WM 6 is horrid...

Guest snowman5373

Guest snowman5373

At least for surfing the net on the Dash. I use it to mainly surf the net since work is always slow. When the Dash goes into standby mode the IE page you were viewing gets reset back to the crappy homepage. It did not do this with WM5. Another quick one, without having to write a book here, in IE it displays more graphics from a webpage, ok cool, but now the ability is gone to click on certain things in the page that were once there with WM 5.

Guest dropofdreams

I was totally excited about the release of WM6 myself and installed it several days before the actual launch. However, within a week of its release I had already downgraded back to WM5 as I have found it to meet functional ends for the majority of what I use it for. Personally, WM6 looks a lot prettier but that's all it impresses me with at the moment.

I upgraded yesterday to WM6 and several issues as well. Most of the problems are with media player 10 and IE also. I spend a lot of time at home watching streaming video over my wireless link.

Issue1: media player full screen mode is 90 degrees off and is not optimized for the landscape display on the dash. This can be fixed by editing the registry and adding a new HKey. That took 4 hours to figure out.

Issue2: bitrate speeds with WM6 are 10 times less (on average) than with my wm5 version dash. This means all the streaming video is very choppy. This was one of the good things about wm5 and the dash is you could watch streaming video on the go. I have not figured out a resolution as yet. I have an HTC pocketpc with wm5 and it can run side by side with my htc excalibur (dash) and it runs 10 times faster bit rate off the same wireless link (same time) and video looks great. No lag between audio and video. So, what changed??? Video running off the memory card runs fine.

Issue3: websites are now difficult to view with the way IE interprets and displays the content. You have to constantly move left and right to view information. Not as optimized as wm5 was. Also noticed that google search page recognizes my Dash as a dopod 610. When I had wm5 on my dash google recognized it correctly as dash.

Issue4: when you put the dash down and it powers off after timeout it gives off a beep. Still trying to figure out where the adjustment is for that annoying beep.

Anyway, have not tried many of the other functions just the ones I can't live without. If anyone has workarounds for the second two problems pass them on. I fixed the full screen video problem after discovering a work around from a purported microsoft engineer - it did work however.

I love the windows live search feature. Lots of good information, traffic and maps. Time will tell how accurate it is though.

Overall, wm6 looks and feels okay. Probably should have waited for the next revised software update instead of taking the plunge.

Guest Pagemakers

Personally I like WM6.

I like the HTML email, Live stuff, delete button on inbox. WM6 however is not as radical as I was expecting.

IE views could be better and tabbed browsing should have been introduced and they should have returned the option to sync contact categories again.

The beep you talk above above when the wi-fi goes into standby is indeed a pain in the but. Any ideas how to turn it off?

Edited by Pagemakers

Update: I fixed the choppy video by changing a setting in the windows media player network options page and it now works great with high bit rates. Got rid of the annoying beep when wifi turns off (thanks to pagemakers clue) by adjusting power save feature. Three of four figured out.

Overall wm6 is looking better all the time.

how did you get rid of the wifi beep?

Under wifi settings - 5. power mode, then unchecked the "Auto turn off WLAN if no WLAN or user activities ...". The tradeoff is obviously uses more power since stays connected to WIFI. For me this is okay for my use. But the beep is now gone. Its a good tradeoff for me.

Guest Dash7

After upgrading to 6 I find that my memory gets eaten up and I cant get it back untill I turn off the dang thing. What a pain!

I found that it seems much slower to browse the internet too.

Has anyone else had issuew with the memory?

Thanks

Guest Pagemakers

Yup my Dash has occasional memory problems too requiring a re-boot of the phone. I guess there is a memory leak somewhere :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest snowman5373

Well, for those who use it to surf the net as much as I do, Opera beta 8.65 for Smartphones works great compared to PIE. Tmobile needs to reconfigure WM6 in general for the Dash, it just eats up to much memory.