WM6 Upgrade question

Hi all,

I am considering updating my Vario II to the new Black Dymond 3.5 ROM and have a question before I take the plunge.

On the standard T-Mob ROM, when using WIFI, only the TKIP encryption method is supported when using WPA-PSK. Can anyone tell me if the WM6 ROMs add support for AES? It would certainly be good news if it did as I would then be able to stop weakening security on my router just to allow my phone to connect! :rolleyes:

It does indeed support AES, Aswell as WPA2.

Excellent! Thanks for the quick reply...now to start playing and, fingers crossed, not brick my phone! :rolleyes:

Guest touficjohn

How easy and safe is it to upgrade? I wouldnt know the first thing about "un-bricking" the phone....

I'm just used to frying servers and routers....

Guest UndeadDevil
Excellent! Thanks for the quick reply...now to start playing and, fingers crossed, not brick my phone! :rolleyes:

Its very unlikly if you use HardSPL. Just follow MrVanxs guides.

Guest matho

Authentication & Encryption standards supported in Black 3.5 Dymond:

Open: Disabled, WEP

Shared: Disabled, WEP

WPA: TKIP, AES

WPA-PSK: TKIP, AES

WPA2: TKIP, AES

WPA2-PSK: TKIP, AES

I haven't tested all of these set-ups, so can't confirm if they work or not.

Guest UndeadDevil
Radio Version: 1.03.06.00

Why are you still using such a old radio version. Thats the exact version I had on my phone, it was awfull! Call quality was really bad, HSDPA half worked, only went upto 50kb/s (Now gets about 140kb/s in the exact same place on the desk)

Guest patp
Why are you still using such a old radio version. Thats the exact version I had on my phone, it was awfull! Call quality was really bad, HSDPA half worked, only went upto 50kb/s (Now gets about 140kb/s in the exact same place on the desk)

What version are you using? I'm cautious about upgrading the radio as the more recent ones can't be downgraded in the case of needing warranty support.

Guest burnsnet

Is there a guide on how to move my T-Mob WM5 to WM6? If so could somebody PM me and put me on the right route?

Is it worth doing or is the concensus to wait for the Official T-Mob ROM if and when its released - does anybody know?

Thanks

Burnsnet :rolleyes:

Guest UndeadDevil
What version are you using? I'm cautious about upgrading the radio as the more recent ones can't be downgraded in the case of needing warranty support.

1.41 now, best for T-Mob from what I've read. Best for Orange is 1.38.

Is there a guide on how to move my T-Mob WM5 to WM6? If so could somebody PM me and put me on the right route?

Is it worth doing or is the concensus to wait for the Official T-Mob ROM if and when its released - does anybody know?

There are no specific guides for T-Mob, would be kinda stupid to have a specific guide with the exact same insturctions would it...

Yes its worth doing if you don't mind Voiding your Warranty (Basicly if your phone starts to badword up you'll have to badword it even more to get a replacement)

T-Mobile will release the upgrade in the next few months if there going to.

If you want to upgrade just follow Mr Vanx's guides.

Edited by UndeadDevil

Guest burnsnet
If you want to upgrade just follow Mr Vanx's guides.

Thanks... where do I get Mr Vanx's guide from?

Guest johnwin

Has anyone upgraded a uk t-mobile vario II using this? I'm about to get a brand new one in the next few weeks and would love to know if I can just install this and not break all the phone and data settings that t-mobile pre-load.

TIA

Guest johnwin
Thanks... where do I get Mr Vanx's guide from?

Go to the wmblack - the link is in the 'how do I go black' section

Guest UndeadDevil
Has anyone upgraded a uk t-mobile vario II using this? I'm about to get a brand new one in the next few weeks and would love to know if I can just install this and not break all the phone and data settings that t-mobile pre-load.

Yes you will lose all the GPRS, MMS settings. You can download a .cab file to re-install them or enter them maunaully after. You'll also lose all your contacts, text messeges, etc unless you back them up.

I upgraded my Vario II last week and since have not encourtered even one crash with the phone. Its alot faster in every way as well.

Guest johnwin
Yes you will lose all the GPRS, MMS settings. You can download a .cab file to re-install them or enter them maunaully after. You'll also lose all your contacts, text messeges, etc unless you back them up.

I upgraded my Vario II last week and since have not encourtered even one crash with the phone. Its alot faster in every way as well.

Thanks UndeadDevil - I knew that all my data would be erased I'm just very wary of loosing all my calling and data info.

Where would I find the .cab or a full list of all the correct voice and data settings? TIA