Cooking the Touch ROM

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

The past day or so I have been playing with the ROM on my Touch, using a few of the publicly available ROM tools in ways I hadn't used them before. I made some very interesting discoveries...

- The ROM is poorly set up, and there is 7MB of wasted (imgfs) space that cannot easily be reclaimed

- The ROM can be easily read using pdocread from itsutils

- The ROM can be easily extracted, edited and rebuilt using imgfstools and scoter's tools

- The ROM can be successfully flashed back onto the device via pdocwrite

- This is very dangerous, particularly until such time as a HTC Touch RUU (official flash) appears :rolleyes:

The 7MB of space I mention is similar to the situation with a lot of devices (e.g. the M700 that I described fixing), but on the Touch it's a particular shame as space is at such a premium. Unfortunately, the method I described in the M700 topic won't work to reclaim the space on the Touch, because there is no bootloader that allows unsigned code to be flashed.

HOWEVER, the fact ROMs can be reconstructed and flashed using pdocwrite (albeit rather dangerously), means that this 7MB can be 'filled up' with things to go in ROM, so at least then it's not wasted.

For example, I extracted the ROM, added Windows Live Search and a couple of my other favourite programs, rebuilt the ROM, flashed it back to the device and sure enough - after a hard reset, there they are, and I still have the same 'post hard reset space' I had before.

Neat eh?

:P

P

Guest jim.mason
Does anyone want a guide? :rolleyes:

P

Would definately be interested in a guide for this. Haven't bit the bullet yet, still debating on what phone/contract to get

Guest Shuflie
Does anyone want a guide? :rolleyes:

P

I don't have a Touch yet but it will most likely be my next device when my contract is up in October, anything that would improve it would be a gret benefit. When you were poking around in the ROM did you happen to notice if Voice command was in there but not activated, it is a WM6 device after all. If its not there do you think there would be enough space to pre install it?

Guest Paul (MVP)

Voice command isn't in ROM, but yes, there would definitely be enough space to drop it in.

I should point out this would definitely not a guide for the faint hearted, and definitely comes with a high bricking-risk factor :rolleyes:

P

Guest Shuflie

That shouldn't really be a problem in the first few days/weeks of contract. It a bit cheeky but all you need to do is tell T or O that it just stopped working.

Guest chucky.egg
a bit cheeky but all you need to do is tell T or O that it just stopped working.

This is where it gets delicate.

The official term for "a bit cheeky" is "fraud" - you're lying to the network to get something you are not really entitled to.

That said, if you're messing with the ROM from your device (rather than "cheekily sharing" ROMs and software), and you are prepared to take the risk then fair play to you.

I doubt it's something I'd do. Official ROM updates are nail-biting enough for me right now, and I have plenty of space on my Blackjack.

Now, if there was a demo on "soldering for beginners: memory upgrades in WM5 devices" then I might sign up :rolleyes:

Guest FrankyG

...and to think that I got an official warning for even mentioning XDA forums in the past :P ... how things change... :rolleyes:

Guest madds
That's the first one, pagepool editing...

P

Hi, and cid unlock???

That's what i'm looking for...

dopod has released a rom that fixes some stuff, including the shortage of memory... i would give it a go if i could...

Guest Paul (MVP)

Dopod haven't released any updates AFAIK, there IS a Dopod RUU out and about, but it's the same version as the HTC shipping version IIRC.

P

Guest madds

hi Paul,

i have this upgrade on my computer:

RUU_Elf_DOPODASIA_WWE_1.11.707.1B_4.1.13.42_02.93.90_Ship.exe

dopod ships with the 1.11.405 and they released this one to adress memory leaks.

I know in a few days the cid and sim unlock will be out to the touch! :)

Guest eskasi

Dude, I think I speak for MANY people here.....we are waiting for this news.....please update us folks asap. Never done a CID unlock before and desperate to do one.

• 3 weeks later...

CID unlock is still not here yet, not for free. =(

By the way Paul, can you please make a guide for the process and tools involved in cooking a Touch ROM? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest vinodb

I am sorry its not Paul , but Vic ,please avise me if there is NT UPDATE ON THE UNLOCKING OF THE htc TOUCH

hi Paul,

i have this upgrade on my computer:

dopod ships with the 1.11.405 and they released this one to adress memory leaks.

Guest vinodb
I am sorry its not Paul , but Vic ,please avise me if there is NT UPDATE ON THE UNLOCKING OF THE htc TOUCH
Yes there is a solution :)

Guest vinodb
CID unlock is still not here yet, not for free. =(

By the way Paul, can you please make a guide for the process and tools involved in cooking a Touch ROM? Thanks.

This may sound stupid , but how do you cook the rom on the Touch?

Guest albertD
Just spotted this over at XDA-Dev (free CID & no ext rom upgrade):

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=320407

Anyone game?

Thanks for the link dckiwi, I installed the rom on my touch and works great! it's faster than the original one :)

Also I removed the SIM-lock with this: http://www.unlock-now.com/elf/

Not free, but very cheap compared to other sites unlocking the touch... was about $20.

Guest lutzh

15 Euro = 20.68170 US Dollar for all the people that want to save big time!!!

anyway, i have done it with the german htc touch. worked like charm, thank you for the guide!

cheers, lutz

• 4 weeks later...