Wing IMGFS - making the most of the Storage Memory

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

I've just extracted the Storage Memory (IMGFS) from my Wing and rebuilt it.

Here's the process I went thru:

- Extract ROM

- Extract IMGFS

- convert IMGFS to dump

- convert dump to packages

- delete IR packages

- compress Office executables using UPX

- compress Adobe Reader LE using UPX

- convert back to dump

- convert back to IMGFS

Here's the lowdown:

IMGFS before: 60.62 MB

IMGFS after: 54.91 MB

As you can see, this gives us over 5.5MB to play with in IMGFS. We can't unfortunately 'reclaim' this space (at the moment at least), but we can use it for other things. I'm thinking that by moving the stuff that's in EXTROM at the moment (i.e. installed at first boot) here, we can gain that space so we should have a bit more 'Storage Memory' free at startup. That won't use the whole 5.5MB, so we can potentially drop something else useful in ROM, maybe Opera and a couple of other must have apps.

Sadly, this is all theory at the moment because i'm not brave enough to do the flash until a Wing RUU comes out and I have a recovery strategy... so let's hope one surfaces soon and we can get this done!

P

• 1 month later...
Guest transportguy

- Extract ROM

- Extract IMGFS

- convert IMGFS to dump

- delete IR packages

- convert back to dump

- convert back to IMGFS

Here's the lowdown:

As you can see, this gives us over 5.5MB to play with in IMGFS. We can't unfortunately 'reclaim' this space (at the moment at least), but we can use it for other things. I'm thinking that by moving the stuff that's in EXTROM at the moment (i.e. installed at first boot) here, we can gain that space so we should have a bit more 'Storage Memory' free at startup. That won't use the whole 5.5MB, so we can potentially drop something else useful in ROM, maybe Opera and a couple of other must have apps.

Sadly, this is all theory at the moment because i'm not brave enough to do the flash until a Wing RUU comes out and I have a recovery strategy... so let's hope one surfaces soon and we can get this done!

P

Paul, now that the RUU is out, do you think that you could experiment with the IMGFS?

Guest genaldar

Would it be possible to replace adobe reader with foxit reader? Or maybe the htc file browser replaced with the latest beta of total commander. Or the contact manager replaced with Pocket CM. Of course I'd also like to see microsoft reader (what can I say I like .lit), weather watcher, tcpmp, psshutxp, wm5torage, and battery status included as well.

• 3 months later...
Guest ivanmmj

Did anything ever come of this?

I can currently make a pretty small os.nb, but since no one has figured out a way to get either BIGStorage nor a merged storage/extROM for the wing, yet, it's all wasted.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
Guest the_e_man

- Extract ROM

- Extract IMGFS

- convert IMGFS to dump

- delete IR packages

- convert back to dump

- convert back to IMGFS

Here's the lowdown:

P

Paul can you give similar instructions for the IMGFS flash as the Program Files Flash?