Eten release Windows Mobile 6 upgrades for X500 / M700, shun T-Mobile / Virgin users AGAIN

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

ETEN HAVE RELEASED FREE WINDOWS MOBILE 6 UPGRADES FOR X500 / M700!

The updates, which require registration at Eten to obtain an authorisation key to install, are available at this download page at Eten.

After flashing the ROM (which of course clears all data), you'll have Windows Mobile 6 with all the usual Eten customisations. If you're a T-Mobile / Virgin GPRS / MMS user however, you STILL won't have a working device... i've tested on both my X500 and M700.

Shipping the X500 / M700s initially incompatible with GPRS / MMS on these networks is an incredible bug oversight, but shipping such a major update with the problem still in place (despite being well aware of the issue) is, frankly, unforgiveable.

What are you playing at Eten? :rolleyes:

P

Guest pedg

I tried the update in the hope that it would fix the GPRS problem. Before the update when I did a hold selection thing on the virgin GPRS and selected 'connect' it whirred it wheels for a few seconds before saying 'no'. Now with WM6 it does not look like it even attempts to connect. Is that what you get?

Guest neily
I tried the update in the hope that it would fix the GPRS problem. Before the update when I did a hold selection thing on the virgin GPRS and selected 'connect' it whirred it wheels for a few seconds before saying 'no'. Now with WM6 it does not look like it even attempts to connect. Is that what you get?

Hi I can't download the update did any one else have problems with this site?

I have an action code but when i get to the download button nothing happens i've tried it on two pc's and both ie and firfox give the same results

Any thoughts?

Guest pedg
Hi I can't download the update did any one else have problems with this site?

I have an action code but when i get to the download button nothing happens i've tried it on two pc's and both ie and firfox give the same results

Any thoughts?

Look at the thread http://eten-users.eu/index.php?showtopic=8808. I think some people have put the rom image in a couple of other places given the flakeyness of the eten server.

Guest Paul (MVP)

I'm pleased to say Eten have provided me with a for-my-use-only build with a test radio stack (the OS itself is the WM5 version), and it works on T-Mobile GPRS!

Here's looking forward to full releases with the new radio!

P

Guest pedg
I'm pleased to say Eten have provided me with a for-my-use-only build with a test radio stack (the OS itself is the WM5 version), and it works on T-Mobile GPRS!

Here's looking forward to full releases with the new radio!

P

Woot, as they say in celebration on another random forum...

That's good news (except for my phone bill as I may have to move the an all you can eat tariff)

I don't suppose they have given you any details about when this release might be or if it will be a WM5 or WM6 release or both?

Guest Paul (MVP)
I don't suppose they have given you any details about when this release might be or if it will be a WM5 or WM6 release or both?

No, i'll post here as soon as I have more details.

I imagine it will be a WM6 release.

P

Guest rsearley

Acording to the eten website, the official release for the M700 wm6 rom will be on the 23 May to allow for:

so the

Microsoft OS certification process

so the roms currently circulating are not 'official' releases and will need reslashing next week!

Guest Paul (MVP)

Very strange, when they were on the Eten servers!

Let's hope they get the T-Mo fix in (although having said that, i've found a bug in the new radio ROM).

P

Guest rsearley
Very strange, when they were on the Eten servers!

Let's hope they get the T-Mo fix in (although having said that, i've found a bug in the new radio ROM).

P

i never got mine from the eten servers, as when ever i went there it was saying not yet available!

i got mine from the rapidshare link

so far i have found the wm5 rom to have been more stable, maybe this is when the rom was withdrawn??

time will tell!

Guest trinode

Perhaps, but also you can't turn wifi using the titlebar icon (click it, shows a bubble, click off) instead of "turn off wifi" it says "turn on wifi"... bit useless when it's already on..

Oh, and speeddial won't run, saying it's not signed correctly or a component cannot be found.

so far i have found the wm5 rom to have been more stable, maybe this is when the rom was withdrawn??
Edited by trinode

Guest rsearley
Perhaps, but also you can't turn wifi using the titlebar icon (click it, shows a bubble, click off) instead of "turn off wifi" it says "turn on wifi"... bit useless when it's already on..

Oh, and speeddial won't run, saying it's not signed correctly or a component cannot be found.

wait for the official release!

Guest rsearley
Indeed, strange... :rolleyes:

P

i have seen the difference with this release.. it no longer accepts my activation key!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest basil brush

Paul,

Have you heard anything yet from ETEN about making the trial version of the T-Mobile fix live? Sounds like they're almost there, but just need to roll it into the WM6 upgrade.

Failing that, is the fix that you tested available for others to try / use?

Tony

Guest Paul (MVP)

The trial version of the T-Mobile fix won't go live and isn't available for others to use, they will of course make it available when it's 100%.

I've submitted more debugging data, and am waiting for an update (which i'll chase).

P

Guest toprobroy

Paul, I guess you may have seen my post on CoolSmartPhone, about the M700, but I'm posting it here as I'm hoping some others might be able to input. It might be possible that if this WM6 becomes available for the SPV M700, that it would fix my problems. So here goes!

=======

I'm on my second M700 since having it new from Orange about 2/3 months ago, as the first one gave me problems in disconnecting reguarly despite being static in an area with no signal problems. Other problems I had with it were that when dialing some numbers (no particular number) my phone would hang. Also when using it with my Handsfree Pama Plug N Go Alpha 11, quite regularly, the phone would hang and the only way to get it to work again, was to take the battery out.

I've also seen the time on it either take ages to update, from being on standy and some of those times, I had to switch off and on again to make it right.

There's more, Frequently the Bluetooth settings on the phone would mysteriously switch off. So I had to regularly go back to them and switch them on again.

So all in all, very problematic.

Now I've got the second one, some of those problems disappeared, BUT my data did get corrupted on the Kingston Mini SD. I've lost useful information and now I've formatted again, the cards are ok, but I'm not confident that will last. On top of that currently, the camera intermittently mucks up. What happens is that the picture splits down the middle with one have being part of what I took and the other half looks distorted and zoomed in with a transparent bit accross the other half of the picture. Weird! It hangs like that as well, but ocassionally it actually works as well.

So currently I have a support call thats taken about 3 weeks to progress to a supervisor. This morning, I got the Team Leader, who is sending me £25 credit for new MiniSD Card, but the camera problem still exits I tell them and I understand there is a fix to the Mini SD Problem. All they say they can do at this stage is forward the communications to tech dept. This usually takes 3/4 days, which is why I'm unhappy and have had to wait almost 3 weeks now.

I'm telling them that on HTC's site, there is a Fix to the ROM, which MAY help and I believe, (somewhere) there is a fix to the Mini SD problem. So I would like to find out exactly where I can prove the MINI SD is known by HTC and that the fix exists. I know on HTC's site, the ROM update is there, but it doesn't actually state its a fix. It says, "New Features and Improvements" but as I've started an issue with Trading Standards, I'd like to back up my case with more info.

So if anyone else has FACTUAL info to help my case, I'd be grateful. I love the phone, but I just want it to do, what its supposed to do, reliably and not lose me more data.

Thanks

Guest Paul (MVP)

Firstly, you're on the wrong thread, this is a thread about the Eten M700.

Secondly, where is there any info about the 'miniSD problem'?

P

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.