Which provider (UK) for the Vox?

Guest gbshahaq

Guest gbshahaq

i've decided that I want to replace my (now croaking) C600 with one of these beauties.

However - too many options!

I don't actually use my phone that much, and have been PAYG for 2-3 yrs now - but would be willing to take a 12mth contract to take one of these.

Currently, the best I've seen (discounting cashback incentives) is £30 for the phone, on a £20 per month Orange contract. Thing is - will it be a cinch to unlock this when I come to the end of my contract, so I'm then free to use any other PAYG?

or are there better alternatives with other providers? I like the "standard" HTC offering, rather than the Orange or Vodafone flavoured varieties - or should I just bite the bullet and buy one sim-free for around £250?

recommendations please!

sham

Guest colonel_butt
i've decided that I want to replace my (now croaking) C600 with one of these beauties.

However - too many options!

I don't actually use my phone that much, and have been PAYG for 2-3 yrs now - but would be willing to take a 12mth contract to take one of these.

Currently, the best I've seen (discounting cashback incentives) is £30 for the phone, on a £20 per month Orange contract. Thing is - will it be a cinch to unlock this when I come to the end of my contract, so I'm then free to use any other PAYG?

or are there better alternatives with other providers? I like the "standard" HTC offering, rather than the Orange or Vodafone flavoured varieties - or should I just bite the bullet and buy one sim-free for around £250?

recommendations please!

sham

1. check out the deals on modaco

2. buy sim free and buy one of the 12m SIM-only 150 mins per month FREE deals that are doing the rounds on the web

rgds

Guest gbshahaq

thanks for the advice fellas - (never noticed modaco had a shop :rolleyes: )

also found out Vodafone do the same deal as Orange...

I'm a little bit skeptical about these cash-back deals - ever any problem? it just sounds too good to be true! my PAYG bills are rarely over a tenner, so the cheaper the contract, the better!

I also assume that the different variants:

Orange E650/Voda 1415/HTC S710

are exactly the same underneath?

walked into a shop on tottenham ct road today - offered HTC phone for 290.

just seen it @ Mobile Fun for 265 - http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/product/13352.htm - anyone find it better than that?

i'm still undecided which path to tread - easier isn't always best, but it's still hard to fork out 250+ for a friggin phone....

Guest colonel_butt

I'm a little bit skeptical about these cash-back deals - ever any problem? it just sounds too good to be true! my PAYG bills are rarely over a tenner, so the cheaper the contract, the better!

just seen it @ Mobile Fun for 265 - http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/product/13352.htm - anyone find it better than that?

i'm still undecided which path to tread - easier isn't always best, but it's still hard to fork out 250+ for a friggin phone....

i bought mine at handtec.co.uk for 250

the orange variant has SIP and windows live and msn messenger removed.

don't know about vodafone but they removed SIP from Nokia N95 so don't trust them any more.

HTC is the only guarantee of getting the genuine article.

Guest gbshahaq
i bought mine at handtec.co.uk for 250

the orange variant has SIP and windows live and msn messenger removed.

don't know about vodafone but they removed SIP from Nokia N95 so don't trust them any more.

HTC is the only guarantee of getting the genuine article.

thanks colonel!!

that's a great price, and good advice. I presume that even if you restore the software (for Orange variant), it won't run on that network?

Guest colonel_butt
thanks colonel!!

that's a great price, and good advice. I presume that even if you restore the software (for Orange variant), it won't run on that network?

You can buy the Orange E650 and put the HTC firmware on it, however:

1. This gets rid of your orange guarantee. unless you can save the orange firmware first and restore it later if need be

2. firmware is possible to find on the internet but difficult due to MS clamping down. Also you need to CID your phone and unlock the registry to do that. Basically its possible but you need the time and the patience. Its a hassle.

You could buy from orange and install windows live. I have seen some cab files knocking around that enable it. You will have to app. unlock as well. again you can find out how to do that by searching modaco.

In the first place the HTC phone will run on any network. HTC also have a utility available for download from their website which will install most european provider's GSM settings. Worked fine for me on O2 and probably will work fine for Orange. If you buy the E650 you could also use another provider's SIM, but will need to buy the SIM unlock code from Orange (£20) and also use the app. unlock facility before usage.

Orange is probably the cheapest deal if you need a new voice contract as well.

For me, £250 was simply the price of the 'no hassle' option.

Plus I get a buzz when people I show the phone to say "great phone, but I've never heard of HTC before" and I can tell them its the biggest smartphone co. in the world :-)

Edited by colonel_butt

Guest gbshahaq

i'm at ease with app unlocking it, and installing messenger myself (and other apps) - that's worked out just peachy with my C600 which was with Orange, currently with a Virgin SIM (unlocked it myself from an app on orange developers' site.

i don't have the cash right now - so i'm likely to opt for a deal thru modaco shop to get the E650.

appreciate all the advice - and armed with that, i can make a fully informed choice! :-)

sham

Guest conan_troutman

I always try buy the manufacturers variant which is usually the best way to ensure you get all working functions.

as for mobilefun I use them loads and they are defo reliable and trustworthy

Guest gbshahaq
I always try buy the manufacturers variant which is usually the best way to ensure you get all working functions.

as for mobilefun I use them loads and they are defo reliable and trustworthy

i just got an E650 from Orange - kind of wishing I'd paid out for an HTC, but a free phone on 12 mth contract, costing £210 was a no-brainer.

I just hope that as time goes by, the problems with the Orange ROM will be sorted and I can CID/app/SIM unlock for free after contract end (like i did with the C600)

thanks for all the advice - which i ignored. :rolleyes:

Guest Hardz
i just got an E650 from Orange - kind of wishing I'd paid out for an HTC, but a free phone on 12 mth contract, costing £210 was a no-brainer.

I just hope that as time goes by, the problems with the Orange ROM will be sorted and I can CID/app/SIM unlock for free after contract end (like i did with the C600)

thanks for all the advice - which i ignored. :rolleyes:

I thought CID/app/SIM unlock can be done now....can't it ?

Guest 17-APG

Try the following

http://www.handtec.co.uk/product.php?xProd=601

Handtec sell for approx £250.00. I saw another site yesterday that sold the S710 for £260.00 and included a free 1 gig micro card. I will post site here if I can find it again. Hey and expansys are selling them for over £300.00 ???? What's that all about I wonder...

Guest 17-APG

[/quote

]This is the site with the free 1 gig microSd card.....

http://www.pdas4u.co.uk/shop/product_info..../products_id/80