T-Mobile Dash wifi and accessing the internet

Guest pf1130

Guest pf1130

Hello to all,

Im interested in purchasing a T-mobile dash but have not been able to find a definitive answer to my question. What I want to know is if it is possible to disable the edge (and all other pay) internet connections on the device and use soley the wifi. I would like to use the device to access the internet and email at home and work via wifi and not incur any internet usage charges. Thanks in advance, I have seen previous posts mentioning this but have not seen a definitive answer.

Guest spacerace

Hi, well you have a couple of options. Firstly, you could disable the radio (flight mode) which would definitely turn off GPRS/EDGE but also prevent you from sending / receiving any phonecalls. The second option would be to remove ALL profiles in the data connections settings, which would prevent the phone from being able to successfully make a GPRS/EDGE connection.

The first option is the more convenient (apart from the lack of phonecalls) as you simply switch the radio on/off as required. The second option is better in that you can still send/receive phonecalls, but deleting and adding the data connection profiles is a pain and not as easy to do, unless you plan on never accessing mobile data?

Hope that helps....

Guest windsorguy13
Hello to all,

Im interested in purchasing a T-mobile dash but have not been able to find a definitive answer to my question. What I want to know is if it is possible to disable the edge (and all other pay) internet connections on the device and use soley the wifi. I would like to use the device to access the internet and email at home and work via wifi and not incur any internet usage charges. Thanks in advance, I have seen previous posts mentioning this but have not seen a definitive answer.

Well, I have a Dash running WM6, so I'm not sure if this works in WM5. In the comm manager, you just disable the Data Connection ("5") and enable the wi-fi ("3") and your phone will work the way you want. I'm doing exactly what you want to do... only synch via wi-fi, I don't have any data connections enabled. Hope that helps!

Well, I have a Dash running WM6, so I'm not sure if this works in WM5. In the comm manager, you just disable the Data Connection ("5") and enable the wi-fi ("3") and your phone will work the way you want. I'm doing exactly what you want to do... only synch via wi-fi, I don't have any data connections enabled. Hope that helps!

Yes, wm5 and wm6 work the same way. You can turn on and off "phone" mode or "wifi" mode. You can also turn both on at the same time or both off at the same time. I always run only one at a time. Kind of a habit now from my old days with Verizon wireless. If you accidently used their "phone" system to access the internet (without a data plan) you were charged for data useage per kb with my pocketpc. Tmobile is different in that respect and is safer if you happen to accidently access data if you do not have a data package.