The official HTC Kaiser (P4550) 'Ask Paul' thread

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

29-Jun-2007_kaiser.jpg

It's here! It's here! It's here! :) (Na Na Na Na Naa) :D

It's the HTC Kaiser, HTC's new mega Pocket PC due for release around August this year. For me this device logical culmination of a Pocket PC development over the last few years... I am now in posession (loan!) of a HTC Kaiser, with it's Qualcomm 7200 processor, 3MP AUTOFOCUS camera, WiFi, GPS and QWERTY sprung slider... it's beautiful ;)

I've recently been using a T-Mobile Wing, and although it's a GREAT device, i've been thinking 'every day I love you less and less' due to the lack of GPS and the 200MHz TI OMAP that just sometimes doesn't make the grade. 3G too, 'I thought I can do without you', but I can't. Is the Kaiser the answer?

First impressions... Oh my god!

The device arrived, in time honoured tradition for HTC prototypes, in a white box. But then you don't need a fancy box when what's inside is as stunning as the Kaiser. It's substantially smaller than the TYTN (and with it's new Qualcomm 7200 chipset, hopefully the heat dies down during 3G use). It's has a functional yet attractive design, with an abundance of hardware buttons and the great tilting screen. As well as the Start, OK, Soft Keys, Bright Green and Ruby Red keys, the front face includes dedicated PIE and Mail keys.

Finally, the Kaiser is the device that proves you can have it all... in a compact form factor!

It's difficult to find any faults on this prototype at this stage... ExtUSB means no regular headphone port (as is the modern way for HTC devices) and the shiny black back a-la-P3600 is a fingerprint magnet but hey, I can cope.

Do I think the Kaiser will be a success when it launches from HTC, T-Mobile, AT&T (and probably everyone else) later this year? Oh yes, I predict a riot! :D

HTC... you've made my dream device at last and by comparison everything is average nowadays. Kudos to you :P

Got questions? Ask away (although I have limited connectivity for the next fortnight, so expect slow replies!)

P

Guest markdotpeters5

Nie one, thanks. I'm really looking forward to this device, I reckon it'll be the first one to switch me back to Windows Mobile permanently!

Guest darkness inc

Hi paul

I met you way back at pocketgpsworld expo, anyway nice phone. Would you please take some comparison pictures with the

HTC Tytn and some video.

Does the device feel heavy etc, what does it feel like in a tracksuit bottom?

Guest Alex (nedge2k)

hmm...hope they make the kb bigger on the final ver....lots of wasted space there.

still, awesome device cant wait to get my hands on one!

oh and i dont like the magician(v1)-esque ribbed-ness of the body....looks like it has fat rolls or summin :)

Edited by Alex (nedge2k)

Guest mikeeey

so what happened to the white number keys? is that only on AT&T version?

btw when you take pictures can you show us how well it takes pics at night? also some close up's to see how good it's autofocus is? thanks.

Guest Paul (MVP)

As I understand it the light keys are on the very early prototypes, units such as this that are basically production hardware DON'T have that keyboard.

Night time pics, sure, altho no flash will prolly mean they are a bit dark.

P

Guest Paul (MVP)

Since i'm sitting in a room that's VERY low light, I took a quick pic of the fireplace... see below. More pics to follow!

P

post-1-1183153727_thumb.jpg

Guest mikeeey
I should add that is on normal mode, not night.

P

wow this camera is perfect. now wonder they took the flash out, its not even needed anymore. cant wait to get this phone!

Guest Paul (MVP)

I should point out the ROM isn't finalised for the Kaiser yet, so there will still be changes between the unit I have and production.

P

Looks like Pauls done it again, glad to see your got your unit in the end. Nice photo too, Quality seems much better than previous HTC units.

Yes white keys are the very earlie ones, Rom was older than the one I had, Most of them went to A&T in the USA used for demos only. GPS was not installed in the device neither. If you take the battery cover off at the top you can see what features your prototype has i.e UTMS,GPS and so on.

I must say them white keys make the device ugly imo.

Edited by Guest

I'd be interested to know how long it takes from switching on the power button to being able to click start? Would like to compare it to my old Vario...

Also, how fragile does the sliding mech feel now that it moves up as well as sliding?

However, it doesn't matter what the answers are, I'm still going to have one! :) :P ;)

Guest funkychicken9000

Any idea what sort of price we're looking at for one of these, say on a flext 25 tarrif? I'm sorely tempted as I'm due an upgrade at the end of august...

Guest mikeeey
Any idea what sort of price we're looking at for one of these, say on a flext 25 tarrif? I'm sorely tempted as I'm due an upgrade at the end of august...

since it's supposed to be a replacement for the 8525/TyTN, my guess is around $700.00. im only saying this because i really dont think they're gonna charge a whole lot more for a replacement. hopefully its $600 though.

Guest nuttyphilt

Not sure about the Kaiser Chief puns :) but a couple of questions:

1. I have a M3100 and seriously want something smaller. How does it feel in terms of weight and overall dimensions to the Hermes?

2. Can you confirm if it's a Sirfstar GPS or the gpsOne?