You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Guest yattering

Guest yattering

Don't suppose that anyone is familiar with any infocom / z-machine interpreters available for wm5 smartphone/wm6 standard?

I've been fiending to play Zork on my Dash and am getting no love so far.

Thanks in advance,

J

Edited by yattering

Guest mikeeey

did u type this topic with your dash and it was acting up? lol is that why u had posted 3 topics?

btw i dont know the answer to your question sry, just thot id say something about your multiple topic posting

Guest yattering
did u type this topic with your dash and it was acting up? lol is that why u had posted 3 topics?

btw i dont know the answer to your question sry, just thot id say something about your multiple topic posting

Sadly, no. Once I noticed that I'd somehow triple-posted, I spent 20 minutes trying (and failing) to figure out how to delete the extraneous posts, then slunk away from the board with my tail between my legs. :rolleyes:

NOT an auspicious way to kick off my life on Modaco.

*sigh*

Guest mikeeey
Sadly, no. Once I noticed that I'd somehow triple-posted, I spent 20 minutes trying (and failing) to figure out how to delete the extraneous posts, then slunk away from the board with my tail between my legs. :rolleyes:

NOT an auspicious way to kick off my life on Modaco.

*sigh*

well if they knew it was an accident it should be fine, or had u already got warned from it?

btw im looking for zork, infocom, and z-machine but cant find any results.

Guest yattering
well if they knew it was an accident it should be fine, or had u already got warned from it?

btw im looking for zork, infocom, and z-machine but cant find any results.

naw...no warning

i'm sure they wrote it off as me being an idiot newbie, so no big deal

and yeah, i searched for all of those terms (and several others) too...

PRIOR to posting

i'm not THAT big of an idiot :rolleyes:

Guest Modoc
Don't suppose that anyone is familiar with any infocom / z-machine interpreters available for wm5 smartphone/wm6 standard?

Thanks in advance,

J

There are currently no z-machine interpreters for the Smartphone. There is, however, a Java app called ZeeME that will play Infocom text adventures. You can use your keyboard to type commands but you have to use the softkeys to actually input the commands, as it was originally designed for standard cell phones, so it is a tad bit tedious. You also have to pack your own games into the interpreter, it will not load dat files. You can download the program and a pre-packed version of Mini-Zork here...

http://setera.org/ZeeME/index.html

Let me know if you find any better options for playing Infocom games!

• 3 months later...
Guest mikeeey
So, it now would appear that the freakin' iphone has a fully functional, native z-machine interpreter but still nothing for WM6 standard.

How very sad.

<_<

haha, people can now finally realize the advantage of a keyboard, and why the iphone's onscreen keyboard is no good. it just reserves too much space for games or applications. yes im surprised the iphone actually got it first, but atleast windows mobile has many other ports and emulators.

• 2 weeks later...
haha, people can now finally realize the advantage of a keyboard, and why the iphone's onscreen keyboard is no good. it just reserves too much space for games or applications. yes im surprised the iphone actually got it first, but atleast windows mobile has many other ports and emulators.

On-screen keyboards curl my nosehairs. Give me a little tiny qwerty button keyboard any day.

Amusingly enough, there are ports of frotz for just about every modern (and quite a few antiques, too) platform available. There's even a GBA port.

There are also some ports for other Windows Mobile based portable devices, but none of them work on keyboarded smartphones.

Frostz can be made to run on a WM smartphone if you get the cab (which failed to install, stating that it was not intended for my device), extract and rename all the files, and copy them to the device manually. However, it is not functional at all. The main screen shows up on the left side of my display, and the program repeatedly displays an error stating that a Menu bar could not be created, until the process is ended via the task manager. I'm not an experienced programmer, but this suggests to me that the majority of the codebase is functional (the .exe ran, displayed a graphic, and then displayed errors apparently related to the user interface code), and might only requires slight modifications.

This experiment was performed on a Samsung i607 (Blackjack).

• 2 weeks later...
Guest x_spline

Thanks in advance,

J

Actually, I beleive ZipCe 2.1 should work just fine in WM6. Works even better in VGA mode. I have about a dozen infocom titles also, including; but not limited to, Zork I,II,III. You can get ZipCe easily for palm,MIPS, and ARM/SH3. Cheers! Let me know if you have any problems finding the data files for the games. Try doing a search for vintage test adventures.

• 9 months later...
Guest Landdogger
Actually, I beleive ZipCe 2.1 should work just fine in WM6. Works even better in VGA mode. I have about a dozen infocom titles also, including; but not limited to, Zork I,II,III. You can get ZipCe easily for palm,MIPS, and ARM/SH3. Cheers! Let me know if you have any problems finding the data files for the games. Try doing a search for vintage test adventures.

I spent a huge chunk of time scouring the internet for a way to get these games to work and couldn't find anything. I came across both of the programs mentioned above, but couldn't get either of them to work. I've got Samsung Blackjack (just I, not II) runnning WM5.

Would you mind giving me some help with getting ZipCE to run?

Edited by Landdogger

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ScreamingFalcon

Just a head's up, I did find a program called FrostZ while digging around for a Zmachine interpreter for WM5 SmartPhones and it is for WM5, just not SmartPhone edition. Also, it does predate the iPhone interpreter! Oh yeah, and he did post his source code on his website for people to tool around with it. Can anyone try to port this to WM5 SmartPhone or WM6?

http://jpdefault.altervista.org/?p=software&id=frostz

• 1 month later...
Guest ScreamingFalcon
Just a head's up, I did find a program called FrostZ while digging around for a Zmachine interpreter for WM5 SmartPhones and it is for WM5, just not SmartPhone edition. Also, it does predate the iPhone interpreter! Oh yeah, and he did post his source code on his website for people to tool around with it. Can anyone try to port this to WM5 SmartPhone or WM6?

No one willing to help a guy out even after I practically hand out a good looking source code?

(This is also known as a bump.)

• 2 months later...
Guest ScreamingFalcon
Q: You see a fork in the road.

A: Pick up fork.

:rolleyes:

On the ground is a pile of leaves.

>count leaves

There are 69,105 leaves here.

Edited by ScreamingFalcon

Guest macznik
On the ground is a pile of leaves.

>count leaves

There are 69,105 leaves here.

This isn't funny...

Still no interpreter... How come freaking iPHONE has one? :rolleyes:

I'd give my soul to learn programming overnight and write one.

Can't anyone port an existing one? Please? :)

Merry Christmas everyone!

• 3 months later...
Guest Genix9

Glad this thread was resurrected (forgot about those cool games back then) B) Did some digging around and found Zroft, a Frotz-ported PPC2003 Zmachine interpreter which seems to work pretty well on the Omnia.

Whole bunch of other Zmachine emulators. tools, spec dos, etc. etc lying around here.

Guest Genix9

No problem - it's been great fun digging these old things up again. As a side, Infocom has provided Zork1-3 for free download here. Just extract the dats, copy to over and load up :excl:

Guest ScreamingFalcon

Just a heads up, this one may actually work better than the old PPC interpreter that is out there. Also, he has provided source code for it for the adventurous types out there looking to improve upon his program. This one is more fully featured than Zroft in that it does support the Z6/Z7 games with the graphics in their original formats as opposed to converting them to Blorb and such.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest loopyness

If you don't mind playing the Commodore 64 versions of the Infocom games, you can try these emulators:

- Pocket Hobbit (free)

- Pocket Commodore 64 (commercial)

I have both and the Infocom games work quite well on my Moto Q9M. Pocket Commodore 64 is a little buggy, but I can use the keyboard to type and see the results instantly on the game screen. With Pocket Hobbit (more stable on my Q9M), you have to press a key to change to a text entry screen, then return back to the game screen.

• 1 month later...