Paul Reviews.... the HTC TyTN II (Kaiser)

Guest PaulOBrien

And where can I get tihis CoolCamera? How does it costs?

But I still didn't understand weither or not you could use i for your computer.... Can I?

Ateksoft. The webcamera application used to be built in to CoolCamera, but it is now a standalone application called WebCamera Plus. It acts as a webcamera for your PC over an ActiveSync connection with your PC or Wifi - very neat! It would be great if they could make it an audio input/output device too (which is possible if they wrote the drivers), so you could talk and hear your friends at the same time, as you walk around the house :)

I just thought of one reason to use CoolCamera on modern HTC devices - if you need pictures or video from the front camera. If not, it really doesn't appear to add much to the newer devices in my opinion. It provided a great improvement on older devices, where the camera application was slow for video footage but not so useful any more.

Guest crafty
Hi, how does the kaiser compare in size to the M700.

Paul posted two comparison photos of the very first post in this thread:

kaisertrinityfront.jpg

kaisertrinitybase.jpg

I hope that they bring out a thinner keyboard-less kaiser!

Guest nuttyphilt
Paul posted two comparison photos of the very first post in this thread:

I hope that they bring out a thinner keyboard-less kaiser!

Check out the HTC Polaris. That's the one for me...

Guest crafty
Check out the HTC Polaris. That's the one for me...

Hmmmm never really liked the Artemis's scroll wheel/track ball thingy but do like the sound of a VGA display. Basically i want my Trinity but thinner, with the Kaiser's processor and memory, SiRF III receiver, FM radio and a VGA display. Full sized SD card would also be great to get 8GB storage! Is that too much to ask?!

Guest Nilist
Hmmmm never really liked the Artemis's scroll wheel/track ball thingy but do like the sound of a VGA display. Basically i want my Trinity but thinner, with the Kaiser's processor and memory, SiRF III receiver, FM radio and a VGA display. Full sized SD card would also be great to get 8GB storage! Is that too much to ask?!

Eten X800? :)

Guest mikeeey
Eten X800? :)

the X800 doesnt have as much Ram though, nor a keyboard. not sure if the keyboard was a requirement for crafty though

Guest mikeeey
QWERTY keyboard? :)

the X800 does not have a QWERTY keyboard. im sure they will make an upgraded version with one eventually, but for now there is none..

Guest mikeeey
i heard they're releasing the M700+ soon?

you know they're gonna keep releasing more and more. not sure how soon soon is tho.

but hey lets get back on topic.

its mid july...any kaiser updates anyone?

Guest A Shiny Demon

August 25 I can get a new phone with my AT&T plan. I really want the Kaiser, but I'm eyeing the $70 8525 at Amazon.com. I've done quite a bit of research on both phones, but I would just like to summarize and confirm the advantages of the Kaiser:

"Faster" - different architecture and whatnot

More RAM

More ROM

Flip-up screen thingy - possibly just a gimmick? or possibly extremely useful?

Currently, official WM6, but hopefully changing soon for the 8525 *crosses fingers*

GPS

Autofocus/higher resolution camera (but no flash)

Did I leave out anything?

Oh, and here's a question: I've never owned a smartphone or PDA phone before, but I'm very used to a snappy, responsive computer. Would I even be bothered by the "sluggishness" that many people seem to report about the 8525? The speed seems to be the selling for me for the Kaiser, as I would never use GPS and the special screen hinge seems fairly worthless - though still incredibly awesome - as I already have a separate PMP. I've also heard that it might be delayed by the whole Broadcom/Qualcomm mess. Any responses are appreciated.

Edited by A Shiny Demon

Guest mikeeey
August 25 I can get a new phone with my AT&T plan. I really want the Kaiser, but I'm eyeing the $70 8525 at Amazon.com. I've done quite a bit of research on both phones, but I would just like to summarize and confirm the advantages of the Kaiser:

"Faster" - different architecture and whatnot

More RAM

More ROM

Flip-up screen thingy - possibly just a gimmick? or possibly extremely useful?

Currently, official WM6, but hopefully changing soon for the 8525 *crosses fingers*

GPS

Autofocus/higher resolution camera (but no flash)

Did I leave out anything?

Oh, and here's a question: I've never owned a smartphone or PDA phone before, but I'm very used to a snappy, responsive computer. Would I even be bothered by the "sluggishness" that many people seem to report about the 8525? The speed seems to be the selling for me for the Kaiser, as I would never use GPS and the special screen hinge seems fairly worthless - though still incredibly awesome - as I already have a separate PMP. I've also heard that it might be delayed by the whole Broadcom/Qualcomm mess. Any responses are appreciated.

well that is hard to decipher upon, but i would go with the kaiser. i think that once u had the 8525 and u realized u could have had so much more, your going to have wanted the kaiser more. and what is the Broadcom/Qualcomm mess? is that the thing about the FCC not liking how well its signal is lol.

Guest mikeeey

i have a question for paul. on this 19 minute review (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=79...h&plindex=6) at 8:13 it shows all of the ROM and RAM memory. why does it say it only has a total of 146.98mb of Rom? i mean i can understand roughly 20-30mb less than it really says but i mean this is like 110mb less!

Edited by mikeeey

Guest A Shiny Demon
well that is hard to decipher upon, but i would go with the kaiser. i think that once u had the 8525 and u realized u could have had so much more, your going to have wanted the kaiser more. and what is the Broadcom/Qualcomm mess? is that the thing about the FCC not liking how well its signal is lol.

Broadcom and Qualcomm are currently in a patent dispute, and a ban on importation is in place. Nobody seems to know for sure whether or not it affects the Kaiser, and if so, how long the ban will last. And like you said, what I'm really afraid of is getting the 8525 and being disappointed for 2 years, although I'm sure it's also an amazing device. It will probably all come down to the price difference and the fact that I need a phone fairly soon since my good one just died and I'm stuck on a Samsung x427m :)

Guest Light Jump

Paul,

I have one question on the battery of Kaiser. I understand that Kaiser has a battery of 1350mAh. This makes me wonder whether it is exactly the same battery as those found on Hermes and Apache.

If this is true, then we can use the standard battery of 1500mAh from Sedio or extra-capacity one (3200mAh) from the same company. This can save us buying new extra battery if we switch to Kaiser later. (I understand the battery door will be different, but I am sure that Seido will match that easily).

Thanks.

Guest Light Jump
The battery itself is different i'm afraid.

P (at Orlando airport)

Thanks for the reply. It is a pity that HTC changes battery size this time even without changing capacity. But it is worthwhile to switch anyway. :)

I hope that Seidio will manufacture a 1500mAh battery of the same size again. That way, the battery can at least match that of Titan. I know the difference is small, but sometime whether juice runs out at 8pm or 10pm matters. <_<

Guest A Shiny Demon

Alright, here's a possibly stupid question. I'll be spending the next 4 years of my life on a campus that has complete WiFi coverage, or so they say, so I don't plan on buying any kind of data plan from AT&T. If I'm browsing, checking email, whatever, via WiFi, and suddenly lose my WiFi signal or step into a dead area, will the phone automatically switch to 3G or whatever cell service is available for data and kill my phone bill?

Guest craftonc

I noticed on one review that this phone has the PTT button on it. Does anyone know if that is expected to remain on the AT&T version?

Guest zemac
Alright, here's a possibly stupid question. I'll be spending the next 4 years of my life on a campus that has complete WiFi coverage, or so they say, so I don't plan on buying any kind of data plan from AT&T. If I'm browsing, checking email, whatever, via WiFi, and suddenly lose my WiFi signal or step into a dead area, will the phone automatically switch to 3G or whatever cell service is available for data and kill my phone bill?

If you don't configure the data settings on the phone it can't use the 3G data network at all, and therefore not charge your phone bill. On the 8525 you can also turn off data connections, which doesn't disable wifi connections.

Guest A Shiny Demon
If you don't configure the data settings on the phone it can't use the 3G data network at all, and therefore not charge your phone bill. On the 8525 you can also turn off data connections, which doesn't disable wifi connections.

Thanks, great to know. My current phone has a button set to launch IM, and I'm always afraid it's going to charge me for accidentally hitting that. Hidden charges are the devil, glad to see they've incorporated a way to beat that. :)

Guest mikeeey
Broadcom and Qualcomm are currently in a patent dispute, and a ban on importation is in place. Nobody seems to know for sure whether or not it affects the Kaiser, and if so, how long the ban will last. And like you said, what I'm really afraid of is getting the 8525 and being disappointed for 2 years, although I'm sure it's also an amazing device. It will probably all come down to the price difference and the fact that I need a phone fairly soon since my good one just died and I'm stuck on a Samsung x427m :)

the kaiser is ready to be realeased soon so my assumption is that the devices that come out after the kaiser will be affected by this.

Guest Paul (MVP)

Mine is very similar actually... hadn't really thought about it, but it is kinda odd, i'll have a snoop around and see what's going on :)

P

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.