Liquid Cooling for PCs

Guest casper508

Guest casper508

I was out today checking the fair at Tottenham Court Rd when i came across this. Luckily for me I always carry the camera attachment.

These things do cost a bit but certainly it reduces the noise from the various fans running inside the CPU. I saw the whole system is operation and it looked very efficient. This can also help a great deal when overclocking the processors.

The water they use is distilled/ionised and it lasts 6-8 weeks and you simply top it up after that.

If anyone is interested in getting it done PM me and ill give you the address/email of the person concerned. But if Paul agrees then ill publish the details here.

Cheers

Cas

P.S. Couldn't find any floppy-drive-bay card-reader :lol:

IMAGE_00071.jpg

IMAGE_00070.jpg

IMAGE_00069.jpg

IMAGE_00068.jpg

Guest VaughanWoodall

Hi,

it certainly looks very extreme...surely purchasing a super silent fan would be safer??? water and electrics have a history of not going well together...hence the warnings on toasters and throwing them in baths etc

looks good for development though :lol:

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

You can hit minus temps with water cooling, show me a fan that can do that ;p

I nice project one day, especially if you cut a window into your case, fill the pipes with UV reactive dye and replace the colours CC tube with a black light one :lol:

Guest VaughanWoodall

It would certainly look radical...but minus temps with a water cooler???...might be an idea but surely the system would not run as efficiently???

Guest Syvwlch
It would certainly look radical...but minus temps with a water cooler???...might be an idea but surely the system would not run as efficiently???

:shock: one would assume so, yes. the PC as well once the sub zero water melts :roll:

of course, you could always use freon and a compressor... :twisted:

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Water can hit sub zero without freezing, hence rivers still flowing after a freeze etc...

Liquid nitrogen rocks, and the cooler the CPU core the more efficient it is (less electron collisions with vibrating atomic structures etc...)

Guest casper508

Im no expert on overclocking but isnt over-heating the main reason for overclocked processors not performing to potential?? If that were the case then this thing could really save some upgrading costs.

Cas

Guest casper508
You can hit minus temps with water cooling, show me a fan that can do that ;p

I nice project one day, especially if you cut a window into your case, fill the pipes with UV reactive dye and replace the colours CC tube with a black light one :lol:

Now THAT would be cool. I might just get it done just to see the effect ! ;)

Cas

Guest casper508
Why use water? there are plenty of other coolent options if the unit can take it.
Im sure it can. BTW whats the lowest temp a processor can survive at?

Ptth, liquid nitrogen is what you want..
and a little cabinet with two can holders :lol: ;)

Cas

P.S. I really shudve read all the replies first. :oops:

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

There is a picture knocking about the internet of a polystyrene cup full of liquid nitrogen taped on top of a CPU.

There is no lower limit, all you have to watch out for is expansion when you remove the cooling (if you do manage to get it to minus temperatures...)

Colder == better ;p

Guest awarner [MVP]
Ptth, liquid nitrogen is what you want..

You mean liquid oxygen that would take it down even more.

and I can get hold of both :lol:

Guest awarner [MVP]

BUT the melting point of oxygen IS lower than nitrogen by 9 degrees :lol:

so under correct pressure etc oxygen will stay liquid at a lower temp than

nitrogen.

info came from Factmonster.com

ps I'm waiting for my cryogenics course at work ;)

don't you love inhouse training.

Guest Richie M

I've already got a water-cooled PC :lol:

Very quite very cool ;)

I'd really like to buy :(

Premium Edition 

Idle, 0 W -32 °C / -25.6 °F 

Full load, 100 W -13 °C / 8.6 °F 

But around £400 for a case is a bit much :shock:

Well, distilled (pure) wates IS actually supposed to freeze at zero temperatures, but rivers have got impure water with additions and other chemicals/minerals, so the temp of freezing is different.. Nitrogen is usually used to bring it to minus temps and the colder the wires/circuits are the better they conduct, so true, there's no feasable limit to what a processor can withstand.. But I'm no scientist..

PS: there was a project once to use "gas circuits" instead of metal ones coz gas has a higher conductivity speed, but it packed up... imagine calling a plumber every time there's a little hallogen leak... hehehe

Guest Richie M

Most water cool systems have anti freeze in the water anyway, but you never get too cold with water (cos basically the water is cooled in a radiator like a car) also when you get to freezing temperatures condensation is a problem - there is loads and loads about this all over the net.

Some of the "new" coolers use evaporation principles and there are some refridgeration devices available.

Yes i've seen the liquid nitrogen cooling - not very practical :roll:

Guest Gorskar

Under high pressure however liquid water can be brought to much colder temperatures than 0 deg celsius. This being due to water having the rare property of expanding when it freezes, which is clearly not possible under high pressure - hence why the depths of the ocean do not freeze, when they are much colder than 0 degrees.

Guest siu99spj
Water can hit sub zero without freezing, hence rivers still flowing after a freeze etc...

Liquid nitrogen rocks, and the cooler the CPU core the more efficient it is (less electron collisions with vibrating atomic structures etc...)

Yeah, but you have to be careful. Make it too cold and you actually start to FREEZE the transistors. Frozen transistors don't switch efficiently, if at all. From my thesis (Electrothermodynamics :shock: ) transistors work best between -30C to -130C depending on the type, material (Silicon/germanium) strain and distance from the coldest point. Well, actually it gets more technical than that but I ain't got the time or space to get out my formulas. :mrgreen:

Then there's condensation to worry about. Make sure your system is airtight (or at least wherever you put the extreme cooling), including that space UNDER the CPU. Most common cause of water colling malfuntions is that.

And finally, if you want a simple cooling solution, just build your PC in a fridge :shock: or something. It works and you can snake most smaller cables through the doors to CD drives, floppy drives, keyboard and monitor. Or, go really nuts and mod the fridge side panels though you'll need to make it a damn good fit or else you'll have leaks and overload the motor. :lol:

Simon 8)