Orange discontinues 'SPV' brand

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

Today is a sad day indeed!

With the announcement of the Orange HTC Touch, Orange have confirmed that the SPV line of devices, that was conceived to encompass our beloved Smartphones, is no more.

:rolleyes:

Future SPV type devices will be marketed under the HTC name, with HTC's retail brand now taking the same status enjoyed by other manufacturers such as Nokia, Sony Ericsson etc.

R.I.P. SPV, welcome HTC! We feel like we know you already :P

P

Guest The Doctor
Today is a sad day indeed!

With the announcement of the Orange HTC Touch, Orange have confirmed that the SPV line of devices, that was conceived to encompass our beloved Smartphones, is no more.

:rolleyes:

Future SPV type devices will be marketed under the HTC name, with HTC's retail brand now taking the same status enjoyed by other manufacturers such as Nokia, Sony Ericsson etc.

R.I.P. SPV, welcome HTC! We feel like we know you already :P

P

Reckon this is also the end of all the orange branded crap in the ROMs too? :D

Phil

Guest Monolithix (MVP)
Reckon this is also the end of all the orange branded crap in the ROMs too? :rolleyes:

Phil

Er....no, look at any Orange dumb phone, they all have the horrible icons :P

Guest spider

May it rest in peace...

Still recall my first SPV...just named, well SPV....still had one of the nicest looking call/hang up and Dpad I think..though it did more or less damaged the thump, due to the hard to press issue they had...but still they looked gooood IMHO..and boy did people look because of the, at that time, huge display and bright colours and features (despite some of the flaws, we all learned to live with)....I miss the good old times :rolleyes: sniff

Guest MitchellO

I think it is great that HTC are finally getting their name out there. They have created some great devices over the years, and having them named HTC might reduces some of the model name confusion :rolleyes:

Guest magic_peanuts
I said to Mono at the event yesterday when they showed the picture of a canary, how nice it still looked!

P

canary.JPG

Sorry

Guest Ron Jeremy
Reckon this is also the end of all the orange branded crap in the ROMs too? :rolleyes:

Phil

I'm pretty sure the Orange branded content is going to remain a feature regardless of the name change

Guest Thumper Net

The only problem i see is the price of the phones going up , under the spv name they were cheaper than the htc versions which is the sad reason i got the orange version of the vox ( should have paid the extra 100 euros ) :rolleyes: now if only t-mobile will drop their stupid pink colours ect and also bring out htc phones untouched then we are all winners :P

Guest Ovie

I still have my Canary and was using it just 3 or 4 months ago! It was only when I destroyed the battery charger that I had an excuse for getting a new phone.

Guest sxywill2005

Ah lets hope that this also means an end to slow release dates, so more are pushed out on us!

Remember when the M3000 was not on Orange UK! Well hopefully this means an end of operators having a tighter grip on HTC product releases.

I doubt we will see an end to unbranded ROMs.

T-Mobile's MDA range needs to have some decent WM smartphones, but I now want a Kaiser, roll on Kaiser!!!

Guest kevinsephiroth

I hope the prices won't rise though... I prefere buy a cheaper orange version then unbrand it via rom upgrade , or customizing icons, than paying 100 extra bucks for an unbranded one. :rolleyes:

Guest Monolithix (MVP)
I said to Mono at the event yesterday when they showed the picture of a canary, how nice it still looked!

P

Wish i still had my SPV, found an old Tanager the other day, still looks good considering its age!

Guest Thumper Net

Ive still got a few older ones , spv x2 , spv e200 , spv c500 , spv c550 , spv c600 and the spv e650 :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest barrybryce

It makes you feel old when so many things from the past that we cherished have disappeared; the SPV name, the UK based CS staff that understand regional accents, the good customer service, ...

Edited by barrybryce

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.