Problem with WiFi. static IP & DNS

Guest djrekcv

Guest djrekcv

Hi,

I've been able to set a custom IP and gateway for WiFi connection (in a HTC S710), but I haven't been able to set the DNS servers, thus making surfing impossible. Does anybody know if there's any way of setting the DNS?

Thanks a lot.

PS. By the way, I've set the ip via Wi-Fi connection state, the windows in which current wifi connection info is shown (ssid, mac, ip....)

Edited by djrekcv

Guest SteveMW
Hi,

I've been able to set a custom IP and gateway for WiFi connection (in a HTC S710), but I haven't been able to set the DNS servers, thus making surfing impossible. Does anybody know if there's any way of setting the DNS?

Thanks a lot.

PS. By the way, I've set the ip via Wi-Fi connection state, the windows in which current wifi connection info is shown (ssid, mac, ip....)

I had the same problem using WiFi. It seems that the Dash is not designed to have a static IP set on the device itself. So you need to configure a DHCP server on the network hosting the IP you want to use.

1. Create a scope that includes the IP you want to allocate to the Dash (the scope could have a range of one IP address).

2. Create a reservation for the specific IP you want for your device (using the device name found at the following registry key on the Dash: HKLM\Ident\Name).

3. Configure the reserved IP with the necessary client options (you need at least the following records set: 003 Router, 006 DNS servers, 015 DNS name).

Then you will be set to go.

Edited by SteveMW

Guest GarFie
Hi,

(...)

I've asked HTC Support about it a week ago. This is the answer I received:

"Unfortunately, it is not possible to configure DNS address on HTC S710 as it simply does not have that option. You may configure IP address Gateway and Subnet Mask as you may have discovered yourself already. There might be however a third party application for HTC S710 called something like Wi-Fi manager or wireless manager for windows Mobile devices. That kind of software usually have some additional settings (like DNS address setup). Unfortunately, we cannot advise you anything as we do not support third party applications."

In other words, DHCP is the only solution for now.

PS Please let me know, if You find a 3rd party wi-fi manager. TIA. :rolleyes:

Edited by GarFie