a way to remote desktop with your smartphone! (fun to play around with)

Guest mikeeey

Guest mikeeey

well here's a way to remote desktop with your smartphone for those of you that are interested in that type of thing.

ive uploaded the 2 programs you need (sphelper and WM6 remote desktop client)

this program, WM6 remote desktop client, just alone makes me want a ppc more than before. waiting for the kaiser to come out soon!

so here's what you need to do:

ss009modxk3.png

1. install WM6_RDP (WM6 remote desktop client) to your phone, and put sphelper on your phone.

2. open up WM6 remote desktop client, and set your phone down cause the next step you will be doing stuff on the computer.

3. you will need your computer's IP adress, so go to command prompt and type in "ipconfig". you'll see many IP's but use the first one that just says "IP adress" (usually starts with 192). now enter the IP adress in WM6_RDP where it says "computer" but be careful not to mess up typing cuz backspace wont workfor some reason. probably cuz its a ppc program.

4. now you will need to create a new user account on your computer, along with a password (yes a password is needed). i just called my account "sda" cuz that's the phone i have.

Now you can probably guess that on WM6_RDP "User name" would be what you called your created account name, and password is of corse the password you made.

5. now the last step you will need to go to Start>control panel>System. go to the "remote" tab, and check the box that says "Allow Remote Assistance invitation to be sent from this computer", and check the box that says "Allow users to connect remotely to this computer"

Now click the button that says "Select Remote Users..." Click the "Add" button. Enter in the user account name you named your account, and click the "Check Names" button, then say "ok" "ok" and "ok".

6. Now on your phone say "connect" (dont worry about Domain, just leave it blank (as far as i know)

On the phone it should bring up a message talking about if you continue it will log off the current user(this will not actually log you out, it brings your computer to the blue log in screen), say ok using sphelper. if you werent able to click the ok button then you will need to click the left softkey (which should say control cuz you have sphelper as your active window) and click connect. now try clicking ok and it should work. now look at your computer and it will bring up a window telling you a user is trying to remote desktop with you, say ok.

now it should start connecting and you can play around with it.

I recomend you set a shortcut key to the task manager so you can exit this easily. read further down to find out how to do this.....

here's how to re-map a shortcut key to the task manager.

go to the windows folder on your device.

now this will be hard to explain, but il try.

what your going to do is find the taskmanager shortcut (its called Task_Manager on my phone). copy and paste the shortcut to a folder on your desktop. and find the shortcut key you'd like to re-map. the shortcut keys begin with "Short_(something)", (On my phone i used Short_AP1, which is the T-Zones button for me) and copy and paste that shortcut to that folder on your desktop.

now in the folder on your desktop, you just need to rename the task manager shortcut to the name of the "Short_" shortcut you chose. now just copy back the renamed file to your phone's windows folder.

if no one can understand this il just make a short video on how to do it, infact, i think i will make a video, it will be uploaded shortly.

sphelper.zip

WM6_RDP_Finster.cab

how_to_re_map_a_short_key_to_task_manager.zip

Edited by mikeeey

• 3 weeks later...
Guest mikeeey
hi mikeeey. when i run the cab on my spv e650 i get an install error stating i dont have 'sufficient system permissions'. any thoughts? :-)

no i dont know what it says that.. so ive just extracted the cab and ziped the files for you here:

wm6_RDP_Finster.zip

Guest dt_matthews
no i dont know what it says that.. so ive just extracted the cab and ziped the files for you here:

thanks mikeeey, thats better :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tonytec
thanks mikeeey, thats better :rolleyes:

Hi All I've a HTC s710 I can connect to my office PC trough Finster but I can not use sphelper to use the pointer. Pls can you help me? SPhelper starts but does not work on my smartphone it locks sometimes and is impossible to control.

Guest jockyw2001
Hi All I've a HTC s710 I can connect to my office PC trough Finster but I can not use sphelper to use the pointer. Pls can you help me? SPhelper starts but does not work on my smartphone it locks sometimes and is impossible to control.

use fakecursor, works fine for me

Guest tonytec
use fakecursor, works fine for me

Thank you I tried fake cursor but it is not very compatible with my devive, for example I can not switch off it. Anyone knows if I can use bluemouse program on my HTC S710? :rolleyes:

Guest mikeeey
Thank you I tried fake cursor but it is not very compatible with my devive, for example I can not switch off it. Anyone knows if I can use bluemouse program on my HTC S710? :rolleyes:

yea i know theres no way to switch it off, which kinda sucks. if u do turn it off it just sends u to the homescreen. u say sphelper locks? the only time it ever locked for me is when i click the 9 button, it makes the softkeys stop working lol. then i have to take hte battery out of my phone cuz it wont turn off either.

Edited by mikeeey

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Gwtx2

I remote desktoped without adding a new account and without installing sphelper. I'm running Dutty's WM6 ROM on a HTC 8525. The PC is Vista 64bit. The only thing I had to do was allow the remote access in the Control Panel stuff. Then I started Remote Desktop on the phone (comes with WM6), added my IP address and an exisitng PC account ID/PW. The PC went back to the login screen with a message below my ID saying that I was logged in remotely.

On the phone, I could see my PC's desktop (as if I were logged onto the PC). I could start up Media Player and play a song, but no sound from the PC or phone (of course).

Also surfed the web (while viewing Firefox on the phone).

Not sure on the purpose of the other account and sphelper.

Guest mikeeey
I remote desktoped without adding a new account and without installing sphelper. I'm running Dutty's WM6 ROM on a HTC 8525. The PC is Vista 64bit. The only thing I had to do was allow the remote access in the Control Panel stuff. Then I started Remote Desktop on the phone (comes with WM6), added my IP address and an exisitng PC account ID/PW. The PC went back to the login screen with a message below my ID saying that I was logged in remotely.

On the phone, I could see my PC's desktop (as if I were logged onto the PC). I could start up Media Player and play a song, but no sound from the PC or phone (of course).

Also surfed the web (while viewing Firefox on the phone).

Not sure on the purpose of the other account and sphelper.

wel ur device says 8525, so im assuming thats the phone your using? in that case you wouldnt need sphelper, and no u dont need to create another acount if u already have a password on yours, but it will mess up the arangement of your icons on your desktop if you do use your account. thats why i was saying create a seperate one where its ok if everything gets changed around to fit the display of your phone

• 2 weeks later...
Guest juggler314
wel ur device says 8525, so im assuming thats the phone your using? in that case you wouldnt need sphelper, and no u dont need to create another acount if u already have a password on yours, but it will mess up the arangement of your icons on your desktop if you do use your account. thats why i was saying create a seperate one where its ok if everything gets changed around to fit the display of your phone

I'm trying to get everything all working on my Dash. I've got the RDP client working mostly ok (for some reason the keyboard doesn't quite work as it wont stop typing numbers instead of letters where they overlap - but I just made an account/password that only used keys not in that section of the keyboard to get around that).

I've installed sphelper - which works although the app is godawful and gets stuck and hung up all the time.

The problem I have is that it doesn't actually seem to *do* anything once logged in. I can move the mouse pointer around, which is nice that it lets me use that corner mini window to scroll around the larger desktop - but I can't actually click anything, the action button, 1 and 2 seem to do nothing at all. can't launch a thing.

Anyone have any thoughts?

• 3 months later...
Guest G-Stress

Hey guys, new to the forums and this is the first forum I've found that actually mentioned RDP support for wm6. I am having a bit of a problem though how exactly do I go about installing/using rdp in wm6? When I extracted the files I don't see any file that looks executable and I transferred the extracted directory to my phone and it's like it doesn't suppor the file types. I have a T-Mobile Dash. Thanks for any help/advice in advance.

Guest G-Stress

Ok I did get RDP installed on my phone, but not sure where exactly to put sphelper? When I connect to my machine it displays the desktop but it seems as if I should be able to scoll in order to see it all, but I can't scroll and there is no mouse.

Guest mikeeey
Does logmein work on Smartphone?

P

tried a long time ago..i got some message, forgot what it said, something about it telling me my browser wasnt compatible or I needed a PPC? all i remember is it didnt work because it was a smartphone

Guest mikeeey
Hey guys, new to the forums and this is the first forum I've found that actually mentioned RDP support for wm6. I am having a bit of a problem though how exactly do I go about installing/using rdp in wm6? When I extracted the files I don't see any file that looks executable and I transferred the extracted directory to my phone and it's like it doesn't suppor the file types. I have a T-Mobile Dash. Thanks for any help/advice in advance.

well wait a minute...you shouldnt have to extract anything. you just copy the .cab file to your device and install it from there. you arent trying to extract the .cab are you?

Guest G-Stress
well wait a minute...you shouldnt have to extract anything. you just copy the .cab file to your device and install it from there. you arent trying to extract the .cab are you?

Yea I did try to extract it at first and I copied the directory to the phone. Then I copied the .cab and it worked fine. Sorry I'm new to Windows Mobile, I'm still learnig how it handles applications and what file types. I was not able to get the mouse to work though. Might have something to do with sphelper, I'm not sure where exactly on the phone to put it. I believe I put it in \windows directory on the phone and in I guess would be the "root" dir on the phone also. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Kenjari

Good post. I just got put on to WM6 RDP a week ago. I really enjoy it so far. I have managed to get this to work between my ppc and laptop while I'm at home.

My question is this: Is it possible to access my laptop remotely using my ppc from a totally separte place? My goal, simply is to use my ppc at 'work' to access my laptop at 'home' via the internet. I have not been succesful with figuring this out.

I'm confused with the firewall, router, port, static IP .... stuff!

Reading other posts in other forums...I'm getting some understanding but no success as of yet.

If any one here can help me with this. Or let me know if it is at all possible.

Guest mikeeey
Good post. I just got put on to WM6 RDP a week ago. I really enjoy it so far. I have managed to get this to work between my ppc and laptop while I'm at home.

My question is this: Is it possible to access my laptop remotely using my ppc from a totally separte place? My goal, simply is to use my ppc at 'work' to access my laptop at 'home' via the internet. I have not been succesful with figuring this out.

I'm confused with the firewall, router, port, static IP .... stuff!

Reading other posts in other forums...I'm getting some understanding but no success as of yet.

If any one here can help me with this. Or let me know if it is at all possible.

yea ive been trying to figure that out too. now i have the kaiser, so it'l be much easier to remote desktop using a pocket pc. https://www.gotomypc.com/en_US/entry.tmpl?_...rgoto&_sf=2 actually has a .cab installer and you can view from wifi, or anywhere. it's only compatible with ppc, but if that's what your using, then good luck!

Guest Kenjari
yea ive been trying to figure that out too. now i have the kaiser, so it'l be much easier to remote desktop using a pocket pc. https://www.gotomypc.com/en_US/entry.tmpl?_...rgoto&_sf=2 actually has a .cab installer and you can view from wifi, or anywhere. it's only compatible with ppc, but if that's what your using, then good luck!

Thanks mikeeey. I will check this out and report any success.

Guest elixxir

Agreed we can do that......

but it's not really useful, is it ?

It works quite slow even with my local WiFi connection.

It's cool only if u're doing this for fun....

And there are many other easier ways that I found... VNC works all the same, and is easier to set up.

there's VNC2GO and VNCViewer 1.0.1.17 ... there were some more..., don't remember the names...

The method posted here is really one of the best ones, but IMO, it's good for PPC, not for smartphones.

I'm getting HTC Touch soon, hopefully it's gonna work with it ...

• 6 months later...
Guest Tikky7

I got this working on Blackjack 2 and I am using SPHelper to emulate the mouse.

However my problem is I can't escape from the lower right-hand (green) navigation pane if the mouse pointer is in the center of it.

Let me just try to clarify this: In the RDP client on the lower right hand corner their is a Green color navigation pane, which I guess on a touch screen phone this would be used to see all the areas of interest of the remote desktop when tapped at a location in this pane; now for those of us without the priviledge of a touch screen who use virtual cursors, scroll our mouse pointer into this field to navigate to various locations of the remote desktop.

If we are located at the dead center of this green navigation pane with a virtual cursor there is no way to escape out of it without shifting the screen that is being displayed in one direction (either all the way up,down,left or right). The inability to tap is what is causing this disadvantage. If the user has the ability to tap then he could first tap on the center of this navigation pane and then work on the section currently being displayed for the remote desktop.

I hope I was able to convey the dillema clearly and wish that there is a solution to this.

Edited by Tikky7

Guest tjoris

New guy here.

I followed the steps for setting up a remote connection to my HTC Mogul (Sprint). It works while the phone is Active Sync-ed to the desktop computer, but when I remove the connection I get the following error message:

Cannot connect. Likely reasons are:

1.) Specified computer name or ip does not exist.

2.) A network error occurred while establishing the connection.

I used my computer name as listed on the desktop.

In an attempt to narrow down the cause of the error, I disabled my firewall (COMODO) as well as the windows firewall (just as a precaution). Still the same error.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks in advance.

As an added note: When I am logged off on the desktop I get the same message. Currently, I am able to connect through Active Sync, but not able to log onto windows as it states it couldn't log me on, that I should check my username & password. Which both are correct. Again, shutting down the firewall produces the same message.

Edited by tjoris