BlackJack Charging Cradle Available

Guest MadSci

Guest MadSci

Surfing around I found this charging cradle for the BlackJack! :P

It looks a little lame, with the cord on the left side connecting to the phone and it only charges via USB, not by the 'included' home charger (as far as I can tell from the text anyway). :)

Not really what I'm looking for, I want the charging contacts to be engaged directly by the cradle, like the various Star Trek cradles did. Nevertheless, it's a good start, and it does at least charge the spare batteries too. Don;t know if it can hendle the upgraded large ones in the battery slot.

FYI!

MadSci

Guest MadSci
Surfing around I found this charging cradle for the BlackJack! :P

It looks a little lame, with the cord on the left side connecting to the phone and it only charges via USB, not by the 'included' home charger (as far as I can tell from the text anyway). :)

Not really what I'm looking for, I want the charging contacts to be engaged directly by the cradle, like the various Star Trek cradles did. Nevertheless, it's a good start, and it does at least charge the spare batteries too. Don;t know if it can hendle the upgraded large ones in the battery slot.

FYI!

MadSci

I found the same item for sale at various proces. The additional text in these items make si clear that the Phone is ONLY charged via the USB cable, while the extra battery is ONLY charged by the wall charger that comes with the cradle.

Guest Alpha4

Hi MadSci,

It's me again :) I just taken delivery (from the USA) of one of these cradle jobbys for my SGH-i600. It fits in fine.

However, you're right about the charging: Mains charges the spare battery, whilst phone is charged and synced with the separate USB cable. It's not that bad really for £15.

Two things to report: I don't think the speaker-phone function can be used whilst it's in the cradle, as the seating slot for the phone covers the mic. Screen does not stay on, as phone is on USB charge not mains charging. I'm looking for a solution to this.

Don't know about extended battery as I don't have one.

Guest MadSci
Hi MadSci,

It's me again :) I just taken delivery (from the USA) of one of these cradle jobbys for my SGH-i600. It fits in fine.

However, you're right about the charging: Mains charges the spare battery, whilst phone is charged and synced with the separate USB cable. It's not that bad really for £15.

Two things to report: I don't think the speaker-phone function can be used whilst it's in the cradle, as the seating slot for the phone covers the mic. Screen does not stay on, as phone is on USB charge not mains charging. I'm looking for a solution to this.

Don't know about extended battery as I don't have one.

Thanks for the 'Hands On" report. As I said, it sounds ok for what it does. I got hooked on 'cradles' for the various flip-phone Smartphones I've owned. In that application a cracdle is really valuable as it can allow you to charge, synch and still answer the phone and see what's on the full screen. For a candybar like the BlackJack, that's not so hard to achieve while sitting on the desk, so a cradle, while it makes things look much tidier, is less important to me.

Since I leave my desk often, being able to just grab the phone and go is also important. Samsung, like many manufacturers, are missing the importance of placing the connector on the bottom to facilitate this. I didn't care for the side cord on my phone or this cradle. My Star Trek also had a side port, but a cradle was made that allowed you to slide it in sideways. I was rather hoping for soemthing like that for the BJ.

Still, I might have bitten, except for your revelation that the Speakerphone won't work while it's in the cradle. A deal killer for ma as almost all my business calls come in to my cell.

Of course, others will find this cradle a good mix of functionality and price. Each to their own, that's why I posted it to begin with.

Thanks Alpha$ for adding your $0.02! :P

Guest Alpha4

***Update*** Beep Beep ***Update*** Beep Beep

Erm, I found out that the cradle DOES work on speakerphone perfectly well... IF you don't push the phone right down into

the slot. It's still stable in the cradle (sounds like Eminem :) ) but the mic is just uncovered enough to use.

Anyone know a one-button shortcut to switch on the speakerphone on the SGH-i600?

And I got the screen to stay on in the cradle by changing settings randomly :P in Power Settings 'til I found the right one.

Understand what you say about the side connector, but it's not that bad, sort of a 'Steam Punk' look. Plus the USB connection is used for syncing as well as USB trickle charging.

All in all, it's better than leaving the phone lying, tethered, skidding around, under pieces of paper on my desk. Looks neater, more professsional somehow.

Guest MadSci
***Update*** Beep Beep ***Update*** Beep Beep

Erm, I found out that the cradle DOES work on speakerphone perfectly well... IF you don't push the phone right down into

the slot. It's still stable in the cradle (sounds like Eminem :) ) but the mic is just uncovered enough to use.

Anyone know a one-button shortcut to switch on the speakerphone on the SGH-i600?

And I got the screen to stay on in the cradle by changing settings randomly :P in Power Settings 'til I found the right one.

Understand what you say about the side connector, but it's not that bad, sort of a 'Steam Punk' look. Plus the USB connection is used for syncing as well as USB trickle charging.

All in all, it's better than leaving the phone lying, tethered, skidding around, under pieces of paper on my desk. Looks neater, more professsional somehow.

Now you're seducing me you litle Devil ;)

So if I get this right, when it's in the cradle the speakerphone DOES work if you handle it 'just so', and if the sync connection is made it DOES charge (albeit more slowly). Sounds much more tempting now, and the battery will not be drawn down by having the display on all day. Hmmmm

FYI, to turn on the Speakerphone, press and hold the "pick up" button (the one with the green phone handset symbol). After a couple of seconds the Speakerphone will turn on. It's safe to do this during a call.

You can also change to the Speakerphone Profile before putting it into the Cradle. The 3 step method is to press the Power button quickly and let go. Then press '7' (or scroll down) to select "more", then press 5 (or scroll down) to select "Speakerphone"

This way, the phone will answer ALL incoming calls as a speakerphone until you change the profile back to normal (press the power button, then 5

to select "Normal").

Note to Samsung, heck for all Smartphone producers. When the phone is plugged into a charger, or synching with a computer, it should switch into "Speakerphone" mode automatically!

Any of you Hackers out there that want to take on the challenge of turning this idea into code will be worshipped by a greatful populace :D

MadSci

Edited by MadSci

Guest chucky.egg
TSamsung, like many manufacturers, are missing the importance of placing the connector on the bottom

Totally agree.

It can be a pain if the headphone socket is there (not that I use my phone for MP3s anymore), but on the whole I'd rather have it on the base and have the option for better cradles and stuff