I have a Tosh G900

Guest ripnet

Guest ripnet

Hi,

It arrived this morning :) Clove did good

First Impressions

Good

1. Its Faaaaaast. WizBar lite comes up immediately, programs switch quickly

2. The screen - obviously - i can finally see the entire M25 region on screen at once on Mapopolis

3. The keyboard action - its much more 'positive' than the hermes

4. The screen - again - its beautiful. Ive not tried it in sunlight yet (aparently its not transflective, hope its not as bad as the sony T610)

5. The 'feel' of the device is lovely

6. Built in Opera - im modaco plus anyway, but having it in rom is great as its a large app

7. Lack of 'crapware' - the homescreen is pretty much as microsoft intended, (obviously) no orange / tmob crap

8. Its sooooooooo fast

9. Camera button is push and hold - i was forever accedentially pressing camera on my hermes which sucked as it took ages

10. Camera software is better than hermes - the icons make sense :P

Bad

1. Speaker is very quiet, even on max - the hermes had a PA system as a speaker

[uPDATE - It helps to remove the camera protector film, which covers the speaker ;) ]

2. No Remote Desktop client (very very bad - i hope i can lift the one from Hermes)

[uPDATE - Installed a warez'ed Remote desktop client - works, but only up to 640x480, and only in landscape... still thats 4x better than the hermes...]

3. My old Hermes charger doesnt charge it unless its only half plugged in. The Tosh charger is fine tho

Unsure yet

1. Video playback in TCPMP - it can just playback full screen video, but scaling sucks, and goes very slowly. Not done much testing yet, but a sample 800x480 video DID play back. I will post more as I play

[update still seems jerkey on all resolutions - hopefully this thing has a gpu and hopefully someone will make a player that uses it]

2. Screen shape - its a bit narrower than the hermes, but longer. Not sure if I like it yet

Specs

128meg ram, 64meg flash (of which around 54 megs was free)

overall - its definately a keeper

Anything else others want me to test?

g

Edited by ripnet

Guest Crazyapp

Please, do more trying with tcpmp. Does a movie play correctly? no sync errors? This is my primary concern right now.

Any thoughts on battery life?

Thanks ;-)

Guest ripnet

I am testing various videos now - ive encoded the same program at 800x480 at 2 bitrates (low/high) and 400x240 at low bitrate. I will check them out and post back. They are all DivX encoded from UK Digital TV (freeview) using mythtv to capture, and mencoder to encode with dual pass...

So far, it doesnt seem to have the sync problems I was getting on the hermes (but not the Wizard before it)

Sorry to hammer a point, but the speed is amazing - in resco explorer, going into the /windows directory takes < 1s now, whereas it was a wait and a half on the (already quite fast)hermes... im loving it mostly for this atm

Im not liking the keyboard tho - ive just turned off some crappy predictive text feature, and it seems better, updates soon

g

Please, do more trying with tcpmp. Does a movie play correctly? no sync errors? This is my primary concern right now.

Any thoughts on battery life?

Thanks ;-)

Guest ripnet

Another update

It plays all those videos perfect - ive discovered it slows right up when plugged into a pc via usb... damn activesync

The remote desktop thing - i was too quick to say it didnt work properly... when i checked the options to limit rdp server screen size to the g900's screen size, it works oh, oh so well :)

I think that its pretty much perfect now... only thing missing is gps - im gonna get one of those keychain ones when they come out

Anyone wanna buy a nokia 770? i think mine has been used for the last time now i have the tosh - its THAT good!

g

/happy

Guest Metoo

A few q's...

How's the phone signal performance and audio quality?

Any play/wobble at all in the case when closed (one major annoyance I've found with all sliders)?

Does the fingerprint reader work reliably?

How's the size and weight? Does it look brick-like in real life?

How quick is the screen rotation? This looked quite slow (2-3s) in the YouTube vids.

Any apps not working in 800x480? Do these revert to 640x480 or pixel doubled 320x240, i.e. just use the top 2 thirds of the screen? One of the Youtube vids suggested even the Phone screen did that?

Does it work with SDHC cards?

Are you able to try TomTom?

Edited by Metoo

Guest ripnet

A few q's...

> How's the phone signal performance and audio quality?

Ive not taken a call yet, but i dialed 150 and it was crystal clear, sounded better than hermes IMHO

> Any play/wobble at all in the case when closed (one major annoyance I've found with all sliders)?

Not like the HTC sliders. its got a very nice positive feel to opening and closing (spring loaded). There is some play, but i prefer it to hermes

> Does the fingerprint reader work reliably?

Sorry, no idea - i think the fingerprint reader is a daft idea. Im trying it as a mousepad tho, and it defo works, will take time to see if its proper usable tho.

> How's the size and weight? Does it look brick-like in real life?

I like it. Feels more like a nokia phone than a MS smartphone, which is a complement. Quite heavy, but i like that. Definately better than hermes in that respect

> How quick is the screen rotation? This looked quite slow (2-3s) in the YouTube vids.

Thats because it was about to crash if its the one with the Italian Toshiba Babe in it, in real life, quicker than hermes by far, although not thoroughly tested yet.

> Any apps not working in 800x480? Do these revert to 640x480 or pixel doubled 320x240, i.e. just use the top 2 thirds of the screen? One of the Youtube vids suggested even the Phone screen did that?

Not had any apps not work. Most are able to use the full res, although a couple (im looking at you newsgator) use HUGE fonts, to fit exactly the same amount of content as a tiny 320x240 screen has.

> Does it work with SDHC cards?

Now theres a question I would love to know the answer to. I bought a 4gb minisd off ebay ready for the tosh, but i think i was ripped off, as research has told me there is no such thing as a 4gb minisd card, only SDHC cards, which require firmware / software support. The card seemed to work for a bit, but now if i plug it into windows / linux strange things happen... I think its just a smaller card with a false partition table.

If SDHC worked, I would buy a 4 giga straight away, as that was one of the draws of the g900 - minisd which is available up to 4gb

> Are you able to try TomTom?

Yes, tomtom6 seems to work great so far. Not fully tested. Looks very nice on screen. A little slow to update in browse map mode.

g

Guest mattyduk

So, when you are browsing the web via IE or Opera, it actually is at 800*480 ? not like the universal without se_vga ?

Guest Metoo

Great replies, thanks Ripnet. I was waiting for the E90 but this i ssooo tempting. The only reason I got rid of my XDA Exec was because it was impractical as a phone... looks like this could be the replacement...

Guest ripnet
So, when you are browsing the web via IE or Opera, it actually is at 800*480 ? not like the universal without se_vga ?

A picture says 1000 words... like wow!

(hermes vs. G900 on BBC homepage on fullscreen opera)

(and on modaco)

im no photographer btw - both screens are crystal clear, and fully readable (by me)...

i used a cut down martin fields PSP screen protector to keep the screen nice (PSP ones are huge - you can make 2 or 3 phone protectors out of them)

post-117400-1183466956_thumb.jpg

post-117400-1183467009_thumb.jpg

Edited by ripnet

Guest ripnet
Great replies, thanks Ripnet. I was waiting for the E90 but this i ssooo tempting. The only reason I got rid of my XDA Exec was because it was impractical as a phone... looks like this could be the replacement...

Yeah, im liking it... will know for sure in 2 months time....

g

Guest mattyduk

(and on modaco)

im no photographer btw - both screens are crystal clear, and fully readable (by me)...

i used a cut down martin fields PSP screen protector to keep the screen nice (PSP ones are huge - you can make 2 or 3 phone protectors out of them)

thanks for that. looks amazing - I think my Tytn's due for an accident some time :)

Guest ripnet
Is it possible to playback movies directly from the usb key? thanks for the replies ;-)

Im trying to try that now... but im having agro with my usb pen (nothing to do with G900, more to do with it having a odd partition from being used as a linux boot disk)... will get back on that one. Im hoping to be able to do this

g

Guest Crazyapp
Im trying to try that now... but im having agro with my usb pen (nothing to do with G900, more to do with it having a odd partition from being used as a linux boot disk)... will get back on that one. Im hoping to be able to do this

g

Thanks, it would save a lot of space from the minisd :)

Guest ripnet

Battery == 1320

How long it lasts? much too early to say, been plugged in most of today.

Today is not going to be a day when I can lay my hands on a usb plug, or a reader that uses :)

g

Guest ripnet

Just got TCPMP working much nicer - directdraw video output doesnt work, but if you set an option in settings for directdraw, it does, and its a LOT smoother

even high bitrate (800x400 512 video, 192 sound plays back. Looks beautiful. A small amount of frame dropping.

Lower bitrate plays back fine (800x400 256/96). All files are divx from digital tv via mencoder.

:wq

Its BEAUTIFUL

g

Guest jamesst

(and on modaco)

Those pictures say it all...

It was between the Kaiser and the G900 for me. Defo going to get the G900 now.

Thanks! :)

Guest Crazyapp
Just got TCPMP working much nicer - directdraw video output doesnt work, but if you set an option in settings for directdraw, it does, and its a LOT smoother

even high bitrate (800x400 512 video, 192 sound plays back. Looks beautiful. A small amount of frame dropping.

Lower bitrate plays back fine (800x400 256/96). All files are divx from digital tv via mencoder.

:wq

Its BEAUTIFUL

g

Does it fill the whole screen like a 16:9 screen or does it show black stripes?

Guest kapot

Could you make some photos?

Does it has autofocus? Flash?

I am now confuse whether G900 or wait for the HTC Kaiser.

I do like the screen so much.

Help! :)

Guest ripnet
Does it fill the whole screen like a 16:9 screen or does it show black stripes?

I encoded it at 800x400 and factors thereof, and it DID fill the screen

g

Guest Metoo

How does the screen cope in daylight/sunlight? Comments over on Expansys suggest it becomes invisible- but seems to have stood up to your camera flash OK?

Guest scott_donald

playing with mine right now...

the volume sucks... what did you remove to get more volume???

and the screen does suck in sunlight was golfing and took it with me adn struggled to see it...

Guest Metoo
playing with mine right now...

the volume sucks... what did you remove to get more volume???

and the screen does suck in sunlight was golfing and took it with me adn struggled to see it...

It was the protective tape over the camera.

How was it in normal daylight - could you see the screen if you shaded it with your hand?

Did the battery last for 9 holes or 18?

I'm thinking these factors could be show-stoppers if you intended to use it for GPS - outdoors or in the car.

Edited by Metoo