The official Eten X500+ 'Ask Paul' thread

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest bobmac

Paul - how is the x500+ for one-handed use?

The fact it doesn't have the ok & start buttons like most htc devices - does it make it more difficult to use without a stylus??

Also what about the perceived speed of the x500+? How does the samsung processor cope with all those extra pixels??

Guest Paul (MVP)

I've mapped the start / OK buttons using an app called 'SmartSKey', which maps the soft keys to start / OK on press and hold.

Perceived speed is hard to say as i'm really not using it fully in anger as yet, but you do feel a slight difference in speed over the X500.

P

Guest EricTheViking

Great to find a discussion on this great looking PDA!

Does it support SIP for VoIP?

I read that SIP is supported by Windows Mobile 6, but it's down to the OEM to choose to enable it or not.

If SIP is enabled in the X500+ I'm definately getting one!

Guest major_sarcasm

This seriously looks like a device that I'd be interested in to replace my Qtek 8500. I'm not going to do it until they fix this T-Mobile GPRS issue though :rolleyes:

It does pose the obvious question: How can they bring out a new device with exactly the same problem as the previous model? On the face of it, that appears to be a slap in the face for the consumer.

Guest TheMasterR

Nice looking pda, one question, when will it be available? I can’t find it in any store …

:rolleyes:

Guest JulianL
Clove http://www.clove.co.uk/ is quoting a price for this in UK.

Wow. Look at the price difference! Inc VAT (and at the time of this posting) the X500 is listed at £339.58 and the X500+ at £346.62. That's only a £7.04 premium for the X500+. Surely this indicates that the X500 price will drop a fair bit as soon as the X500+ starts shipping.

- Julian

Guest Somer-sky

So, I am new to this, and not quite as geek friendly as some of you, but I do have questions relating to the X500+...so any help would be appreciated...

1-Where can I possibly see/touch/feel this phone in the usa, particularly nyc?

2-I assum from other threads that I should not have an issue with the T-Mobile thing? Will this affect me when travelling across the pond which I do every 3 months or so?

3-Do I care that's it's not 3G?

4-Do I even know what that means exactly?

5-what is the main diff between the + version and the other?

Thanks!

Guest Paul (MVP)

1. Unknown

2. Correct

3. Probably not!

4. You tell me? It means you can't get 3G data, but only CingularT&T in the US really offers this so far.

5. The VGA screen.

P

Guest Kuya

1. How is the volume when actually using the device as a phone? Many reviews of the x500 claimed its greatest shortcoming was how quiet the volume was.

2. Can the phone play larger resolution video files with out compressing them to 480x640 format? ie. Can the phone play a .avi file with resolution of 500x700?

Thanks for making this thread Paul,

-Kuya

Edited by Kuya

• 3 weeks later...
Guest bobmac
Why isnt this friggin phone 3g!!!!!!

Sorry was getting confused with the x800+

Hi Paul

No more comments from you on the x500+!!

Is there still a review coming? And whatabout the t-mobile gprs issue?

I'm sure they are quite a few of us would love to see you give this device your usual 'honest' treatment!!

:)

Guest bobmac
A review will come WHEN they fix the GPRS issue.

I say WHEN rather than IF but... :)

P

thanks for that.

You don't sound hopeful.

I have this device on pre-order and hope it will come in the next 2-3weeks.

As I use t-mobile have you any advice? Better to hold back?

I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
Guest mrlease

Paul,

It is now July 10th and the X500+ has just been released in the US.

May I ask where you bought yours and the price?

mrlease

• 1 month later...
Guest parsley

It turns out apparently the htc polaris will have a 2.8" qvga screen after all, so after thinking "I'd really like a gps but don't want to buy a standalone and then a phone / pda" I bought an x500+. I got it from expansys, though clove also show stock and there are probably others too. So far it's taking some time to suss out compared to the Palm I had before, but WM6 looks more capable. The screen is lovely, though I wish it was even bigger... GPRS works fine on Orange - just put my SIM in and it magically was there. There's lots more at http://eten-users.eu/

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kevinyvette
Great to find a discussion on this great looking PDA!

Does it support SIP for VoIP?

I read that SIP is supported by Windows Mobile 6, but it's down to the OEM to choose to enable it or not.

If SIP is enabled in the X500+ I'm definately getting one!

try fring skype works on it

Guest ImperfectSense

Ok, I've got a few questions about E-ten's Glofiish products (x500, x500+, m700), so here goes (and anyone who has any of these products pls feel free to answer the questions you feel qualified to speak on):

all - can wm6 run all games that are designed for wm2003? any compatability issues?

all - can they connect to more than one bluetooth device at a time?

all - have they corrected the bugs regarding fm radio stations and lat/long numbers being off by a few digits that I've seen mentioned in some early reviews?

all - is the d-pad being so close to the edge a comfort issue for you?

x500/x500+ - does the d-pad allow for diagonal movement? aka how good is it for games?

x500+ - does the vga screen show qvga games at "full-screen"? is it compatible with old qvga games that don't support vga devices?

m700 - does the d-pad allow for diagonal movement? aka how good is it for games?

m700 - looks like the edges of the phone are raised, are they, and if so doesn't that make holding and using it more uncomfortable?

Does anyone know of any plans to make an x500+ with sliding keyboard and maybe a faster proc or dedicated video chip? *drools* ;)

Thanks!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.