Enable HSDPA?

Guest shandy1948

Guest shandy1948

My old M3100 was just swapped for a new one by Orange (due to a faulty keyboard). The new one includes the new firmware, which, according to this thread, enables HSDPA on the device.

So, how do I get it to use HSDPA?

Guest crazyc
My old M3100 was just swapped for a new one by Orange (due to a faulty keyboard). The new one includes the new firmware, which, according to this thread, enables HSDPA on the device.

So, how do I get it to use HSDPA?

If the HSDPA is enabled then:

When you download data and are in an HSDPA area then it should show an H rather than a 3G. (Note - only when you are actually downloading)

Guest shandy1948

I live and work in London, so I assume I'm in an HSDPA area. The 'H' logo is not appearing. Is there a setting I need to adjust?

Edited by shandy1948

Guest The Doctor
I live and work in London, so I assume I'm in an HSDPA area. The 'H' logo is not appearing. Is there a setting I need to adjust?

First off, your protocol version must end in H. You can check this by going: Start > Settings > System > Device Information

Then download the attached file, unzip, and then copy to somewhere on your phone. Then run Enable HSDPA, which must be in the same folder as SetHSDPA.exe

The soft reset your device and your done :rolleyes:

Phil

Enable_HSDPA.zip

Guest Jan the man
First off, your protocol version must end in H. You can check this by going: Start > Settings > System > Device Information

Then download the attached file, unzip, and then copy to somewhere on your phone. Then run Enable HSDPA, which must be in the same folder as SetHSDPA.exe

Phil

I've unzipped the file and put it on my phone but I cant run it..... any help??

Guest The Doctor
I've unzipped the file and put it on my phone but I cant run it..... any help??

It will appear to do nothing but will actually enable HSDPA...

Phil

Guest spacerace
It will appear to do nothing but will actually enable HSDPA...

Phil

I did this a week or so ago on my Vodafone v1605. It does look like it's done nothing, then you soft reset. First 'boot' back and it just sat there with a white screen and I though "uh oh" but then I did a soft reset again, and it came back into WM fine. Next time I went out it suddenly went to showing an 'H' for connectivity when receiving a push email, and I realised it had worked! (Never seen the H before and was driving the same route). I then did a speed test and got the H and a result of 1.3MBs download! very happy!

Guest spacerace
Has it had any perceptible effect on battery life?

No, I'venot noticed any significant change in battery life. As already mentioned, the phone still sits in 3G mode and only goes to HSDPA when actually sending/receiving data so the amount of time spent in H mode is minimal, subject to how often you get an email pushed I guess. Obviously if you did a long browsing session in an HSDPA area this might make a difference, but my browsing periods are short, say 90% email 10% browsing in an average day. Also I do not use the phone for ANY voice calls, but that wouldn't change the relative battery times I see.

Guest jss42
If the HSDPA is enabled then:

When you download data and are in an HSDPA area then it should show an H rather than a 3G. (Note - only when you are actually downloading)

Do T-Mobile users also get the 'H'. I've never had that symbol but at times my download speed seems fine (maybe there's fine and FINE and I just don't know it)

Does the application mentioned in this thread work for T-Mobile users?

Thanks

Guest Jan the man

Still doesnt work for me...

I tap on the enable file with the pen but nothing happens.. there is no option or anyhitng to run it... I've tried to sort start it etc but its still not working.

Sorry to be pain, i'm a noob on these phones.

Guest spacerace
Still doesnt work for me...

I tap on the enable file with the pen but nothing happens.. there is no option or anyhitng to run it... I've tried to sort start it etc but its still not working.

Sorry to be pain, i'm a noob on these phones.

as the instructions state, extract both files to the same directory. double click the .lnk file, and then wait a few minutes and perform a soft reset, there is no screen confirmation or prompt. you won't notice any difference until you have an active data connection in an HSDPA enabled transmitter area, at which point the icon should change from '3G' to 'H'.

Guest jimbouk

There are some tweak programs out there (such as one called HTweakC) that will enable HSDPA for you. I won't link to them but feel free to go google for them... basically some people have created smart little apps that allow users to select hacks and OS tweaks simply from a list and the app makes the necessary changes for you.

Guest The Doctor
There are some tweak programs out there (such as one called HTweakC) that will enable HSDPA for you. I won't link to them but feel free to go google for them... basically some people have created smart little apps that allow users to select hacks and OS tweaks simply from a list and the app makes the necessary changes for you.

There's also a rather good one called HTCustom :rolleyes:

Phil

Guest TheEvo?

The soft reset your device and your done :P

Phil

HI

Ive downloaded the file and unzipped it, do you use one file or both and were is the best place for them on the phone.

Guest The Doctor
Do T-Mobile users also get the 'H'. I've never had that symbol but at times my download speed seems fine (maybe there's fine and FINE and I just don't know it)

Does the application mentioned in this thread work for T-Mobile users?

Thanks

If you have the standard T-Mobile ROM, you won't get the HSDPA icon, but you will actually be using HSSDPA. Only the later AKU3.X/WM6 updates have the H icon.

The application is run right after you turn the device on for the first time, when it installs all the customisations etc.

@TheEvo? - Just unzip and tap Enable HSDPA, you won't notice anything happening but it will enable HSDPA on your device, soft reset after 2-3 minutes

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

Phil

Hi. Bit confused with this issue. I have checked the protocol vesion and it ends with "H". I have one of the first M3100s from orange. What would be the difference if I downloaded the new M3100 rom? Would that mean I wouldnt have to add your attatched file or anything similar? Also wondering if there was any point as I dont live in London. I cant find anything about HSDPA coverage on orange website so just wondering if it has rolled out accross the rest of the country yet. Cheers.

Guest jimbouk
Hi. Bit confused with this issue. I have checked the protocol vesion and it ends with "H". I have one of the first M3100s from orange. What would be the difference if I downloaded the new M3100 rom? Would that mean I wouldnt have to add your attatched file or anything similar? Also wondering if there was any point as I dont live in London. I cant find anything about HSDPA coverage on orange website so just wondering if it has rolled out accross the rest of the country yet. Cheers.

Firstly if you really do have one of the original orange m3100's ie last september like mine, it will have the 1.60 radio rom which won't do HSDPA as it is. Download the later rom and then enable HSPDPA as discussed here.

I get H in and around London (North Surrey up to South Herts) and in Manchester. I believe they are starting with "top 5 cities" so assume thats London, Manchester, Birmingham, Glasgow/Edinburgh, and maybe Leeds/Sheffield etc?

Firstly if you really do have one of the original orange m3100's ie last september like mine, it will have the 1.60 radio rom which won't do HSDPA as it is. Download the later rom and then enable HSPDPA as discussed here.

I get H in and around London (North Surrey up to South Herts) and in Manchester. I believe they are starting with "top 5 cities" so assume thats London, Manchester, Birmingham, Glasgow/Edinburgh, and maybe Leeds/Sheffield etc?

Yep, one of the originals. checked radio rom and its 1.06.

Just to be clear, I should download the latest rom version from orange and STILL have to add tweak file as discussed in this thread? Blimey.

Im in Cardiff which may not be a "top uk city"! Having said that, they were very quick to get excellent 3G coverage here when it started so you never know...

Thanks.

Guest UMTSBOI

Dont forget newcastle in the list on enabled cities :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Metal_Mickey

Hi All,

Hopefully you guys can clear something up. The specs for my T-Mobile Vario II, which was bought when they first came out last year, is as follows.

ROM Version: 1.21.110.3

ROM Date: 06/19/06

Radio Version: 1.05.05.00

Protocol Version: 32.36.7010.04H

From this thread I can see that as I am using the original T-Mobile ROM, although I am connected via HSDPA (i'm in London with the WnW Pro package) I won't see a 'H' displayed at the top of the phone. However my radio version also seems to be prior to the 1.60 (did the author mean 1.06 ?) version, which according to this thread doesn't support HSDPA.

So am I likely to be using HSDPA or not ? Or is it the case that the abilities of the various radio versions are operator dependent and you can't compare them on version number alone ?

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Well after flashing to a WM6 and the 1.50 radio I now receive hsdpa when I'm at work in north Leeds (LS17) just got home and there doesnt seam to be any here yet :) (LS6)

Guest jchamier
So am I likely to be using HSDPA or not ?

Yes, you can get HSDPA performance, just no indication that is in use (only the 3G logo). For example I can get (sometimes) over 1mpbs on the www.dslreports.com/mspeed tester.

The protocol version has an H on the end, and I've read this is for HSDPA, but I can't remember where I read it.

Guest UndeadDevil
Radio Version: 1.05.05.00

Protocol Version: 32.36.7010.04H

From this thread I can see that as I am using the original T-Mobile ROM, although I am connected via HSDPA (i'm in London with the WnW Pro package) I won't see a 'H' displayed at the top of the phone. However my radio version also seems to be prior to the 1.60 (did the author mean 1.06 ?) version, which according to this thread doesn't support HSDPA.

When I got my MDA Vario II it had the same Radio Version. I never got any Indication it was using HSDPA nor any speeds to reflect HSDPA (Maxinum I got was 20kb/s!!!) Once I flashed it to 1.43 and updated to Windows Mobile 6 I was suddenly getting 1.3mbps!

I suggest you do the same, Windows Mobile 6 is a huge improvment from Windows Mobile 5 and the Radio Update solved so many issues. It improved my signal alot making calls crisp and clear.

Your protocol version does indicate it supports HDSPA just like mine did, but because its so old I think it does not realiably support it.

jchamier: I'm pretty sure that test is a Image Based Test which will never be accurate because of T-Mobiles Transparent Image Proxy, Install Flash 7 and use Speedtest.net or use your PC/Laptop to the test the true speed from speeedtest.net!

Guest Confucious

Wow! I'm glad I didn't know this before...

No problem getting HSDPA in mid sussex and woking.

My main icon reads 3G instead of H until I connect (T-Mobile Ameo on WM6) and, apart from the odd blackspot usually when I'm on the train, the whole of the SE of England seams to be HSDPA enabled, not sure of the rest of the country but certainly in the SE it's not restricted to cities!

Or maybe it is and I just haven't realised.... :)