Common Questions with HTC S620/S621/DASH...

Guest prince_aidin

Guest prince_aidin

Alright there are a few questions that I have that I hope someone might be able to help me with.

First question I have is has anyone figured out a way to get push email if they are not running on a MS Exchange Server, is there anyway around this. And if there is, is there any free way around it?.

Second-I have gmail set up as one of my mail clients, and I have it set up that it automatically connects every 15 mins, now during everyupdate or at the end of the day the emails are gone from the Inbox on my phone.

Third- And then ontop of it I get all the sent emails that I send from my computer downloading into my inbox, is there anyway around this, I am thinking it might be a gmail thing because it does the same with outlook on my computer.

Fourth-Does anyone know if there is data charges associated with MSN messenger?

Fifth- Any benefit in having your phone in the non-branded mode does anyone know if there is a big difference?

Any help is greatly appreciated as I love a lot of the aspects on the phone only if I could get some of these little things worked out,

any help is greatly appreciated.

Edited by prince_aidin

Guest xerxes
Alright there are a few questions that I have that I hope someone might be able to help me with.

First question I have is has anyone figured out a way to get push email if they are not running on a MS Exchange Server, is there anyway around this. And if there is, is there any free way around it?.

Option 1. Go to www.mail2web.com and sign up for a personal hosted Exchange account. This won't cost a penny and will give you an Exchange account that you can use for push email. There is also another version which costs about £1.20 per month which allows you to send returns from a different email address e.g. your emails look like they are coming from your existing Gmail.com account rather than from mail2web.com. This is what I am doing.

Option 2. The same as option 1 except using of the many other hosted Exchange service providers.

Option 3. Use Emoze (www.emoze.com)

Option 4. Buy a Blackberry and use the Blackberry Internet Client

Second-I have gmail set up as one of my mail clients, and I have it set up that it automatically connects every 15 mins, now during everyupdate or at the end of the day the emails are gone from the Inbox on my phone.

Guest nickcornaglia

Found this answer for the gmail problem...

ports should work at the end the correct ports are incoming 995 and outgoing 587

this is the right server info for gmail

incoming mail: "pop.gmail.com:995"

outgoing mail: " smtp.gmail.com:587"

Domain : leave blank

click on options when you set up your server info.

set the duration of time to check mail using internet

next check outgoing email requires authentication, and check requires SSL connection

next select get message headers only then click include and set it at 999k

***by doing this it will not delete the messages each time you send and recieve and still lets you view your whole email

hopes this helps

Guest prince_aidin
Option 1. Go to www.mail2web.com and sign up for a personal hosted Exchange account. This won't cost a penny and will give you an Exchange account that you can use for push email. There is also another version which costs about £1.20 per month which allows you to send returns from a different email address e.g. your emails look like they are coming from your existing Gmail.com account rather than from mail2web.com. This is what I am doing.

Option 2. The same as option 1 except using of the many other hosted Exchange service providers.

Option 3. Use Emoze (www.emoze.com)

Option 4. Buy a Blackberry and use the Blackberry Internet Client

thanks man awesome tip, i signed up and the extra 2$ per month is worth it works exactly as I want it to now.......nice name by the way

Guest prince_aidin

so now QUESTION 1 through 3 have been solved,

does anyone know any benefit from reverting back to the original firmware of htc excalibur

mine is the rogers firmware

second this is a simple question, does msn messenger that is part of the programs on the phone use parts of your data plan??

Guest nickcornaglia
so now QUESTION 1 through 3 have been solved,

does anyone know any benefit from reverting back to the original firmware of htc excalibur

mine is the rogers firmware

second this is a simple question, does msn messenger that is part of the programs on the phone use parts of your data plan??

1) I dont know of any difference. Anyway...you want WM6 in the end.

2) Yes...The built in MSN Messenger uses data....not text messages. Other programs like OZ Messenger use text messages, not data.

But if you are talking about the Microsoft Built in MSN Messenger....it uses data.

Guest xerxes
thanks man awesome tip, i signed up and the extra 2$ per month is worth it works exactly as I want it to now.......nice name by the way

Glad you like them. I've been using Mail2web consistently for 6 months now and their service has always been rock solid for me so I have no problem recommending them.

Guest prince_aidin

sweet deal, no i am very happy and it seems to be a good deal compared to the other ones..one question though about the mail2web

or using an exchang eserver set up with the phone again i run into the problem that everytime it synchronizes it erases everything in my box, and my deleted items for the new items, I am wondering is there a way around this? I know synchronizing on the phone and the server is good but I want to keep the copy of somethings on my phone for further reference and I cant do this,

I went into the settings and it showed what things are synchronized but I dont know what else to do any advice?

Second of all with the windows mobile 6 is there anywhere you can download a generic version that is not specific to your providor?

-now if you do download a generic version will you have to re-install some programs for it to work properly with your network

Thanks for all your help...

Guest prince_aidin

ow and also one last thing about the data usage of the msn messenger does it use a lot of data or does anyone know that info>?