i600 - USB Charging?

Guest JampoTT

Guest JampoTT

I'm used to being able to charge my smartphones via USB.

Using the datacable, I see the power icon showing it is connected, but the phone battery doesn't seem to charge.

If I connect the datacable to the external charger, nothing happens at all. I'm OK with that, even though I'd prefer it otherwise...

Should the i600 charge over USB? Could I have a wonky cable / phone?

Guest joparp

Using the datacable, I see the power icon showing it is connected, but the phone battery doesn't seem to charge.

If I connect the datacable to the external charger, nothing happens at all. I'm OK with that, even though I'd prefer it otherwise...

Mine is charged via USB cable without any problem.

Guest orcinus

Don't worry, it's charging, it's just a little slow. VERY slow :rolleyes:

Also, heavy ActiveSync activity seems to make it charge even slower.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest MitchellO

Yeah it will charge over USB, but only when connected to a computer. I used to charge my Treo connected to a powered USB hub that wasn't connected to my laptop, and it worked fine. The i600 won't charge unless there is some connection to the computer.

Guest orcinus

Er... I hope you don't mind me asking, but what's the point of charging the phone with a powered USB hub? The hub + it's AC adapter is bigger than the original i600 charger :rolleyes:

Guest MitchellO
Er... I hope you don't mind me asking, but what's the point of charging the phone with a powered USB hub? The hub + it's AC adapter is bigger than the original i600 charger :rolleyes:

Saves having to carry the AC adaptor around.

Guest orcinus

But it's probably bigger than the AC adapter :rolleyes:

Besides, the powered hub probably has an adapter of it's own, and i bet it's bigger than the stock Samsung charger.

Guest MitchellO

I don't carry it around, I have one at my mums (USB hub) and one at my dads (parents divorced). But the hub doesn't work now because of the stupid USB charging needing to be connected to a computer so I carry the AC adaptor between them.

Guest orcinus

Ooooh. Makes sense.

I have the same problem with my BlackBerry and the Sony Reader - neither of them won't charge without drivers installed, so i just put them on all the machines i use and keep them on while charging.

What bothers me about i600's charging is the fact it uses a proprietary connector instead of a mini-USB. That and the fact i can't plug my own earphones in it.

Guest MitchellO

But what's even MORE ridiculous is it doesn't even need drivers! My Mac has no drivers for it, and doesn't know what to do with it when connected, but it just needs to be connected to some type of computer to charge. Why they didn't let it charge from any USB port without needing a computer is beyond me.

Unless they wanted to extort money for extra chargers and car chargers (instead of the multiuse USB charger variety)...

Guest orcinus

To make things even weirder, my MacBook doesn't even have to be on to charge the i600. It charges just fine in sleep :rolleyes:

Edited by orcinus

Guest MitchellO

Yeah I have found that with a lot of stuff. My card reader even has its light on (the connected light, not activity light) when it is in sleep mode. It must still supply power to the USB ports when off.

I am considering buying a USB Battery Charger (one of the ones that you plug the USB cable into the USB port on the little battery-powered box) but I expect that it wouldn't work for the same reasons it doesn't on my standalone powered USB hub.

Samsung, you got so much right, so how did you get this wrong?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest SuperSleeper

Mine does NOT charge via the included USB cable, and I have tried on three different PCs and a USB Powered hub. I can plug in the cigarette adapter and the wall outlet, and that charges OK.

• 2 months later...
Guest Rapier

My I600 is charging through USB. More than that, since is pretty hard to find a car charger for I600 in Romania, I bought from a gas station an adapter plug that I put in the lighter socket and it has an USB connector to wich I attach the USB cable provided with the phone. And I can charge it. So there is no need to have a computer on the other side, it seems like just an USB powered socket is enough

Guest X-Ray A4T

I found swtiching the phone from activesync to USB mass storage mode allows you to charge on machines without activesync installed, may possibly work on powered hubs without PC attached too.

Guest Dutch Neary Champion
I found swtiching the phone from activesync to USB mass storage mode allows you to charge on machines without activesync installed, may possibly work on powered hubs without PC attached too.

I tried it out. It doesn't charge using the standard USB cable connected to my 12V Car power supply. The setting USB mass storage versus active sync doen't effect it. The phone indicate that it is connected, however no charging.

The only method for charging with the standard USB cable is when it has an active sync connection with a PC. No active sync connection means no charging.

If you have an alternative USB cable (different pin layout) this could be different, because the main powersupply adapter also charges without active sync.

Guest X-Ray A4T
I tried it out. It doesn't charge using the standard USB cable connected to my 12V Car power supply. The setting USB mass storage versus active sync doen't effect it. The phone indicate that it is connected, however no charging.

The only method for charging with the standard USB cable is when it has an active sync connection with a PC. No active sync connection means no charging.

If you have an alternative USB cable (different pin layout) this could be different, because the main powersupply adapter also charges without active sync.

Just set my i600 to USB mass storage (must have an micro SD inserted) and connected to my wife's laptop and my i600 charges.