Wing users - give me your feedback!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

So i've just got my T-Mobile Wing, i'm interested to hear from other users...

- Good points of the device

- Bad points of the device

- Top tips

Ta! :rolleyes:

P

Guest genaldar

I like the the feel of the device. Size, weight, shape and texture are all nice. Windows Mobile 6 is also a nice upgrade to 5. Not earth shattering but nice. Decent battery life too.

The proc kind of sucks. The amount of available ram totally sucks.

Do a hard reset and stop the customizations from installing. It really helps with the ram issue. Then use memaid and stop myfaves and other crap from starting.

Guest Paul (MVP)

Proc doesn't feel too bad for me, might have a play at ramping it up to 240MHz too.

Agreed on memory, i'm going to have a play and see what I can work out to improve that situation :rolleyes:

P

Guest snowman5373
Proc doesn't feel too bad for me, might have a play at ramping it up to 240MHz too.

Agreed on memory, i'm going to have a play and see what I can work out to improve that situation :)

P

Does the wing happen to be a little more powerful than the Dash? Surfing the net with WM6 on the dash is horrible. I can tell WM6 just might be to much. Is the Wing technicaly a PPC? Thanks.

Edited by snowman5373

Guest Gentmab

so far my only problem is minor compatibility issues real minor, and the ram available for u, im using pocket hack master to overclock it and it helps some but the most ram I can get free is 16-17 mb, other than that I enjoy wm6 here better than my dash

Guest wayne2

I went ahead and moved my voice command out of the start up to see how much more RAM I could free up, and then I did a soft reset. Now the RAM memory seems to leak faster than before. Then when I went back to to the startup folder voice command was back. Should I not have done the soft reset? Would that reset caused my page pool revert back to 12MB? What's the right way to remove voice command? Help...

Guest genaldar
I went ahead and moved my voice command out of the start up to see how much more RAM I could free up, and then I did a soft reset. Now the RAM memory seems to leak faster than before. Then when I went back to to the startup folder voice command was back. Should I not have done the soft reset? Would that reset caused my page pool revert back to 12MB? What's the right way to remove voice command? Help...

If you change the pagepool size it won't change back after a reset. You've changed the rom itself and made the new pagepool the default.

Guest v104b
Do a hard reset and stop the customizations from installing. It really helps with the ram issue. Then use memaid and stop myfaves and other crap from starting.

How would I go about doing that? Would stopping myfaves from installing still let the myfaves service works as it should? Meaning, I don't need the app itself because I never change the numbers and I can also do it online, but would removing it cause the minutes to be charged for the people I call?

Guest genaldar
How would I go about doing that? Would stopping myfaves from installing still let the myfaves service works as it should? Meaning, I don't need the app itself because I never change the numbers and I can also do it online, but would removing it cause the minutes to be charged for the people I call?

It will still work, you'll just have to make any changes to your 5 online.

When you do a hard reset after you set up your screen a dialog saying something along the lines of customization will begin in 3 seconds. It then counts down and when its done it installs winwap, my faves, the homescreen plugin, etc. In order to stop it all you have to do is take out the battery before it reaches 0. You should have the back already off so you can do it faster.

Guest v104b

Well i tried that, but it didn't seem to work for me. I tried three times, twice taking the battery out and once doing a soft reset during the coutdown. All 3 times, myFaves would be installed and show up on the Today screen. One thing I did notice is that a message box came up before the customization screen saying "myFaves display is ON." Does this mean that the myFaves components are installed before the customization step?

Please let me know if I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks.

EDIT: Also, the phone dialer still has the T-Mobile background (which I hate and cannot get rid of, even with custom dialer themes).

Edited by v104b

Guest genaldar
Well i tried that, but it didn't seem to work for me. I tried three times, twice taking the battery out and once doing a soft reset during the coutdown. All 3 times, myFaves would be installed and show up on the Today screen. One thing I did notice is that a message box came up before the customization screen saying "myFaves display is ON." Does this mean that the myFaves components are installed before the customization step?

Please let me know if I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks.

EDIT: Also, the phone dialer still has the T-Mobile background (which I hate and cannot get rid of, even with custom dialer themes).

Even if you stop it from installing the default load includes a couple of startup things that are myfaves related, they must check to see if you have it on your account and when it sees that you do it installs it from the ext rom. You could try hard reset, stop customization, boot without sim, disable startup program and services (you'd have to install memmaid or something similar) and then turn it off and insert your sim.

The dialing background, and the homescreen, winwap, tray applets, boot screen, etc. are all "default" for the rom even without customization. I'm not sure why you can't change that background though (to be honest I never tried).

Edited by genaldar

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dkb218

Hello Everyone!

Okay - I like the Wing. Not much of an upgrade over the MDA. WM6 still requires tweaking. My number one problem now is MMS picture size.

I share a lot of photos with my family and friends. When I send out a pic they get it the way I sent it. However, when I get a photo, it's the size of a postage stamp. No matter the size, somewhere {T-Mobile claims it's no them} its reformatted to this tiny little "what the heck is that" size picture.

This is a well know issue with the T-Mobile Wing. Not one fix for it as of yet.

Guest Gentmab

i have tried pocket hack master to overclock the system but it continuously crashed when an application or well certain apps would start. like if i used finalburn, pocketsnes, pocketnesterplus, picodrive, any of those, pocket hack would crash soon as I left the program, it did well on overclocking but I'm wonderin if xcpuscalar works better..any ideas?

Guest genaldar
i have tried pocket hack master to overclock the system but it continuously crashed when an application or well certain apps would start. like if i used finalburn, pocketsnes, pocketnesterplus, picodrive, any of those, pocket hack would crash soon as I left the program, it did well on overclocking but I'm wonderin if xcpuscalar works better..any ideas?

xcpuscaler shouldn't work as I believe that is only for xscale cpus. You can try omap clock (or anyone of the programs that integrate it) or the battery status today screen plugin (it includes the ability to overclock).

• 1 month later...
Guest mikehill33

Alright, newb Wing owner for a few weeks.

• Form factor is good.
  • Bluetooth works great
  • battery life is super
  • speakerphone is nice and loud.
  • ring tones loud as well.
  • Slider keyboard makes typing emails nice.
  • Button mapping is logical, and menus are organized clean and logical.
  • Running SPB which adds a nice touch.
  • 2GB memory stick means lots of room for pics, apps, etc..

• memory - why isn't the WM6 OS architected to dedicate a huge chunk of Application cache to the memory stick? low memory performance is so Windows 95 era.
    • Voice recognition - I was a former Samsung T719 owner and the voice recognition blew away the Wing! It would ask me in a voice and verify the command back to me. I was expecting WM6 to have something at LEAST on par.
    • Lock - sometimes when i lock the screen, the device still is sensitive to inputs, very annoying.

Overall, I am happy with the device.

Downloaded the SDK, but don't know if my architecture question can be solved/addressed with this or a firmware upgrade.

Thanks!

Mike.

• 3 months later...

pros:

relatively cheap price

nice form factor

superb battery life

WM6 preinstalled

cons:

no lavish features (GPS extender, etc)

originally clocked at 201mhz

Little initial RAM

Not a lot of community support (compared to the Touch, Kaiser, etc)

Paint on the buttons chip off over time

flimsy stylus

no 3G support (T-mo doesn't do 3G anyways)

Voice command sucks

Also, your pagepool guide was superb, Paul. :(

Edited by ducc

• 1 year later...
Guest camwinnn

the stock rom is pretty gay, hard-spl then put on a decent rom or flash with a small sd card to get the best use out of it.

the stock rom has noooo ram or storage, but after that it makes the phone amazing.

Rom: Juststable wwe

storage program

total: 52.41mb total: 49.83

in use: 5.05 in use: 26.62mb

free: 47:36 free: 23.21

there are some that offer +30mbs of ram an +70mbs of storage.

• 1 month later...

I myself ain't wing users, but one of my friends is. The cons are the price tag and the repair costs it has I heard and found in my research. The Pros are the touch screen, music capabilities and the expandable memory slot. :)

• 5 months later...