Qtek ROM?

Guest rikpotts

Guest rikpotts

Ive just won an spv c550 on ebay and will want to install a qtek rom for it. I dont use orange and dont want to see the ornage stuff.

With my spv e100 I got a qtek from the swedish qtek site which was luckily in English when I installed it. Ive tried to find a qtek rom for the 8200 but cant find one anywhere.

This forum is called HTC Hurricane and Variants..... im wondering what these "variants" are and if the roms for them will work on my c550?

As long as I end up with a working phone with a Qtek rom im not bothered.

What do you guys suggest?

Guest mini_man

Hello there mate, sorry for the late reply.

The HTC Hurricane was a strange model released as there were very few updates for the device, it only came in 3 varients which made a change and they were the Orange C550, the T-mobile SDAII UK and like you say the Qtek 8200.

There is a discussion about it here.

http://www.modaco.com/QTEK-ROM-Installed-o...II-t248376.html

However the problem was that T9 was in a foreign language.

Unfortunately I cannot link too the ROM due to forum regulations but if you do find it you can use the cab file I have uploaded to change the predictive text too english!.

Sam

English_xT9.cab

Guest lazaj007

you was forget about Dopod 566 and Dopod 586 (chinese version of hurricane) and I-Mate SP4m - but i doeasn found this rom

sorry for my english :rolleyes:

Guest melfyn
Hello there mate, sorry for the late reply.

Hi mini_man,

I have the Russian rom on a spare C550 I have.

I had tried Paragon Interkey which changed the text input to our alphabet from the Russian alphabet but with no t9.

I installed your cab with interkey still on and all I could then get was numbers into the text field!

I have removed interkey so only your cab now installed. The text input is back to Russian.

It's not possible to press and hold the * key to choose input as on the Orange or t-mobile roms. Short presses on * scroll through abc, t9, 123 etc but there is no way of choosing the English t9. Any suggestions?

Mel

The HTC Hurricane was a strange model released as there were very few updates for the device, it only came in 3 varients which made a change and they were the Orange C550, the T-mobile SDAII UK and like you say the Qtek 8200.

There is a discussion about it here.

http://www.modaco.com/QTEK-ROM-Installed-o...II-t248376.html

However the problem was that T9 was in a foreign language.

Unfortunately I cannot link too the ROM due to forum regulations but if you do find it you can use the cab file I have uploaded to change the predictive text too english!.

Sam

English_xT9.cab

Guest lazaj007

@mini_man, You doesnt have right. dopod 566 and 586 also hurricane devices. the best proof: i have installed rom from dopod 586 on my spv c550 :rolleyes:

Guest melfyn

Hi mini_man,

I have the Russian rom on a spare C550 I have.

I had tried Paragon Interkey which changed the text input to our alphabet from the Russian alphabet but with no t9.

I installed your cab with interkey still on and all I could then get was numbers into the text field!

I have removed interkey so only your cab now installed. The text input is back to Russian.

It's not possible to press and hold the * key to choose input as on the Orange or t-mobile roms. Short presses on * scroll through abc, t9, 123 etc but there is no way of choosing the English t9. Any suggestions?

Mel

Guest rikpotts

Thanks for the replies. It took me 6 days to find it though in hindsight its not too hard to find. Im downloading it now and will try installing it after tea.

I dont see the problem in posting links... sounds a bit harsh to me.

Can I give a tip for someone looking for the rom.

Google q___ 8___ r__ and it within the first 5 returned pages.... the link is on a forum and its an ftp site. 6 days searching just for one link, whats the world coming to.

Once again many thanks for the replies..... I very nearly gave up looking for this rom. :rolleyes:

Guest rikpotts

Many Thanks for the replies. I finally found a russian qtek rom and am about to try it out.

Wish me luck!

In fact im finding it difficult to cid unlock my phone.... does anyone know how I can do this? SPV Services doesnt work for some reason.

Edited by rikpotts

Guest rikpotts

well I got it installed and its working fine only I cant get rid of the russian. When I try an sms I cant even type in letters, its just numbers?

Its strange because bits are in english and bits are in russian. More russian than english though :rolleyes:

Ive set it to English UK in regional settings too.

EDIT: It needed a reboot... sorry, its late!

Edited by rikpotts

Guest C++ Developer

After reading through various posts I haven't found an answer as to why anybody would want to change the ROM in their Orange C550. What's the point?

Guest rikpotts

To get rid of the orange crap. I use and different operator. Orange are the ones who have played with the phone not qtek, I want it the way it was when it came out of the factory.

Guest melfyn
After reading through various posts I haven't found an answer as to why anybody would want to change the ROM in their Orange C550. What's the point?

Mine is spare and I wanted to have a play!

It was one of the original SPV C550's and would not sync with WMP.

I tried the T-Mobile Rom which worked fine but again it did not sync with WMP.

The Russian Qtek Rom syncs perfectly with WMP. The only issue is the SMS/Text.

Mel

Guest C++ Developer
To get rid of the orange crap. I use and different operator. Orange are the ones who have played with the phone not qtek, I want it the way it was when it came out of the factory.

Aha, understood. If I installed the qtek rom would I get the critical Mobile2Market root certificate that Orange thought fit to leave out and thereby make it impossible to load all sorts of useful applications, like PhatNotes.

I can see that some of the Orange menu items are quite superfluous and intrusive but to instal this QTEK rom just to alleviate some Orange issues appears to be at some costs since it adds some language related problems.

Why is this change worth it? Is this not just an anti-orange motivated change?

Edited by C++ Developer