others have had the same problem so hopefully this will help them.

Still a bargain at £42 - Thanks

alanclose

alanclose

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Thanks - to late for me, I've ordered and want it tomorrow but it seems others have had the same problem so hopefully this will help them.

Still a bargain at £42 - Thanks

Anyone else have a problem ordering this - I got a payment refused e-mail and when I phoned I got bounced from customer services to sales and back again and am now awaiting a call from sales again -seems to be a problem with the lifestyle discount code

Dr_StrangeTrick

Dr_StrangeTrick

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • Devices:HD2 flashed with WP7
Hi Alanclose I had the same problem, my order 'bounced' and I got a call from Virgin. When I tried to order over the phone they said they knew nothing about the 20% :rolleyes:

This also cancelled my Quidco order (I had to copy and paste the Virgin page to the Quidco page to get the discount box) but they said as I don't need a sim card then that takes £10 off the order and as I have spent more than £100 with Virgin Mobile this year I am eligible for a £10 upgrade discount. So thats £24 all in (£2 delivery charge) and I get the 200 mins as well :P

Hi again Dr Who when Paul did his 'Ask me about the Lobster' item I asked about the licensing etc and Paul said when you start to watch TV it makes a quick GPRS connection but if you check your credit afterwards you have not been charged. As for using a different sim card I don't think that would work as they check that you are a Virgin customer etc when you acquire the license.

Giffgaff the network run by you

cjgarside

cjgarside

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Devices:MDA Vario II
Hello,

Well thought I'd grab one of these beings as they are such a good price. If I only use it for 3 months then thats fine. :rolleyes:

Although I got the 20% discount, I'm not quite sure whether I was successful in the quidco discount as well - it's not showing any tracking details yet and I have to wait until after 06/05/07 to make a transaction chase. Guess I must have screwed up placing the order even though I cut and paste the lifestyle url from the quidco page. Then again I am a Spurs fan so I shouldn't expect to much!! :P

Delivery is due tomorrow.

Made a quick call to virgin as checking some details and they were adamant that after the 3month trial I would be charged the £5 a month tv access charge but we shall see what happens.....

I need to look into doing some research on this phone now to see what I can do with it.

Edited by cjgarside, 03 May 2007 - 06:33 PM.

Post hoc, ergo proctor hoc.
(After, therefore because of it).

Current: T-Mobile MDA Vario II with copilot on Flext 35 with W&W std.
Previous: XDA IIi, SPV E200 & SPV plus a number of non smartphones/pocket PC's.

Monolithix

Monolithix

Hardcore

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,783 posts

The marketing of this phone was the real disaster though. I haven't personally seen one advert for the Lobster in national press or magazines, let alone on television, and the only two or three ads I've seen for it have been very dull and uninspiring banner ads.

This phone was doomed to failure less because of its own merits - and although it's hardly the best euipped phone in the world, it does have mobile television! - and more because of Virgin Mobile's own failure to properly promote it.

Erm...the first advertising campaign for this handset had pamela anderson rattling on about how good it was!edit - of course thats not to say it was necessariky the best way to promote it, but at least virgin did try!

I still exist

Alex (nedge2k)

Alex (nedge2k)

Editor Dude

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
  • Devices:Too many!
  • Twitter:@nedge2k
FYI: Quidco is now down to 9% discount (instead of the previous £8).

Cab-O-Matic - The ONLY online .cab maker (now working again, mostly!)

Posted Image Posted Image

dearsina

dearsina

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Interests:I've been around since the days of the SPV (now suffixed 'Classic'). I miss the 8+1 way joystick.
  • Devices:HTC Vox
Anybody have a link to its specs? I just went ahead and bought it because my current SDA is so craptacular that I was considering leaving WM phones alltogether. Does it run a decent version of the OS?

agent.m

agent.m

Vario fanatic!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts
  • Interests:hip hop, mobiles, dj/producing,gaming
  • Devices:MDA Compact V aka Diamond 2

Anybody have a link to its specs? I just went ahead and bought it because my current SDA is so craptacular that I was considering leaving WM phones alltogether. Does it run a decent version of the OS?

Release Date: October, 2006
Dimensions: 58 x 111.2 x 23.8 millimetres
Mass: 140 grams (battery included)
Software Environment
Operating System: Windows Mobile 5.0 for Smartphone AKU 2.6
Microprocessor
CPU: 32bit Texas Instruments OMAP 750
CPU Clock: 201 MHz
Memory, Storage capacity
ROM capacity: 128 MB
RAM capacity: 64 MB
Hard Disk capacity: Not supported
Display
Display Type: color transflective TFT , 65536 scales
Display Resolution: 320 x 240
Display Diagonal: 2.2 "
Sound
Microphone: mono
Speaker: mono
Audio Output: 2.5mm jack
Cellular Phone
Cellular Networks: GSM900, GSM1800, GSM1900, UMTS2100
Cellular Data Standards: CSD, GPRS
Call alert: 16 -chord melody
Vibrating alert: Supported
Control Peripherals
Positioning Device: Not supported
Keyboard: Built-in numeric phone keyboard, 12 keys
Directional Pad: 5 -way block
Jog / Scroll Wheel: Not supported
Interfaces
Expansion Slots: SDIO, microSD, TransFlash
Serial: RS-232 , 115200bit/s
USB: USB 1.1 client, 12Mbit/s , USB Series Mini-B (mini-USB) connector
Bluetooth: Bluetooth 2.0
Wireless LAN: Not supported
Multimedia Telecommunication
Analog TV: Not supported
Analog Radio: Not supported
Digital Media Broadcast: DAB tuner
Built-in Digital Camera
Main Camera: CMOS sensor, 1.3MP
Built-in Flash: Not supported
Power Supply
Battery: Lithium-ion , removable
Battery Capacity: 1150 mAh

Edited by agent.m, 04 May 2007 - 04:51 PM.

Shuflie

Shuflie

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts
  • Devices:HTC One X
  • Twitter:@Shuflie

FYI: Quidco is now down to 9% discount (instead of the previous £8).

Just logged onto my quidco account and you're right. Earnings are £3.87 from buying the phone, I thought maybe they had just taken their administration fee from the transaction. Looks like I'll be in negative equity with quidco unless I buy something else :rolleyes:

Posted Image

nizmo

nizmo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Just bought one, thanks for this heads up, I would have never known, Im going to have three mobiles now, lol

I will just use the 3 months and the minutes up, then put it on the bay

Shuflie

Shuflie

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts
  • Devices:HTC One X
  • Twitter:@Shuflie
Got mine through this morning and arranged for it to be unlocked through Virgin, do they even care if you've already unlocked a phone on the account you're calling in from? I put a SIM that I had from a previous unlock that I'd done for my sister in law. She'd bought a cheap SE phone for her Father at Christmas and I'd paid £30 on the SIM that came with that phone to get it unlocked him. As I didn't want two SIMs sitting around with £30 on them I just used that SIM in my new Lobster 700TV intending to have just one SIM that I could give to my wife with £60 on it. The guy I spoke to didn't even question the fact that the SIM hadn't been used since December and already had a phone unlocked on it. Hopefully the unlock code will come through without any problems.

Posted Image

Dr_StrangeTrick

Dr_StrangeTrick

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • Devices:HD2 flashed with WP7
Just to let everyone know, WM5 Storage works a treat on the Lobster :rolleyes:

Giffgaff the network run by you

KrashedKid

KrashedKid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
I have to say i am surprisingly impressed with the lobster. tv quality is watchable and the dab radio is fantastic. my much beloved vario died two weeks ago, and my trusty aging c500 now seems a little bland. hopefully now with everyone snapping up these lobsters, new innovations will start being developed (i.e full screen landscape tv).

still haven't had a chance to check battery life, my house mate screwed up the initial charging period anyway when he tripped over a wire (allegedly). but i'm sure it'll b better than my 12 hour battery life on the Vario.

This should hold me through until the smart phone of my dreams come through around june/july

ok...i'm off to play with it....anyone know details on data charges with virgin? also...i topped up the 100 minutes but it only says i have 100....will it give me another 100 next month?

Confucious

Confucious

Peanut Brain

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,635 posts
  • Devices:iPhone 5
  • Twitter:@Confuciousmobil
The 200 mins does seem to be 100 mins this month and 100 next month and it also comes with £5 credit.
I have no TV reception at all round here so it doesn't bode well for the train journey to work!
I think Data charges are quite high on V - might have to get it unlocked to use my T Sim in it ....

He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

iainmann

iainmann

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Devices:I-Mate SP5/XDA Mini S
I've sim unlocked my lobster and using Voda. I put my virgin sim back in to download the TV licences but just keep getting a "check your connection settings" message. I put GPRS settings back to Virgin GPRS, but get the same message.
Can anyone help?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users